“Great location- comfy night sleep”

Travelodge Plymouth
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Arrived couple hours before check in and asked if we could go in early. They said we could if we paid £10 and I thought it was not bad but wished we found out that earlier as we had a wedding to attend (in an hour)!

After hurrying, getting ready, I'm glad to say we made the wedding...just! We realised the venue was just a few minutes walk away! This hotel is in the middle of everything which is brilliant! Short walks to restaurants, shops or bars etc. After the night ended, we walked back to the hotel and had no problems getting back to our rooms. We did have to switch lifts once when it wouldn't go anywhere but nothing major.

My sister did think it was noisy but when she shut the windows, it was much quieter. It did make it quite hot to sleep but nonetheless, we all had a comfy night sleep and checked out all fine the next morning. Lovely town view from my room's window! Definitely would use this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed here for one night. We chose it mainly for the location, as we were seeing a show at the Theatre Royal just a few minutes walk away.

There are a couple of options for parking very close by, we chose the Theatre car park, more expensive, but more secure.

Reception area not very welcoming, put me in mind of a booking in desk at the police station.

Our room was on one of the lower floors, and a tad on the small side, but had a comfy large bed.
The bathroom was tiny, if you are a bit on the large side you would struggle in here. There was also a very loud gurgling noise coming from our bathroom every time the people in the room above flushed the loo. Loud enough to wake you up. You can hear noise from the rooms either side as people come and go. We weren't disturbed by outside noise but our room didn't face onto the main street and it was a Tue night.
Found the room quite hot in the night (no air con)

Not breakfast option, just some snack in a bag the costs about £5 (gave that one a miss) but there are lots of restaurants/ bars nearby.

Would we stay here again? probably not.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Galaxygal
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed here for a couple of weeks recently while working in Plymouth. On arrival we found that this hotel has no parking, if i had made the booking i would have known this, but as my work booked the accommodation we did not know this until arrival. There is a car park opposite which charges £6 for 24 hours though. As we then checked in we also realised that the only breakfast they did was a continental pack up box which was not what we really wanted. Onto the rooms, they were clean nicely furnished, with nice big comfortable bed and full bathroom, a tv and a desk to work at. I liked the size of the room and everything you wanted was in there. The hotel offered 30 mins of free wifi a day if i remember correctly, but it was through a sign up, which i didn't bother with.
Now the issue i had with this place was the rooms were incredibly hot! The rooms had no air con to correct this. Your only option was to open your window, which only opened about 4 inches due to the high floors of the rooms and having safety catches on. Now i have no problem with the safety issues of the windows, but if like me you are a light sleeper the hotel is in the city center so it is quite noisy. On one occasion I had some drunk singing about his undying love for Arsenal football club at 2am in the morning below my room. So as it was i had to try and sleep through a very hot night or a very noisy one.
All in all i would say that the rooms are very comfortable and clean, but found they were to warm and a little noisy. I would stay there again if no other options were available, but i would look elsewhere first.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The hotel is located within walking distance from pubs and restaurants and, if interested, Bingo !!!.
The hotel has no parking but there are 2 car parks to choose from, one at £6 for an overnight stay, this is like parking on a bombsite, the other is £8 for over night stays, both are only 2 mins walk.
Would be good to be offered subsidised or free parking.
I didn't see anyone on reception, using the auto check-in instead, even when going out and returning there was no one on reception.
The room was clean, the bed was lovely and comfy but, like the last Travelodge I used, there was a kick in the toilet door !! - is it a design thing ??
Overall, I would use this hotel again so long as the prices do not increase...

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here for a passing out parade at Hms Raliegh, the rooms were nicely decorated and exceptionally clean and met our needs for a two night stay. The hotel is in the centre of Plymouth and within easy reach of all the bars and restaurants, I had read on here that the hotel was noisy, our room looked out onto the main road and we were not aware of any excessive noise from the clubs and bars. The staff on reception were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. The location was idea for our needs as we were only about 5-10 minutes drive from the Torpoint ferry which takes you over the river to Hms Raliegh. I would most definitely stay here again if visiting the area, my only negative comment is that they don't do a cooked breakfast only a breakfast box, which I thought were quite expensive for what they were, but there is a weatherspoons about 2 minutes walk away where we had a nice breakfast.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and found this quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jollyjingles
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Travelodge is the place to stay in Plymouth we had 4 wonderful nights there the staff were friendly and very helpful lovely clean and welcoming, the rooms were comfortable clean and roomy. central to everything

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
2  Thank Rosemarie D
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was visiting a friend in Plymouth as part of a short break in the south west, so I booked the Travelodge well in advance. On arrival I was greeted by a friendly member of staff on reception and was allocated a room on the 2nd floor. Before the lift worked you had to put your room key in a slot inside the lift, remove it and then press the required floor button. This seemed a bit strange to me but it only needed to be done the once.
My room was very clean, spacious with a huge bed. There were ample tea and coffee making facilities, a TV with a limited selection of channels and a decent sized bathroom. The bed itself was very comfortable although the room was a bit on the warm side. You were in a catch 22 situation, keep the window closed and be too warm or open it and have traffic noise. In the end I left it slightly open and was able to sleep reasonably well.
For some reason not all the available channels worked on the TV but as I was only there for 1 night it wasn't a problem.
Wifi was available throughout the hotel, free for the 1st 30 mins but various charges after that. I paid £3 for 24 hours use which I thought was good value and the quality of the wifi was excellent.
The breakfast offering was not something I particularly fancied however this is down to personal preference. Having spent a lot of time in Plymouth until comparatively recently I was aware of a local bakery on nearby Royal Parade who offer delicious breakfast rolls, pasties etc.
One bonus was being able to check out as late as 12 noon although I did leave earlier than this. The only drawback unlike some hotels they did not have a left luggage facility. This is something that could maybe be considered in the future even if a small charge was made for providing the service.
Generally I was happy with the hotel but I would be reluctant to stay there on a Friday and Saturday night due to the nose from nearby bars etc. (Not the hotel's fault)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo