“A great experience”
Review of Le Vignoble

Le Vignoble
Ranked #1 of 188 Nightlife in Plymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Wine Lounge, Wine Retailer, Wine Education.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We loved this place! It was really nice to be able to taste the wines before committing to buy a whole glass. I thought the tastings were reasonably priced and a nice new concept! It reminded me of similar bars in France. I would definitely recommend to anyone for drinks (and the nibbles are also yummy) and if you're on a trip it might be nice to treat yourselves to a bottle to take home as a souvenir!

6  Thank charliegodden
Yannick L, Owner at Le Vignoble, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thanks for such a lovely review, we really appreciate the support.

There are newer reviews for Le Vignoble

Reviewed August 9, 2012

It needs bustle, somewhere easy to do some drinking and nothing too formal. The White decor, the overcomplicated and not very practical arrangements of the bottles (try reading the price labels) and the little chairs (more suited to a tea shop or dentist's waiting room) are not conducive to tasting or drinking. Your conversation can be heard across the shop, which would not happen or matter if it were lively or convivial but in this cold heavily designed interior it is inhibiting and difficult. I like tasting bars which while new to Plymouth are a well established formula. This one is a bit over-priced maybe. The food is silly. There should be more of it even if it may never substitute for a meal. A brief taste of wines you fancy before you buy more to drink there and then or takeaway, but why is the delivery so surgical and processed? I liked the broad well selected range of wines. I admire Yannick Loue's experience and knowledge but Le Vignoble is no fancy soulless business expense restaurant bar as at St Mellion, this is mainstream Plymouth and it needs to be a more easy going environment. No doubt it will change and soon. Then I will give it the a max score. Meanwhile, the website still needs lots of work.

16  Thank PlongeurV
Yannick L, Owner at Le Vignoble, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Thanks for your review. Sorry you don't like the atmosphere or the food selection, but we do have a wider range of tapas available now so perhaps there's something for you to enjoy. Thank you for your compliment on our wine selection, as this is the main part of our business being a wine merchant and lounge then we are very proud of it.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

A smartish place. Not posh but new for Plymouth. Slightly difficult for us because at RWY it is well out of town for easy use. Parking down there is poor and not a good idea anyway if you are intent on drinking. Le Vignoble is a nice idea and the staff seem very keen to please. We have been to places a bit like this in France. I will not mark it down but my problems were that it was not very laid back, a bit like a gallery opening, no jeans on our night, and the booze prices were a good third more than we would usually pay, although I accept that there is a very good selection of good wines here. We may come back but sadly we will have to add Le Vignoble to our very short list of venues which are generally unaffordable on our budget. We like to be able to kick back and enjoy ourselves without worrying too much about appearances. The pix on the heading show the kitchen/furniture showroom ambience. We reckon it will loosen up and become more useable over time. If the prices become more realistic then we may then become regulars.

12  Thank ChasC_12

Thank you for your review, we introduced the £8.40 range to our wine list and we serve tasters for 60p and glasses for £3.50 so I do hope you come back to visit and see what else has changed.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours sat in the glorious sunshine on the outside patio of this rather unique and very welcoming champagne/ wine restuarant. The lovely yanik ( owner ) was a true gentleman and made us feel thoroughly spoilt during our visit... Thank you!
Unlike the previous reviewer I found the furniture and equipment to be first class and no expense has been spared at this lovely venue. I guess you'll always get some people who's sole purpose in life is to find fault with other people/ or their possessions.
This venue is perfect as a afternoon ' spoil yourself' location or a pre dinner stop off.
Doesn't matter whether you're young or more senior... ( or a brash blond 30 something) ....go with the intention of enjoying something new and refreshing in Plymouth and you'll love it!
Well done yanik and the team ... You have something very special here... May you have many successful years ahead of you !

6  Thank Sara S

Thank you so much Sara for such a great review. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have encountered this before at Lavinia in Paris and also at a wine bar in Madrid. A friend says there is a similar place in Spittalfields but I have not been.
You buy a smart card with cash and then use it or top it up as necessary whenever you want to buy smaller or larger amounts of wine at significantly over the bottle price but then you can buy a bottle at a realistic retail price and take it away or drink it on site without corkage or a markup provided you have it with food which carries the profit for the merchant. Bit different at Le Vignoble in Royal William Yard where they also have high ish prices on the automatic taster but £7 corkage if you decide to buy a full bottle and drink in. There is no significant food here, just small nicely prepared and tasty but limited choice tapas. I think I prefer the French approach and also wish that Le Vignoble had a more substantial offering of food. Good cheese perhaps. I remember twenty or so years ago frequently using the Hole in the Wall, a delightful wine bar/cellar (long gone) just down from the Castle in Exeter which did tasting, but also sold a broad range of high quality predominantly red wines by the well priced glass or bottle with a great selection of complementary cheese and perfectly fresh crusty bread. Le Vignoble is shiny white and very modern, sitting at the black wipe able bucket seats, in a comparatively clinical setting, is not what I would guess is the best way to relax and enter into the spirit of tasting and beyond. The bar stools at the back suggest that the owner may have more convivial and robust snacking as a future option. I recommend it. Meanwhile we enjoyed our visit here. Our reservations and preferences do not amount to much and we welcome the new business to the city. We are engaged with the method.

It is a pity that the website is not yet fully up and running to give you a better idea of the protocol and prices. RWY is not a bad location but remember the dreadful parking issues. Also realise that this is a wine exercise and does not amount to a snack meal out. You will need to have eaten first or go on afterwards.

13  Thank JoeS424

Thanks for your review Joe, I'm glad you like the concept. Hope you've been back to try the new tapas selection that we offer now.