“Superb”

Goto Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 779 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: GOTO is new Japanese restaurant located in 13 southside street,PL1 2LA. We offer our customers not only traditional sushi, but also new modern style sushi together with other hot Japanese dishes as well. Our core cuisine is based on Japanese authentic recipes, so GOTO's modern taste is never fragile, always satisfies your curiosity as well as your expectations for good quality and value.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The food and service were outstanding, the staff are really friendly and helpful. It was a relatives birthday and they gave him a complimentary brandy between courses as well as free saki for the whole table at the end of the meal. The chef even came over at the end to check we'd enjoyed everything and gave us more complimentary saki. The food is excellent and the presentation is really special, the sushi looked like art work, beautifully prepared and super tasty. If you like Japanese food then this place is a must (I particularly recommend the Grilled Aubergine Nagiri - unbelievably good).

4  Thank ferperu2010

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Possibly the best restaurant in Plymouth. It was well priced and the quality of the food was excellent, I we for the tempura prawns, GOTO sushi platter and teriyaki chicken. The sushi was fresh and well presented while the tempura prawns were the best we have had...and we are seasoned tempura prawn testers!

6  Thank Alastair W
Reviewed September 14, 2013

A lunch time treat for daughter who is disappearing off to Uni soon. Set menu ordered a great selection of sushi and tempura for starters with two mains. Teriyaki salmon was outstanding and the miso soup was well balanced. A start up restaurant that on the basis of my initial experience deserves to succeed.

7  Thank SharkyCornwall
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went here on impulse without a huge knowledge of Japanese food, but with interest to try something new. In the end we went for the set meals, two of each one between the four of us. The variety that these set meals provided was excellent with some real high points on the tuna sushi and tempura prawns. Sadly the main courses were a little inconsistent, with the eel being the low point due to its over gelatinous texture and a poor cut of beef in my opinion by Japanese standards. The Japanese wine was surprisingly nice, although at £25 a bottle, you would expect s!. Some sake and a few rounds of Asahi later, we were well fed and in return relieved of £200 between four of us.

Would I go again, yes I think so as it's a nice experience and something different, but I'm not rushing to go back there.

5  Thank British_Tourist_21
Reviewed August 25, 2013

It is a decade since I was in Japan and when I went there I couldn't afford to eat in top class restaurants. I have been to one or two places in London but nothing stood out in my memory. Quite the reverse with Goto. Although on our wednesday night it was only about half full we were given excellent help and advice. Just as well because the menu was on such delicate paper and in such fine print that I struggled. The advice given by both the waitress and then the chef himself turned to be spot on. We had a sublime meal. It cost us maybe a third more than we would normally reckon on paying in Plymouth but the quality the new tastes and the overall experience were easily worth it. If you turn up here and find just a few other people in, do not in any circumstances be put off. This is a an hour or so not to be missed.

7  Thank Terry C