All reviews leisure facilities steam room hen party swimming pool course evening meal spa treatments wedding guests bar menu hotel guests room was large one night stay family room full english lovely room excellent value for money car park churchill
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed a couple of nights midweek. The hotel was easy to find. And has a lovely quiet location with beautiful views. I do play golf but didn’t play here unfortunately. The golf course looked in good order and will maintained and the pro shop seemed well equipped.
Our check in was quick and efficient, and the staff friendly. The room we stayed in overlooked the putting practice area and then down over the course. The room was clean and tidy and equipped with tv and tea/coffee facilities. The bathroom was clean and had a good shower. We ate in the restaurant on the first evening. The food and service was good... however I was a little confused as food (that was not on the menu that we had ordered from) was being brought out for other diners. It all looked good but would have nice to had had a bigger choice. I would stay here again for the golf facilities. Just something worth considering, if you are a light sleeper the greens men start mowing around 7.30am ish and they start out of the front of the hotel so can be a little noisy. Also an observation. Where as the golf course and hotel interior look great some of the outside area could do with a little tlc. We ate breakfast in the conservatory and the outside space around looked a little sorry for itself. That said it has the potential to be really lovely. Thanks to all for an enjoyable stay.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Becca B, Manager at Elfordleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear drewpdav,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of your recent stay with us. I'm so pleased that you were easily able to locate us. Our location is gorgeous isn't it? We're so lucky to have Dartmoor National Park on our doorstep. The golf course is well maintained by our trustee team of greenkeepers, they've been working incredibly hard battling the weather to ensure that the course is looking its best. It's nice to read that they're hard work is worth it.

Some of our rooms have got gorgeous views across the course, I think its the perfect way to start your morning. I apologise for the confusion with the menu. I'm unsure as to which night you stayed so find out exactly what happened. If you could please contact me on beccabattersby@elfordleigh.co.uk and I shall be able to investigate further. Thank you for your feedback regarding the menu, I shall feed this back to our chefs. They do take this all on board when designing the new menu.

I apologise for the greenkeepers waking you so early, I shall speak with them and remind them that we do have guests sleeping above. Thank you for your feedback regarding the outside area, I believe its next on the refurbishment list having just finished the leisure facilities a few days ago!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed her on business using 2 of their function rooms.
Room was the best part of the stay. Afternoon team was average and service from the gentleman who served us was terrible. Most of their function equipment was broken and held together with tape! I wouldn't rush to stay here again for business or pleasure. Needs some investment outside of the golfing facilities.

Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear phoenix_com,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us. I'm sadden to read that you didn't enjoy your afternoon tea with us, we pride ourselves on the service that we give to our guests and to know that we've let you down is deeply disappointing. I will be working closely with our restaurant manager to ensure that all of the team are re-educated on our high standards and how important it is that these are upheld at all times. With regards to the function equipment, I apologise that you felt they are held together with tape. I can assure you that we have recent purchased brand new equipment i.e. screens and flipcharts however upon opening the boxes to set them up we realised they were faulty. These are being sent back to the supplier as this is unacceptable. The hotel has recently undergone a complete refurbishment, from the conference rooms to the bedrooms, and we are just finishing the leisure facilities in the coming days. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your room with us.

Reviewed June 2, 2019 via mobile

Had a meal with our friends on Saturday night that the excellent Hasko helped arrange for us. The bar staff were all friendly and helpful and everyone enjoyed their meal. Would definitely recommend this venue and the burgers. Thanks again

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Becca B, Manager at Elfordleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear AJCooper84,

What a wonderful review, thank you so much for taking the time to write it. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us. Thank you for your kind words regarding the team, I shall feed this back to them. I'm glad that everyone enjoyed their meal - the burgers really are delicious aren't they?

I look forward to welcoming you back soon, maybe even for a relaxing night away.

Reviewed June 2, 2019 via mobile

So my lovely wife organized a surprise stay at Elfordleigh for our belated 21st anniversary. She had booked weeks in advance but when we checked in she was told we have two bridal parties. Mm so what has that got to do with us, ah breakfast will be buffet style at 8am. Up to room. Opened cupboard and no coat hangers, iron or ironing board. The room was small and when I say small you had to leave the room to change your mind. Fast forward to breakfast, we arrived at 0805 and the cooked food wasn’t out, toasters cold and crisis no coffee or tea. 0810 coffee arrives as does the cooked food...but the food was colder than a penguins feet.8 couples were in the breakfast area but we had 8 rashers of bacon!. Sad to say not value for money (£132) and will not be on my return list unless I know no weddings and warm
Food. Gutted for the place as it is in nice surroundings and looks amazing in the sun.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear 157anthonyj,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I apologise that you felt the room was small. All of our bedrooms are different sizes and we have a range of categories of rooms. I sincerely apologise for the issues at breakfast, this is unacceptable. I shall be working closely with our food and beverage manager to ensure that this situation doesn't arise again. If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to contact me directly on beccabattersby@elfordleigh.co.uk.

Reviewed May 26, 2019

The hotel setting was very nice, the hotels golf course looks absolutely stunning.
Hotel needs some signage from the car park for the reception in my opinion.
There wasn't anyone on the reception when I got there and couldn't find anyway of calling for someone so went looking around the meeting rooms for someone.
Reception for Internet was quite limited but worked just fine after the receptionist reset the router.
Dinner menu was a little uninspired and could really do with some development to really differentiate between bar and A'la Carte menu.
Decided to go elsewhere for dinner as it just didn't excite me which is a real shame as the hotel is quite isolated and should capture the majority of this additional trade. Hotel is under quite extensive refurbishment which is good to see as I think this hotel has huge potential. The room was decorated very nicely and to quite a high standard, bathroom was also finished to a good standard, lovely powerful shower too which is always appreciated on my part.
Gym facilities were quite good but could perhaps do with a little modernisation. Changing rooms were a little strange location from old but expect this will be sorted within a few weeks as the new changing rooms were near completion right next to the pool. Pool was quite nice, suana and steam room could also do with a refurb. Wooden benches in Sauna are quite worn and the tiled seats in the steam room need to be a nice curved edge instead of a sharp 90 degree angle not very comfy to sit on.
Staff were all extremely friendly, bed was very comfortable and breakfast was quite nice. Overall would rate a 7 out of 10. I would stay again but could do with a few improvements in places.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear 1RestaurantCritic101,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay with us. I apologise that you felt there needs to be more signage for the hotel from the car park. Thank you for your feedback, I shall discuss with my directors how we can improve this for future guests. I'm pleased to read that we were able to fix the internet issues as soon as we were informed about them.

I apologise that you felt the menu was uninspired, I shall take this feedback to our chefs who do take this onboard when designing the new menus. We are undergoing refurbishment, we are almost finished now which is incredibly exciting. You'll have to return and see us when we're finished. The gym facilities are in the final phase of the refurbishment so will be changing shortly. The changing rooms are now finished and are closer to the leisure facilities as planned. Thank you for your kind words regarding the team, I shall feed this back to them.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.