“a tired unadventourous menu”

The Village Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 752 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Situated in the historic Barbican area this restaurant is apparently a bit of a Plymouth institution?..
in the days before the Tanner Brothers and the newly arrived Gary Rhodes @ The Dome maybe as it had no competition, but on my visit I found nothing that would draw me back of my own accord.
There appears to be an extensive Seafood menu but it is only because most of the dishes use a variation of the same ingredients....prawns, Scallops, Sole, . This gave me the impression that the either the Chef loves these ingredients or that they are not brought in fresh everyday.
There was only 1 seafood special, an overpriced version of school dinner Fish 'n' Mash.
Unfortunately the ambience and staff attitude could not counter-balance the averageness of the food.
The female Waitress was friendly and efficient though I found the man who I assume was the owner who brought our Main course to be brusque. My Partner who recently returned to meat after 25 years of Vegetarianism had wanted to try the much vaunted Sirloin steak, and chose it Medium. However on it's arrival it was too pink inside to be medium with a result that the VERY red juices ran into the accompanying Stilton sauce (which looked 'split' ). My Partner asked if she could have it cooked slightly more as she realised she should have asked for "on the well done side of medium". The owners attitude was " well you should have asked for that, and the Chef will be annoyed". The plate was taken away and returned with the steak "plonked" on to the original sauce followed by the Owner bringing the original potatoes from the plate back to my Partner on a saucer!.........but on the plus side the steak was of high quality.
We are both polite, experienced restaurant go-ers and do not seek and relish faults but Unfortunately because of his attitude I probably will not give The Village a second visit.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We have now visited this restaurant four times and have had great food each time. I highly recommend the sirloin steak. The prices are slightly above average but the steak is certainly worth it.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Tables were too close to one another making it look like a cafe, not to be recommended if you are looking for an intimate meal. We went there as the fish was recommended. The starter was average. Main course was nice but not exceptional as the sauce was tasteless, but at least you were given vegetables to fill you up. Pleasant staff. The main menu gives a good choice. We noticed not many people having a sweet but we thought we would try one. Hand made meringues that came out of a packet so they were soggy with not much fruit, and the handmade tirimasu which was drizzled all over with chocolate which spoilt it. Now we realised why.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I choose this resturant during my short break holidays in barbican during evening and the ocean platter was amazing with rice and white sauce that feel me so decilious.

The italian waiter was very friend with us and he was chatting allot with my girlfriend as she can talk italian. The price was affordable..

Reviewed March 15, 2013

excellent food, very reasonably priced, excellent service, staff were polite and couldn't do enough to make sure our meal was enjoyable, friendly atmosphere... if eating on the Barbican it has got to be the place to go

1  Thank fred s