Jewells Guest House
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsb blong dressesgeorgian housenice large roomwalking distanceensuite shower roomselection of cerealsbusiness or pleasurestayed here for one nighttop floorcity centreexcellent locationfirst floorenglish breakfastlovely breakfastoriginal featurestwo nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 19, 2006

I travel on business and stay away 3/4 times per month, usually I stay in Travel Inns, which are clean and normally OK. I booked the Jewell as all Travel Inns in Plymouth were booked and I knew roughly were the hotel was.

I'm very glad I found this hotel. It's clean, the room (7) was big enough and well furnished. But better than this was the welcome from the proprietor Keith and his Dog! Even better was the pots containing loads of teabags, coffee, sugar and milk. Most hotels & B&B's think you only need 2 cups of tea in 24 hours!

Breakfast was excellent and overall this is hotel is very good value for money. You get the impression that the owners have stayed in really bad hotels before and have done ther best not to make the same mistakes. Overall Excellent!

Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank Bassetman
Reviewed June 10, 2006

I booked the Jewell on the advice of Trip Advisor. Purely on the quality of the room and breakfast, I would rate it higher, but because the hotel is so tiny, the atmosphere played a large role in my experience and it felt uncomfortably chilly from the very start.

First, the positives. This is NOT a five star hotel, but I found the accomodations to be above-average for what this hotel purports to be. The room that I had, a double on the top floor, was among the most spacious I have had while travelling overseas outside of Luxe resorts. The decor was bland, but not dated. Everything appeared to be immaculately clean. The bathroom facilities were in good working order and there was great pressure in the shower (as well as plenty of nice, hot water as soon as I figured out how to turn it on (NOTE: the staff DID offer to come up and show me, but I declined as I was in a hurry)). The windows opened for a nice breeze. There was construction behind the hotel, but it didn't bother me. The rooms were nice and quiet- but at a price.

If you have any difficulties walking, please DO NOT book the Jewell. EVERYONE has to climb up at least one LONG, NARROW flight of stairs to get to even the first floor rooms. I was on the third floor and nearly passed out DEAD by the time I lugged my suitcase up (and I'm in decent shape). There was an elderly couple staying just down the hall and I felt very sorry for them. I kept passing them on the stairs, stopping every few moments to catch their breath. I had requested a room on the lower floors, but didn't get it. If you DO make the request, I would recommend that you call early.

The breakfast was nice, although at odd hours. The times shifted on the weekends, so that I sat in the breakfast room feeling very self-conscious for nearly an hour. Apparently another couple in the room had arranged to have breakfast early, as they were being served- although the server didn't even give me a glance to explain what I was doing wrong...which brings me to my only complaint about this hotel:

I am a thirty year old professional who looks a bit younger than I am. I was travelling alone. Although I was greeted with a smile, that evaporated the moment that I opened my mouth and my accent came tumbling out. I admit, sadly, that some of my compatriots have behaved badly around the world and, further, that not everyone is happy with America right now, but I didn't have a chance to make a good impression. I got a sharp. "You're American?" and that was the last time that I was spoken to during my entire stay apart from the "Full Breakfast?" question in the mornings.

Hopefully the staff was cross about something else and this was an abberation, but it did color the whole feel of my stay. All of the other people in the hotel seemed to be having a marvelous time, laughing and joking with the server, etc. which only made me feel more left out. I don't think that I will stay at the Jewell again.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank kirixchi
Reviewed June 5, 2006

Well above averagr small hotel in Plymouth..well a posh B and B really but none the worse for that. so don't go expecting meals other than breakfast or bars or leisure facilities but if you want character rooms, great english breakfast and a homely and handily placed base in Plymouth then look no further.

• Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed November 5, 2005

This was a great place to stay, and very affordable. The room was large and clean. The bathroom was only ok. Large breakfast with fruit and yogurt and juices, which was above average. Location was very convenient to the Plymouth Hoe (Plymouth Dome, Plymouth Sound). Parking is a bit hard because it's on-road parking, but you'll find a spot eventually. Would definitely recommend this B&B to someone staying in Plymouth.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank alchemista
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 4, 2004

Very clean and well decorated with good service from a frinedly staff. Excellent value.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member