“No kids but dogs are OK??”
Review of Tap and Barrel - CLOSED

Tap and Barrel
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A busy food pub in an inner suburb with a reputation for hearty meals. Confused by at least one of your contributors with a a Harvester pub at Crabtree Plymouth but they are a couple of miles apart and entirely different. The tap and barrel is a St Austell Brewery pub. Favoured by families and local residents in the Mutley/Lipson ares especially on Sundays. Worth an entry.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I used to regularly frequent The Tap & Barrel as their food was always a good standard and it is quite close to our house; until the day we tried to take our son in and were turned away. This however is not the occasion I am referring to, we attended the Tap & Barrel for dinner as our son was at a relatives and we were celebrating the opening of our new shop. Whilst we were eating and enjoying ourselves a couple entered with a DOG and sat down in the seats just near us! We were disgusted why is it acceptable to have a DOG in a restraunt area of a pub but it is not acceptible to have a CHILD some moron came up with this ridiculous rule and needs to be shot! I DO NOT want to see a DOG sat licking its GONADS whilst I am eating my dinner!!!! Sort it out!

5  Thank Ruff2013

Reviewed November 17, 2013

4 adults turned away for having a 3 week old baby at 2 in the afternoon, but allowed to take your dog in??? What a ridiculous rule, will not be coming again.

3  Thank KatieJane27
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My daughter and her husband are very frequent customers of this pub and when they had family visitors from Durham they decided to take them to their favourite pub to eat at around 6pm. They had with them their new baby son who was 3 weeks of age and in a car seat with them and were turned away due to the pub's ridiculous policy of no children!!!
I can't t believe that a pub can afford to turn down the custom of 5 adults simply because they had an infant with them!!! This is disgusting treatment of regular customers.
I have no doubt they will not be bothering to give this establishment their custom again as they have no family in this area (all live 400 miles away) so nobody to take care of their son.

2  Thank Pauline C
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We have never been let down by the food at the Tap and Barrel. It is plentiful and well priced and the atmosphere is good. The menu changes frequently and they have a great specials board. In addition, they now serve a fantastic range of Salad dishes, omlettes with a massive range of toppings/fillings of your choice and homemade pizzas designed to order. In addition, they now do a lunch menu for £4.95 per head, and being only minutes from Mutley, I have found it to be a great place for working lunches.
Only disapponintment is that the pub itself is in need of a bit of refurbishment - maybe a suggestion for the Brewery, as the Landlord redecorated when they took over - but some of the furnishings and the tables are a bit tired, which seems a pity when the food and service is so good!!

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner came here a while ago and had an amazing meal so thought we would return yesterday ( Saturday and it was empty) with our daughter and her friend for some food after a lively day out to be told no children are allowed in the tap n barrel under 11???? They were 9/10 and are well behaved absolutely amazing they can afford to turn customers away they obviously don't need the money! Think that rule is a joke

2  Thank Sadie_les