“ok if you get it cheap!”
Review of Jurys Inn Plymouth

Jurys Inn Plymouth
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
UK
“ok if you get it cheap!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

this was my first experience in a Jurys Inn and while i would stay again, unless it was a particularly good deal i would rather stay in a Premier Inn

the location of this Jury's Inn is excellent for the city centre. They have no car park but you can park in the mall car park overnight for about £10. this does mean that you have to drag your luggage across the road but that isnt the end of the world. Tip....going through Primark is not quicker..........

The room was clean and comfortable, the beds were actually very comfortable and we had two of them which was nice! the bathroom isn't the best though. it was very dark, the only light being over the mirror on the sink....so when you shut the door you could hardly see anything. this isnt a problem if you can leave the door open but as the toilet is directly behind it you have to close the door to get to it. make sure you locate the loo roll first...........

if we stayed here again we wouldnt have the breakfast. it may have been there a while but it was very dried out...bit like eating cardboard.

if you are just looking for a place to crash for the night that is comfortable and close to the city center it is ideal. if you are expecting a bit more from a hotel, maybe best to find somewhere else!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is a nice hotel, comfortable and great City centre location. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights from Tuesday 9th April 2013. I was on business in the area working on a a Nightshift. Breakfast was included in the rate that was paid.

Check in/Reception
I entered the hotel from the back entrance, the coach that I was on dropped us here, the only place for vehicles to stop and drop off, as the front of the hotel there is an active Bus Lane and the busy main road runs the front of the hotel. The back door for the hotel operates a buzz and let in security system, this sends a bell in the reception area where they let you in the hotel, this is quite a dated system and could probably do with an upgrade to be able to enter the hotel using your room key card once you have it. This routine of standing and sometimes waiting a few minutes before anyone would let you in occured on a daily basis for me. There are stairs from the "Basement" level to the ground floor (Reception) which does have a key card access point to allow you entry to the staircase (which did not work for me during the stay, my key card would not operate the door?!) however there are lifts that can take you to all levels from here, this is the option I chose.
There was a small wait to be seen at Reception, but once I reached the desk the key card was given to me and that was that, no information regarding breakfast was mentioned to me, or where anything is. No big deal, but a friendly welcome mentioning Breakfast is at xx:xx time etc is a nicer touch. The staff were however, very friendly and approachable.

The Room (724)
I was on the 7th floor in room 724. The room was a nice open fresh looking room with some fantastic views over the city. (see pictures) A large window with safety catches were on the window, but had a view of the other rooms looking over to the back entrance of the hotel.

Electricity was started by using the Key Card, there is a slot by the door in the room that activates your electricity. My top tip for this is to request a second card to leave in, whilst you are out of your room so that if you are using the power to charge your ipad or laptop, they can be left on whilst you are away.
This leads me on to the Plug Sockets that are available in the room itself, or the lack of them. This was a little frustrating at times, the pure lack of available sockets in the room meant that charging my mobile phone, had to be done by either unplugging the Kettle or the Lamp which is opposite the bed, there are no plug sockets on the walls near the bed. There are shavers plugs in the bathroom, but now, more about the rest of the room.

Storage in the room was ample, there is an open wardrobe with neckless hangers and next to this a place to store your suitcase Above this is your kettle with Tea,Coffee Including Decaf, White & Brown Sugar and UHT milk. There was, to my slight disappointment NO BISCUITS!!!! Ha Ha There was next to this, a desk which had on it a flat screen TV (Approx 29" ish) and a lamp. The room was carpeted which was clean.

Internet/WIFI
Ethernet cable available for direct connection to the internet. WIFI was chargeable and in my view, quite expensive. There are lots of areas outside the hotel which offer FREE WIFI. My TOP TIP is if you purchase a drink from the bar or know someone that has bought something, take the reciept to the Reception desk where they will give you an access code for 1 hours use of the internet, this includes WIFI access in your room and all public areas of the hotel. The hour starts once you have put the code into your browser, it opens a landing page for your to insert the access code on connecting. Signal strength was excellent.

The Bed(S)
I was given a twin room, with a double bed and single with lamps above the bed that can be turned and moved, there is no lamp above the single bed, but no issue for me as I enjoyed the double to myself! It was a firm mattress with a white cotton sheet covering the matress itself and white cotton duvet cover, obviously there was a duvet on each of the beds. At the foot of each bed there was a runner to add that splash of colour. Next to the double bed there was switches (both sides) for the lights in the room, and a telephone. There are extra (softer) pillows on top of the Wardrobe as well as an extra blanket which really is not needed.

The Bathroom/WC
The tiled bathroom was nice fresh and clean, the very slow running taps for the sink were a little bit of a task. There was complimentary hand soap and clean white towels, A large mirror above the sink area. The towels were a little on the small side but ample to get dried, again white cotton towels. There is a bath with shower, a nice shower here and again shampoo/Conditioner with soap are sat for your usage. My negative point for the bathroom, is the lighting, there are 3 energy saving lights above the sink, these were a little hideous, they took around 10 minutes to get the lighting to a suitable level to see, I left them on whilst in my room. (yes, I actually timed it!)

Heating/Cooling
There is a remote control, with easy to follow instructions to heat or cool your room, this worked very well.

Hall, Landing and lifts
All carpeted and clean, cleaners around for most of the morning to early afternoon with fresh towels given daily, I left my Do Not Disturb sign on my door due to sleeping during the day, this was respected by maintenance and Housekeeping staff during my stay. The long carpeted hall ways were always clean that led to the lifts, near here, on each level was an Ice Machine with cups so you can take back to your room. Lifts were always clean and heavily used, I witnessed staff at various times cleaning the inside & outside areas continuously. The cleaning staff on my level were fantastic, always had time to say Good Morning and stop and chat, this made a a nice difference to my stay, friendly, genuine staff. The views from the windows in the hallways from my room was beautiful, looking out over the amazing buildings and the city.

Bars/Resturant

Evening
The resturant is not a service I used for the evening Dinner service, but the food looked very nice and fairly reasonable with set menus for 2 or 3 courses available as well as a full individually priced menu.

Breakfast
The Breakfast was a buffet style, with a continental selection, meats, cheeses and fresh fruit. The Cooked breakfast was not to my personal taste, but was perfectly ample, very expensive if it was to be paid for and I feel that breakfast could be gained at a much higher quality and better price at locations very close to the hotel. You could request a boiled egg or various other options by request. The breakfast seemed to lack flavour or taste and was not all that hot, the items continuously ran out and a short wait for replenishment was ongoing. A toast station was offered also. I opted after the first day for just a bacon sandwich and ate outside of the hotel. This is down to personal taste only. The breakfast was perfectly acceptable, the line for the buffet breakfast however was not, there were a lot of people in line and seemed a very long time to get around and to the buffet. A change in layout I feel would help with these issues.

The Bar/Costa coffee
I used the bar only once, I asked what the price for a Stella Cidre and was told £5.50 a bottle, so I opted for a Strongbow which was priced at £3.95 a pint, lots of bars just minutes walk were charging £2.55 a pint. (don't forget to take your reciept to reception get your free hour access to WIFI) Also in the bar area, a Costa Coffee was situated, which was very useful! There is an area for smokers from a side door at the bar, or out the front of the hotel. (great for people watching!)

Summary
I have mentioned a lot of negatives about the hotel, but it is Clean, Fresh, Friendly and pefectly located. Prices for drinks and food are a little high but at a level to be expected at most hotels in the UK. Friendly staff, a good nights (Days) sleep and would definately return if I am ever back in the area. Great rates for this hotel are usually available so for that comfort and budget it fits into what I need whilst working away from home. There was some noise with doors banging but this was mainly during the morning as people were leaving, I sleep like a baby so I had no issues with a days sleep.

Room Tip: A higher level is nice for the view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mrwurzal
Lancashire
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Visited early March to Plymouth with friends, I am so glad each Jurys Inn stands up to their reputation of the same throughout. Great central location with the Jurys Inn quality I expect. No car parking available but only 200 yards from car park multi-storey. Convenient being close to Bretonside bus station and the train station so no public transport a worry. Rooms bright and spotless clean and comfy beds and large tv screen. Breakfast worth booking at time of check-in if not already booked. Would recommend and stay again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
northampton
Reviewed April 9, 2013

being given the wrong room number on arrival, then told by staff someone would be up to deal with the couple in the wrong room and having no one appear did not impress me. Wonder how long we would have been waiting for staff to appear. Having to go back down to the reception and demand the right key to the right room told me that whoever talked to me on the internal phone that they would be up shortly, were in hiding at that point.
On the Sunday morning a fire alarm went off in the hotel. We noticed staff carrying on with customers at the reception and saw only one male member of staff direct my husband to the fire assembly point. There were barely a handful of people actually responding to the fire alarm. It was a false alarm, (we later found out) but surely everyone should respond to a fire alarm as a real fire situation?

the location was good, choice of buffet breakfast and the clean comfortable room are all positives. Also having the coffee shop on site was lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mtvchicka
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

So as a regular visitor to Plymouth to see friends, I am so glad to be able to stay at a hotel with such a central location with the quality I expect! It's close to Bretonside bus station and not even that far from the train station so public transport wise it's really convenient! The rooms are bright and airy and the bathroom has one of the best showers ever, just what you need to relax and unwind before a night out. Definitely worth staying here and the customer service is always great!

• Stayed March 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

In summary, an average hotel.
Long wait at the reception.
No parking, but parking nearby
Near to the harbour.
Room OK but flimsy wall means if there is a hen party attenders next door (heard it is not uncommon in Plymouth), it could be a disaster.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Plymouth
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I really enjoyed my stat at jury's inn, oli only had 2 issues 1 that I had emailed and phoned about needing a travel cot in the room, and there wasn't 1, as we had arrived late my baby was tired and ready for bed, we waited an hour for the cot to be brought up, so that was fine it was there in the end. The only other thing is parking, we were getting picked up most days and it was a total nightmare to get parked anywhere other than that we had a great time and were pleased with the hotel

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com