“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
uk
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Read reviews on The Future Inn and they were consistently good, and I can see why.
What I wanted for this trip.
1. Cleanliness and room comfort.
2. Onsite parking.
3. Good location.
4. Quiet.
This hotel was spotlessly clean in both the room and all the public areas. It is new so I very much hope that they keep this up. My room had 2 queen beds which were beautiful to sleep in and the air con ensured a very good nights sleep. Despite the fact that my room overlooked a main road I could hear no traffic noise whatsoever. For me what I loved was the excellent amount of parking that this hotel has. No fighting for a space when returning late or even worse having to park in a public car park and walk back to the hotel like some of the Plymouth hotels offer. An awful thought. The Future Inn is perfectly placed for ease of access to the city centre or a short distance away is the Park and Ride at Home Park if you don't want to negotiate the city traffic. It is also convenient for Dartmoor as well, again only a short drive away.
After reading the Fishbone Restaurant reviews, the hotel restaurant, I was sceptical about using it, but on my last evening I was too tired to dine elsewhere, and to be honest was fairly pleasantly surprised. The service was efficient and friendly and the food tasty. It was a pretty standard menu but my lamb shank was fine. Just check what your meal comes with though because they did have a full rack of ribs on the menu but unlike anywhere else I've ever been to this did not appear to come with fries. These had to be ordered as an additional item. That's just a small picky point though.
I used the internet connection in the lobby on my laptop, and it was fast enough to be able to upload photos and publish them online which was all that I needed.
This hotel is suitable for business or leisure travellers. A great stay.

"

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank carolynu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Hampshire
Reviewed August 18, 2011

The hotel in it's self far exceeds its 3 star rating; we have stayed in many 4 star hotels which have not matched up to the Future Inn. We booked a suite for 2 nights and were not disappointed with the size or decor of the suite. There was a very large kingsize bed in the main bedroom with a sofa bed in the living area. There was a fridge which was ideal for storing a few bits and bobs in to keep the kids happy when they got peckish. The bathroom and toilet were very clean as was the entire suite. The staff on the main reception were extremely helpful and went out of their way to help us.
We had a particularly bad experience in Fishbones restaurant which spoilt our stay. The duty manager of the restaurant clearly rates the regular 'coach trips' (which use the restaurant for meals) as a higher priority than hotel guests and other customer. We had a very poor service, were left waiting for an excessive length of time before we were seated, our order was taken and for the food to finally arrive. There wasn't enough staff on to deal with both the coach trip and the other guests/customers also requiring a service. It wouldn't have been such an arduous wait if there hadn't been such an equally long wait at the bar. It was quicker to leave the table and go to the bar ourselves to collect our drinks as the staff just couldn't cope. What added insult to injury were the inconsistencies with the service; people were seated half an hour after ourselves and were served before us! The explanation to this was that those people had reserved tables. This didn't make sense as surely once seated and order placed the food would be cooked in that order? The final straw for us was being accused by the restaurant manager of lying to other guests/customers to make him look bad; as I came back from the bar another guest made a comment about how long they had been waiting to be served, I merely responded that it was a disgrace and I had never know anything like it. After almost 2 hours from when we initially requested a table, having had several uncomfortable conversations with the restaurant manager we refused our food when it arrived and left. The hotel duty manageress was very helpful and understanding; she assisted in ordering an Indian Takeaway going as far as providing plates, cutlery and serviettes.
We had breakfast in the restaurant on both mornings and had no complaints about the food at all.

Cardiff, Wales
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Plenty of other reviews about here, and generally good - we too were satisfied with our stay.

Hotel is fairly easy to find, although out of town. Not the most picturesque of areas, so don't expect to be enjoying an evening stroll unless you want to take awander along the main road, or around the industrial area.

However...as a place to stop off enroute to the ferry or elsewhere it was fine.

With Breakfast included, the discounted rate was good value.

The hotel was clean, staff pleasant, and the bed excellent ensuring a good nights sleep.

I'd definitely use the hotel again

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My elderly Aunt was 90 on our visit late booking but read the reviews and they seemed positive. The good things Parking, size of rooms and friendly staff. However the bad things are sheets and duvet covers not ironed all creased the question asked have they forgotten to change the bedding? The restraunt did not quite come upto speck the menu is a bit limited but after ordering our meal this was fine and meal arrived at the end of the meal, a delay in clearing plates, asked a waitress for another round of drinks said she would get her notebook she failed to return after 30 mins we asked another member of staff the drinks arrived with in minutes. (is there a staff training problem)?
Good nights sleep.

Home
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We have just come home from a 6 night stay at the Future Inn Plymouth. This is our second stay at this hotel & think it's great! We stayed in a standard room 2 Canadian double beds. The room is spacious has good facilities,is clean,has tea & coffee etc. The hotel itself is a little way out of the centre but for us that's great as it's quieter, easy to get on the main roads such as the a38, and having 3young children need. A hotel that's accessible. The staff are great especially Mandy who does the breakfast service. The breakfast has good choice and plenty if it! The only bad thing at breakfast was the tea bags! They were awful! So I took my own lol! My only bit of advice is to check if the hotel has a function on when your staying as we were on 2nd floor & could still hear the music till after midnight! Not good if you were on lower floors with young children to get to sleep! Couple of things the website doesnt mention is the hotel has a small fitness room and a laundry room for guests, both brilliant extras that deserve a mention.Overall though we would definately recommend this hotel and will be going back! Well done future inns you need to get more hotels now!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
PlymouthManager, Front Office Manager at Future Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Thank you for your positive comments and feedback regarding your recent stay here at Future Inn Plymouth. I will pass on your positive comments to all the members of staff and especially Mandy in our next department meeting.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Future Inn Plymouth in the near future.
Germany
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Plymouth does not have too many good and easy hotels and this one is probably the best. Whilst the location is not central, it is easy to access by car, quiet and offers rooms with a high standard and a good nights sleep. Whilst I was there, the hotel was quite full and still very pleasant.

Top tip - check to see if the internet in the room (cable only) is free - it is probably part of the package. Wireless is free in the lobby, but not very fast, so it is worth connecting in the room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Long Stratton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2011

All good experience - slight downside is that the hotel is out of town on a business/industrial park which may explain their 3 days for 2 and £15 meal/movie deals. They were very busy whilst I was there with an Italian coach party but coped well with the large numbers. I'd rate this on a par with Premier Inn's larger hotels.

Room Tip: look for the deals!