“Great Holtel”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
London, United Kingdom
“Great Holtel”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Just returned from the Future Inn in Plymouth. The bedrooms are great. Clean spacious, our room comprised of two double beds A/C - and a nice touch was that we could open the window to let fresh air in, all in accordance with Health and Safety, and a fly screen covered the window gap meaning we could leave it open all day and there would be no bugs in the room. The bathroom also was clean, adequate and innovative. The door was dual purpose adding the option to lock just the toilet or the whole bathroom. The towel rail could be heated and the steam free mirror really did work. The only downside was that the toiletries were not replenished on the second day. The whole hotel seemed clean and spacious and just one ice machine located on the first floor. I managed to see the gym – but not use it – but from what I could see it comprised of running, rowing and weight machines. The breakfasts for a three star hotel was sufficient, eggs, sausages (which I mush admit was an acquired taste - my only criticism of their breakfasts), bacon etc, as well as toast, cereal and fresh fruit. There were a few coach parties leaving early in the morning, but both days when I came down at 9am everything was fine with plenty of food and space to sit.

The only downside I can think of is that it is a little out of town so if you are after a central location this is not for you. But it was perfect for us as we had a car, and parking was safe, plentiful and free.

Also after reading the reviews here we requested a room on the top floor (as was recommended), and when we checked in the receptionist, James, duly obliged. Many thanks! As already mentioned here, KFC, McDonalds, M&S food is literally across the road in a retail park.

All in all for a three star hotel it is exactly what you would expect and we will definitely be going back again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
West Yorkshire
Reviewed August 21, 2010

The bedrooms are a good size and the beds are fine (we got one with 2 double beds in, but only needed 1) although we stayed at the right end of the hotel (looking out) and this was close to some kind of generator or the hotel's air con outlet, which was really noisy, made a loud humming noise all night. when we complained the next morning, they said they were fully booked, but would get back to us on my mobile. They did leave me a voicemail to say they could do nothing, but would take £10 off my bill.

We paid extra for breakfast - however this was a serious mistake. When we got there, it was chaos. The breakfast service was seriously short staffed, and were told to find a table anywhere, which I couldn't for about 15 minutes, because every vacant table was either uncleared from previous guests, or had no cutlery or crockery on it. When I asked a staff member to make a table up, it was done soon but I don't think they appreciated the extra work as they were run off their feet, and to be fair that is no fault of theirs - so management needs to sort it. The 'hot' breakfast buffet was severly understocked so when I got there, there was only tomatoes and dried up hash browns on offer. Very disappointing Future Inn I advise everyone to go to local tesco for their breakfast or McD's (if you like that) instead - you'll find they are much better organised. And save your £7.50.

Also the staff who cleaned the bedrooms were very noisy outside my bedroom at 7.30am, then when I went out the room for breakfast nearly fell over the vacuum cleaner which was left outside my door, with the cable still attached to the wall socket.

Management you need to sort these things out - you are lucky I was in a rush to leave as I would have complained about the breakfast and safety hazard and you would have had to take more off the bill! Although I hope you take into account these comments to address for the future...

Oh, one good thing, they had ice dispensers on every floor which was bizarre but I suppose quite handy for some..

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank H0w_it_is
South Wales
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We stayed here to visit relatives nearby and do a bit of sightseeing. I booked the rooms well in advance through the online facility and was very impressed at the £50 per room rate, without having to pay in advance. The room was very spacious, the bed was a large double, not huge as in some hotels, but very comfortable. There was a sofa too and a good deal of space around the furniture. Everything was very clean and I loved the huge towels. The WC is in a tiny room off the main bathroom, so at first we couldn't find it! We were pleased to have two rooms very nearby for ourselves and our daughter, and on a hgh floor, exactly as we'd asked for in advance.
The room advertises free internet access, through the TV with their own keyboard. However I found this very poor quality. I couldn't get my usual news website to appear and a few others just took ages, saying 'loading', so I gave up. There is a cable there to use your own laptop etc which is chargeable.
We were eating with relatives the first evening, so our first experience of the restaurant was breakfast on the Sunday. I hadn't asked at reception about breakfast times, and neither had the reception told us when we checked in, but the hotel information booklet said the restaurant was open all day, so I didn't think to ring down. We decided to have the breakfast even though it was £12 each, as it was a holiday Sunday for us. We got down there at about 9:40am and there were plenty of tables free. There was a bowl of chopped fresh fruit, juices, some pastries and cooked. Not the big range you get in some hotel chains, but enough. However the egg looked rather too shaped, hard and not freshly cooked. The bacon and mushrooms were good, but £12 was a lot. Our main concern was that at 10am the waiter came around saying the buffet was closing - there had been no warning when we came in only 20 minutes earlier. There was a little bit of a dash for the buffet, while people topped up, as if others were a bit surprised too. I feel that was quite early to stop breakfast on a Sunday. We had no chance of more coffee etc.
The evening meals looked very expensive so we drove up the road to the Jack Rabbit pub restaurant, which was very pleasant, there's a McD's opposite the hotel, a KFC a bit further up and a Toby Carvery a few minutes drive up to the right on the main road.
Because of the price we had breakfast in McDonalds on the 2nd morning, just before leaving.
The hotel is fairly easy to find once you head up the Tavistock road, this road is very busy, but as the windows don't open, the noise wasn't a problem. The airconditioning is easy to control, but as with many hotels, there is a definite fan noise.
A good value stay however.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Norfolk
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Lovely big clean rooms, good breakfast and staff very friendly

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I stay in this hotel regularly for business and cannot fault the staff, the room & bathroom and the cleanliness. However, Future Inn, if you are reading this PLEASE do something about the dreadful buffet breakfast! I've lately not been taking breakfast and popping over the road to the McDonalds, and I really don't like McDonalds so that says something about your breakfast. If you are reading this thinking of staying at this hotel, don't let it put you off, but think twice about taking breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
edinburgh
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The rooms are very large and spacious, clean and with all the amenities. The "gym" is just a small room with some excercise machines, just enough to do a small workout. Plenty of parking, staff nice and friendly, nice bar and restaurant. They have a laundry room available to guests. Overall a nice stay, would recommend to friends.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2010

The hotel is just outside the centre but suited our needs well. We booked three rooms and they were all clean, comfortable and spacious, with two double beds in each. The bathroom had proper sized bath sheets rather than the inadequate bath towels which some hotels favour. We were leaving quite early so only one of our party chose to have breakfast, but he said there was a good selection and it was well cooked. We hadn't booked an evening meal, but were happily able to get into the restaurant and all enjoyed our meals. Mine was an excellent steak cooked as I had requested, with chips and salad - all for £10. Excellent value all round.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family