“could be better but.....”
Review of Cannons Health Club - CLOSED

Cannons Health Club
Reviewed February 16, 2012

based on some other reviews here, I think this gym is trying to improve. I totally agree with the gym ventilation. It is the worst I have come across. The blowers seem to be almost non existent, and the heat is amplified by lots of spotlights (particularly on the running machines) and large glass windows.According to regular users this has been an area of complaint for some time. That aside, the layout is pleasant, the pool is great (if you are in after five when the kids have gone) and the location is convinient. As far as it being full of 'gym bunnies' , I see quite the opposite. Lots of middle aged professional people of various shapes, and no one seems bothered about anyone else. I would say if the ventilaton is addressed, this would be a premium gym.

4  Thank devon64h

Reviewed February 12, 2012

I have been a member of this gym, and it is a standard type of gym with a good number of cross trainers and tracks. I could never get to the classes, as the timings did not fit with working full time. They changed the opening times whcih really affected how much I could use it, and also found it a challenge to park there at times as they share a carpark with the multiplex cinema. because of this I resigned my membership

5  Thank Imogen_8
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Following up from my last review, I still remain disappointed with this gym. Numerous people still complain about the ventilation. Nuffield have clearly tried to fix it but failed. The current vents are inadequate. This is a serious flaw which wil be the dowmfall of this gym. Recently they have removed the awful coffee machine from reception however try getting a drink at the countrer after 5pm...impossible. No chance of relaxing over a coffee with friends after a workout and the staff are keen to tell you it is closed.
The recent drop in fees has attracted an increased membership however there is no investement into making this gym an enjoyable place to be. There are a host of new 'pay as you go' gyms opening up in Plymouth, and Nuffield really need to up their game if they want to continue to charge 'health club fees'

7  Thank steveh088
Reviewed September 19, 2011

There are positives about this gym but the negative is so huge I would definately not encouraging joining until it is rectified. The gym is hot with very little air flow. This might be great for the weightlifters but if you are using the running/ stepping/ rowing machines you will be really uncomfortable. While other gyms have ventilation aimed on to the machines (or at least nearby), Nuffield has hot spot lights with only a few machines having any vents anywhere near them. For the high cost of joining you would expect much, much better.

6  Thank donna h
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Gym is good - has lots of equipment and generally what you'd expect from any gym. I've been a member a few years and I've never had to queue for anything, although I do generally go during the day. Never done the classes.
The changing room is nice, although the free towels are missed. They were discontinued after the results of a supposed "member's survey". However, I don't know anyone who voted for their removal and everyone seems quite sad they've gone.
The pool, sauna and steam-room are clean and nice. However, I often find the water and room temperature to be too cold. Don't know what the food or spa treatments are like as we've never used them.

5  Thank rebeccatee