“Just excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bistro One - CLOSED

Bistro One
Cuisines: Mediterranean, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
London, United Kingdom
“Just excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

A real find! The menu was extensive for vegetarians but pretty simple for meat eaters. The specials menu was the best with local game and fresh fish and shellfish.
The food was superb. Cooked to perfection and served with pride.

1 Thank joeroy03

Plymouth, England
“Nice place, not cheap but worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Works well because of the genial host. Helpful with choosing wine and signposting the menu. We feed well served and well fed, nothing to complain about. Parking near here is a bit of a struggle.

2 Thank WanderingAcademic
PLYMOUTH
“An amazing find.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I had the most amazing lunch today, A wee independent restaurant , the owner serves front of house , the best service I have had in a long time in plymouth. He has an amazing knowledge of wine , coffee and most important FOOD! We cannot wait to go back . It's been a long time since I got this excited about food in Plymouth for this price!From the outside looks are definitely deceiving but there is a cosy atmosphere inside but it's all about the service and food. 1st class try it out. We have eaten in all Plymouths top restaurants and this is up there with the best , I found the owner very passionate about the dining experience even though it was only lunch . A very pleasant surprise and I cannot believe I have waited 8 yrs to try it out. We had our 2 year old with us , he was asleep in his buggy but the owner was more than glad to accommodate us .

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Charleybhoy
Lymington, Hampshire,England
“Really nice evening - excellent wine, very good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Went with a friend, who is a regular, to Bistro One.

The restaurant is a bit scruffy from the outside, bistro and casual once you get in.

The owner, Stephen Barrett is loquacious, brimming with enthusiasm and totally committed to his business.

It was saturday night and the restaurant was packed out. The menu was contemporary and had some really interesting food ideas. They had sold out of one dish I would have ordered - but that's not a bad sign in my book.

We weren't very hungry so only had one course. I had hake, served with some scallops and an oystershell with mixed seafood - very good. My wife had a vegetarian crumble - equally good. We had a bottle of lightly oaked, modern style red Rioja - the choice of wine was totally different from the average wine supplier list . The puddings looked lovely but after a big celebratory lunch with friends that day there was just no way.

Service from (I suspect) a newly recruited waitress was not wholly professional but helpful and friendly. Stephen's enthusiasm and competence more than compensated.

We'd go back.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank david-the-banker
Ashford, United Kingdom
“A lovely little bistro!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We'd eaten here last year and said we would be back! And back we were! It's a fun (slightly quirky) little restaurant with brightly painted walls and equally bright art work hanging on them!
Stephen, the owner, is an excellent front of house; very passionate about his locally sourced food and even more passionate about his wines!
We consumed beautiful oysters, succulent steaks, wonderful grey mullet and perfect pork belly! All washed down with a couple of bin end Luberons!
If you're visiting Plymouth for "student purposes" and you happen to be staying near the Uni, then this is a great place to grab a bite and supply one's offspring with a last decent meal before an extended period of beans on toast!
There aren't too many tables in this place but it seems to "buzz" nicely. I would, however, recommend booking!
Loved it! .. just like last time!

• Visited September 2012