“Relaxed, clean Japanese dining”

Goto Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #69 of 727 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: GOTO is new Japanese restaurant located in 13 southside street,PL1 2LA. We offer our customers not only traditional sushi, but also new modern style sushi together with other hot Japanese dishes as well. Our core cuisine is based on Japanese authentic recipes, so GOTO's modern taste is never fragile, always satisfies your curiosity as well as your expectations for good quality and value.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Relaxed, clean Japanese dining”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Small but smart and very welcoming Barbican venue. Exciting but some may say limited Japanese menu. Lunchtime offered great deals and more choice, would thoroughly recommend for a special lunch. We enjoyed home made miso, Korean kimchi soup with udon and Katsu chicken (unusual but very tasty combination) amongst other delicious treats. Very attentive waiting staff who topped up our tea constantly without asking. It's a shame it's so quiet though - perhaps they need some publicity that plays on the fact they are original and home made compared to say a chain like yo sushi, yet cheaper and more relaxed and cafe-like than yukisan.

• Visited April 2013
7 Thank YumyumChaser

Newton Ferrers
“Best sushi in Plymouth”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A small and perfectly formed Sushi menu in a reaxed canteen style setting. And it really is mainly a sushi menu - not sure other reviewers have fully grasped that. Spicy tuna roll was excellent, as were all the mackerel options. Will keep going back to work my way through the menu.

• Visited March 2013
9 Thank Tessa G
Glasgow, UK
“Disappointing - we left without dining”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked GOTO based on the positive reviews and the high rank on tripadvisor. We knew things were not right the instant we walked in at 6.30pm on Saturday night - the place was empty, and we were the only customers. However, we decided to give the restaurant the benefit of our doubt and duly sat down to peruse the menu. Meanwhile my partner went to the washroom. Alone at the table, the waitress came up to me and asked me for my drink order. This is a huge faux pas - no restaurant should ever ask for the guest's order without everybody at the table. So I asked her to come back later. When my partner returned, and even before she was properly seated, the waitress was back, questing for our drinks order, again! My friend did not even had a chance to read the food menu, never mind the drinks menu. This inconsiderate behaviour was beginning to annoy me and I explained to the waitress that we don't want to order any drinks until we have decided what we want to eat. We want to match our drinks to our food, not the other way round.

As I began to study the menu, I noticed that it was predominantly sushi and sashimi - ie. cold food. It was a freezing cold night, and it was the last thing we wanted. The hot starters were limited and there were only 3 hot main choices - teriyaki chicken, salmon and beef. These were pretty mundane for any Japanese restuarant. So, I asked the head-waitress about the Bento box we saw at the door - how is it that I could not find it in their menu that night? She explained that the Bento box was only served at lunchtime, On the way out, we checked the displayed menu, and there was no mention that the Bento box was only served at lunchtime. I had entered GOTO with my mind set on a Bento box.

BTW, the menu was incredibly hard to read - not only was the place in semi-darkness, each page on the menu was printed on translucent paper.

One other thing about the washroom - it would not have passed health and safetly checks. The toilet did not flush, it had no paper, and there was no soap/detergent to wash your hands.

After a brief discussion, as much as we wanted to offend the restaurant, my partner and I profusely apologised and left without dining.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank NNei
plymouth
“Excellent!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We thought we would try this restaurant based on other reviews. We thought it was an amazing meal with friendly staff in a lovely restaurant. We love Japanese food and the menu choice and helpful recommendations meant that our meal was one of the best Japanese meals we have ever had. Cannot fault the food, restaurant or staff - all brilliant. A great addition to Plymouth's restaurant scene.

• Visited February 2013
9 Thank Tinakins09
Buckingham
“Quiet but exceptional.”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Never tasted such an ingenious mixture of delightful and tantalising Japanese food. Only two other tables I'm use on our midweek evening visit but it didn't matter because it was all so friendly and the food so entrancing. Think our kids were a bit bewildered by the exquisite presentation but that didn't matter once they got stuck in. Can't understand why this place doesn't seem to advertise at all. Too good to miss.

• Visited February 2013