“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grecian Taverna

Grecian Taverna
Ranked #106 of 714 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The food here is amazing. Very good quality but reasonable prices. Staff are friendly and the general atmosphere is great. Will definitely be returning.

• Visited May 2013

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“I could almost imagine being on a Greek Island (had the weather been nice!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Grecian Taverna is all about food...atmosphere and...FOOD! I have always been a fan of Greek cusine since my trips to Zante and St George and have warm, fuzzy feeling about the mezze style of eating.

The staff were very friendly and it was nice having the opportunity to talk to the owner who was a Greek man. I think we were eating at an off-peak time because there was no such overcrowding as described in other reviews! I have however been before on a weekend and it was a very full restaurant- but I think that added to the charm and atmosphere because I enjoy a buzzing, party atmosphere. The first time I ate here it certainly was because there were several parties (one being a wedding party I do believe!) and there was lots of chatting and even dancing on the small dance floor area (which I loved! Very quirky little touch.)

My partner and I shared the mezze (at the very very reasonable price of £35 for 2 people!) This is the cheapest example of a mezze I have found because I was thorough disappointed the last time I went to eat Greek food when I was living in Bath and the cost for the mezze was £40 per person!!! So this is a great price. We were seen to promptly and asked to swap some of the mezze dishes for other options on the menu which they were more than happy to accomodate. We were brought the starter dishes of the mezze in about ten minutes which were all exquisite- there was extra pitta bread for the dips that were complimentary.

The main section of the mezze came out, packed with meat dishes! I love the little-bit-of-everything aspet of Greek eating and the tender meats (particularly Greek lamb which is incredible!) We sat and ate over about 3 hours. The staff saw to our needs constantly and our glasses were never empty. I would say that the amount of food was a little too much for us! So do not eat prior to arrival if you plan on tackling the mezze!

Really good value and auethentic Greek cusine. It was so lovely to have a range of food that was beautifully cooked and presented. Nothing was too much for the staff and I like the small and bustling venue. A must for people who enjoy a good dolmado or stifado! I couldn't praise it enough and will be sure to return again when I am hungry!!!

• Visited February 2013
8 Thank AmberEmTee
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Distinctly average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

A group of 16 of us booked here for a friend's birthday party. Firstly, the seating arrangement was very crowded and poorly laid out. I literally had one guest sit on my lap as she tried to squeeze her way out of the adjacent party's table. Then the second time she went to the toilet, I got an upclose view of her rear. It wasn't pleasant!
The wine was the only item on the menu I enjoyed. It was £15 for a bottle of house rose wine, which I thought was very reasonable. However, the food was, as the title of this review says, distinctly average. I ordered the Stifado from the specialty menu. There was nothing Greek about it. It was essentially a flavourless beef stew. It was served on a plate on it's own, so there was no presentation and just looked like a splat. To be fair, the rice and potatoes sides were plentiful and tasty. But this is meant to be a top-end Greek restaurant and it simply didn't deliver that at all. I came away feeling like my Nan had cooked me a beef stew. Not the authentic Greek experience we were all looking for. The majority of our party also concurred that the food did not come across as authentic Greek cuisine.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Chris F
Exeter, United Kingdom
“The place to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Friends 40th last night. Fab service, Fab food, Fab service and the entertainment was great. Will return. Thanks for an awesome night

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank 809aliex
“Love the Meze”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have been to the Grecian Taverna a number of the times over the years and always recommend it to people if they want decent Greek food in massive portions! Yes the overcrowding at popular times can be a little off putting but the staff have the service down to a fine art. I ate there with a group of friends during the Christmas rush and the service was great, there was no delays with our food. The staff even gave us the option of when we ordered dessert as they were about to start serving a large Christmas party so warned us of a bit of a wait if we delayed.

The Meze is amazing, particularly the starter but be warned the portions are huge so go hungry.

I would strongly recommend this restaurant but be aware this is a basement venue and they do cram the people in so don't go if this will bother you. Great value for money.

• Visited December 2012