“Be Careful”

and 1 more site!
Jewells Guest House
Ranked #12 of 78 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Lovely guest house, friendly owners, super clean rooms and wonderful breakfast. Couldn't fault any of that but ... having specifically asked for ground or 1st floor room because of mobility problems the owners gave them to other guests who arrived the day before and made a lot of noise about being upstairs!

My friend and I, both with mobility problems, had to tackle 44 stairs four times a day.

Room Tip: Make your needs known - very postively!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at Jewells for a 2 night stay and would deffinately recommend it. The accommodation was spotless and the bedding and towels pristine. Breakfast was lovely and served piping hot. The lady (I assume was the owner) was friendly and efficient. If I had any issue with staying there it was the fact that people would stand outside the front door to smoke but I suppose they have to smoke somewhere!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of weeks with work and really liked it, the hotel is very clean, the rooms are spacious, and I found the hotel staff to be very friendly. The cooked breakfast was perfect and a good start to the day, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rong236
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This guest house deserves its reputation for being one of the best B&Bs in Plymouth. We booked at the last minute on Booking.com and were rewarded with a lovely spacious double room which included a single within it. This was fortunate, as the previous night in Exeter I'd eaten some seafood with ubon noodles at the Steak N Sushi, and it kept me up literally all night. I was pleased to be able to sprawl across the handsome double bed, with my wife kindly using the single. Breakfast the following day was most enjoyable, in particular because we were able to sit at the cental round table in the dining room. This allowed us to join in conversation with some Dutch guests who were making a brief visit to the UK. Europeans, not us, are perfectly at ease sharing tables, and we enjoyed their account of their visit. Keith makes a great mine host. Thanks

Room Tip: Number 2 was very good
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at the Jewells for a 30th Navy reunion and I'm so glad I chose it. The other reviews were generally all positive and my experience was better than expected. I had a double en-suite room which was clean and practical, the en-suite shower room was spotless. Comfy bed and a breakfast to make the Litlle Chef Olympian look paltry.

Parking was by daily (Plymouth council) permit bought from reception at £2.50 per day - competes well with most other cities. The Jewells is only one street down from the Hoe and a very short walk to the Barbican - couldn't nbe better for our weekend.

Excellent experience and would not fail to recommend.

Room Tip: Room 1 was very comfy and oon the first floor at the rear (quiet).
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank steve c
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Was staying in Plymouth for the firework competition and this B&B is very handy for the Hoe and town centre, so location is perfect. Our rooms were at the top of the house so a bit of a hike, especially as I don't know how to travel light! Any mobility problems you would need the ground floor room. Couldn't get wifi in our rooms, but apart from that they were fine, but as mentioned in other reviews v squeaky headboard. Breakfast was good but no where to wait if no table free.

Room Tip: No lift so if stairs are a problem ask for ground floor. Back of the hotel quieter than the front.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed here whilst visiting our son and his family.
It's a big Georgian house in an area of Plymouth near the Hoe dominated by hotels and guest houses.
It's clean, comforting and welcoming. The room we had was right at the top of the building, and there are no lifts - but you couldn't fit in a lift anyway. If you're booking here and don't or can't climb stairs, check which floor you're going to be on.
The clean and adequately sized room was at the back of the hotel, which made it very quiet; the thick interior walls ensured that we couldn't hear people in the rooms next door.
The beds were comfortable, although the leather headboards tended to squeak every time you moved!
En-suite was a shower which worked very efficiently - a nice touch was the supply of face flannels as well as towels, something you don't get at a lot of hotels.
Breakfast was nice - full cooked breakfast was not too much and not too little, and you could drink as much coffee as you wanted.
The hotel is handy for the city centre, the Hoe, and the Barbican, and the road it is on is very quiet.
One drawback is that it doesn't have much of a car park, and we had to park in a side street around the corner, using a visitor pass at £2.50 per day - very cheap for the middle of a major city.
Overall, Jewells is very good value - our stay cost £30 per night each, and I would recommend it to anyone staying in Plymouth.

Stayed: July 2012