“Great location for visiting the university but poor customer service”
Review of Jurys Inn Plymouth

Jurys Inn Plymouth
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We spent 1 night at Jurys Inn this October. It is a very short walk to the university ideal if you have a long journey as we did.The room was very clean and comfortable but a little characterless we had a view of other hotel windows.
The check in was effortless, the check out awful!!. A very long wait with a queue across the whole reception area, at 9 O'Clock on a Saturday they should have more than 1 member of staff available .
We left our case at the hotel after check out a common arrangement most hotels allow you to do this. Unfortunatly another very long wait when I returned to collect it. When I did get served the receptionist carried on a conversation with her colleague then appeared to forget I was standing in front of her and needed to be reminded I was still waiting.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,620)

Reviewed October 26, 2009

We've stayed in the hotel a few times when visiting family- it's just so conveniently located. Rooms are spacious, clean and serve the purpose. The buffet breakfast has always been the bug bearer. On this last occasion we waited 20 minutes for bacon and gave up on the fried eggs after a 30 minute plus wait! When I complanied to reception I was told it had been busy, the reception clerk seemed reluctant to accept my point that I'd paid them to provide breakfast which they failed to do and why did it take so long to replenish the food! Next time (if there is a next time) we'll go for room only and buy a breakfast down the road.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank havert
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I spent one night at this hotel with my teenage daughter. We were visiting the University. The location is brilliant right opposite Drakes Circus and less than five minutes walk to the University. The room was spacious and very clean, as was the bathroom. Good shower and lost of complimentary shampoo and shower gel.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We were back in the Uk for a couple of weeks and needed a central base in Plymouth and chose this after staying a couple of times last year. The rooms are not all that big but are certainly comfortable and are spotlessly clean. The cooling system workd well, there is a kettle, coffee tea etc, hairdryer and a decent shower. The double beds are really cute, only 4 ft 6 inches, which seemed tiny after the huges beds in all hotels in Asia! It's very central, just above the bus station, across the road from that shopping mecca, Drakes Circus (ok it's not that great?!?) and about a 10 minute walk from the train station. You can walk to the Barbican in about 5 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Samiloupepperell
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I arrived to check-in and was told by the desk clerk that I needed to provide a credit card because I had a reservation and I hadn’t paid. I protested that I had paid, and reached into my bag to produce the print-out showing that I had paid. Then the request for payment was dropped but at no point did the clerk or her colleague who had come over to sort out what had happened apologise to me for their error. Charing twice for 4 night’s accommodation may nothing to them but it’s a lot of money to me and this clerk seemed happy to deprive me of my money.

Jury’s Inn website made great play of a price promise, saying that if I paid more for my room that they would refund the difference. I shopped around (through Hotel Price Bot) and I did get a much better price that was available on Jury’s website. Jury’s are selling the rooms to the discounters, and they know the price they sell at. I was glad that I shopped around and it leaves me feeling cynical about the Jury’s price promise.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Joe_33
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I rang the hotel direct and think I got the best price as it was about £30 cheaper than advertised. I paid £80 for B&B for two people. The room smelt of stale cigarrettes and I did make comments regarding this but was told a complaint had already been made and that I should have moved rooms, but it smelt like it had been a smoking room. Parking wasn't a problem as I paid £10 for 24 hours - machine only took coins but the hotel were happy to give change. Television wasn't working properly but I was told it was only that day and they were having an engineer out to fix it. I think a gesture of good will would have been to knock something off the bill or perhaps a complimentary drink but obviously customer service is an optional extra here. I probably wouldn't stay here again as I found the Future Inn to be more value for money - even if it's not as central.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank crocettesontour
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We tried phoning the day before to ask about car parking- the phone remained unanswered- having arrived,I could see why-there was only one receptionist on duty so service was slow.
Our main criticism though is the size of the beds. We had booked a double room , but the bed was only about 4 ft and really far too small for two adults unless they are in the first flush of romance. I weigh 8.5 stone and my husband 11 so we are hardly big people. We had a similar problem at the Jury's Inn in Liverpool so it may be a hotel thing - but I wouldn't stay there again unless I checked what size bed the room would have. I imagine our American cousins would be horrified, and would probably ask where the other bed is!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business