“not worth the joining fee in its current form”
Review of Cannons Health Club - CLOSED

Cannons Health Club
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Was a member of this gym when it was Cannons and took advantage of a recent Nuffield Health groupon deal to see in things had improved. On a positive note, it is a very 'adult' focussed club with no kids running around the changing rooms or dive bombing the pool. That is a huge advantage over other Plymouth clubs especially Fort Stanford and The Devonshire. Sadly there are too many poor areas. The biggest by far is the poor ventilation in the gym. It feels like a workout in a greenhouse..this is desperately bad and takes away much of the pleasure of using the gym. In fact I would go as far to say on hot days it is dangerous. The second unforgivable sin is the poor mix of equipment, in particular the lack of rowing machines (there is only four which even at quiet times creates a queue). At this price of membership it is unacceptable. The frequent cordoning off of much of the pool for lessons is an issue. If you pay full membership you do not expect to be confinded to one lane with other members while the rest ofthe pool is used for lessons. Finally the 'coffee area' has really gone down hill and in fact mainly closed at peak times (weekends and evenings) leaving probably one of the worst coffee machines I have ever tried. If you want to relax with a decent coffee and a newspaper after your workout...forget it. The Devonshire wins on this count by miles. If only these areas (in particular the ventilation) could be improved then this would be the best choice of gym for young professionals or older people without children in Plymouth. Unfortunately it misses the mark and therefore cannot be recommended.

6  Thank steveh088

Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have been a member since October last year after signing up for a 12 month contract. I was promised a reward if I achieve a certain level of fitness. Also when I joined towels were complimentary. All that changed two months into my membership. No more complimentary towels. I also discovered some of the rewards I was told I may have been eligible for weren't available at this club, even though this wasn't made clear to me when I joined. I complained at the highest level and have received little satisfaction. Staff don't return calls, and the manager is elusive to the say the least, either in meetings or unable to return calls the same day. The facilites at ok, but not brilliant. Last time I went the spin dryer in the ladies changing room was broken. I have tried hard to meet up with the manager to discuss my concerns but it's proving very difficult to arrange. I have found it to be an very unfriendly place and not at all focused on the clients. And, I'm told it's a charity which I find baffling to understand because it operates just like a business as far as I can tell.

6  Thank whitemerlina
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Formerly Cannons Health Club built as part of the Barbican Leisure Park alongside a bowling alley and multiplex cinema this is a busy pushy and predominently posey place. It is presented as a moderately large gym with pool and a lot of equipment but having been invited to savour and exploit the facilities on various short term discount deals and as a guest, I am disappointed to say that this does not seem to exist as a successful earnest health club, rather each time I have been, at different times of day week and year, it has been an uncomfortable parade of hunky bronzed muscly males and heavily coiffed tanned simpering young women, almost all preening and displaying for each others' benefits.
Not the kind of place where I or most of the people I know would want to use to get or stay fit or just relax.

6  Thank Jannerbloke