“If you want to make a booking for something special don’t rely on BABA”
Review of The Baba - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Reviewed June 19, 2011

On Wednesday the 15th of June I booked a table at Baba restaurant, in Plymouth, for 8 people for Fathers Day on the 19th June. I enquired if the restaurant was providing their usual Sunday Lunchtime Buffet and was told yes. We arrived in plenty of time for the booking only to find that the restaurant was closed. A sign on the door stating that it was booked for a private function that evening. My group had just paid to park 3 cars allowing 3 hours to enjoy a nice meal for Fathers Day. You can imagine the disappointment, one of the Fathers is 79 years old. Luckily we were able to find another restaurant which could take 8, they made room for us in a very busy restaurant. It is just across the road form Baba and is called The Ganges. We had a wonderful meal and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I have just finished speaking to the manager of Baba only to be told that the evening booking was very lucrative to them. When I said that a phone call would have at least given me the chance to try and find somewhere else all he said was “I can only say sorry”
The moral of the story is if you want to make a booking for something special don’t rely on BABA of Bretonside Plymouth

4  Thank WEST0

Reviewed January 11, 2011

I have visited the Baba in the past for their Sunday lunch buffet and found it to be of a fairly good standard and value. More recently, though, they have been offering a buffet every day and I visited on a weekday to test it out.

I wasn't sure (and still aren't) if it is the same people who own the restaurant since this change to a daily buffet (costing £5.95 I think plus drinks). What I would say is that the quality of the food had gone drastically downhill, with the chicken tikka being reminiscent of the stuff you get in the chillers in supermarkets, and the curries themselves being bland and all tasting similar.

I have not visited in an evening, but if this is now their standard of food, I would not want to in particular. OK for a £5.95 buffet on a lunch, but definitely not worth more than that. The place was, fairly unsurprisingly, empty apart from us.

15  Thank chammp
Reviewed September 21, 2010

In large room under Staples store beside the coach station. Expensive routine Curry. Original owner long since returned to sub-continent. Subsequent managers have made efforts to continue his attentive approach but there has been little enthusiasm. This is now an uninspiring option and pricey with it. For decades this was Plymouth's favourite Indian but not for a long time now.Pity.

10  Thank Jannerbloke