“A Forward in Faith semi-Anglican Church”

St Peter and The Holy Apostles
Ranked #73 of 171 things to do in Plymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Wyndham Square, Plymouth, PL1 5EG
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Got taken here by local friends. Very interesting experience. It is an Anglican church which behaves a bit like a Roman Catholic church. It's charismatic and personable priest is addressed as Father and has just been in the New Years Honours list for his extemsibe work for the wider community. The inside and outside of the church are impressive. There is a lively congregation. The main difference between this and mainstream Anglicanism is the unwillingness to accept the ordination of women priests. Since our visit we had a look at the church web site and the FiF link and now understand a bit more. Don't regret out visit at all and would recommend free thinking folk to go watch listen and maybe engage. We will however remain sporadic but mainstream Anglicans.

25  Thank JoeS424
There are newer reviews for St Peter and The Holy Apostles

Reviewed August 4, 2011

The spire of St Peters Wyndham Square is an unmissible landmark from all over the southern half of the city and the building itself set in the well conserved Georgian early Victorian square is impressive. The interior which is as large as any church in the city, has undergone major restoration, changes and reconfiguration over at least the last decade. It is a seductive environment, tastefully put together. It is all the more remarkable for being in Stonehouse, one of the poorer and less advantaged areas of the city. But is this what we used to call a High Anglican establishment or a big catholic church. I am not very good at 'reading churches' although I am broadly familiar with 'low' or everyday Anglican practices
and habits. This church has large, in your face realistic crucifixes, numerous iconic images, the stages of the cross and all that. Looking at the paraphernalia, the references to mass etc and calling all the clergy 'Father' makes me confused. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. I had always presumed it to be Anglican but when I have been to services, baptisms, weddings, funerals etc nothing has been obvious. What I am certain of is that this is an important building and space and worth a visit. Not particularly historical but in modern terms done well. There are pix on one of the website but they do not seem to load easily and from the ones I have viewed they do not remotely do justice to the reality. Well worth a look. There is a cafe at the back but I am not sure when it is open.

13  Thank Jannerbloke