“Fab drinks, lovely atmosphere”

Plymouth Gin Distillery
and up
Historic Plymouth luxury one day private guided tour from Devon
Ranked #6 of 177 things to do in Plymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Gin Distillery that offers a variety of three different tours, shop and cocktail lounge Booking advisable for tours
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Great place to have before and after dinner drinks. I love this place!

Set in the old distillary serving great cocktails you couldnt ask for anymore.

11  Thank bf_evo

Reviewed October 9, 2010

I saw the Plymouth Gin Distillery did tours only on this TA website, but could find nothing about them on their own website, so it was an accident of walking past the premises that had me visiting for the 'basic' tour (£6 from memory) on a Wednesday late September 2010.

It was interesting enough but essentially involved visiting two rooms/spaces - one where the distilling process goes on (unseen on our day!). We were told they did two batches a week and by ill-fortune my day was one where the 'invisible' work went on ; and another tasting/smelling room - which was definitely worthwhile, and exposed me for the first time to Plymouth Gin & reacquainted me with the concept of Sloe Gin! (As another has mentioned it's a lesser known brand & few of our party of c10/12 had ever tasted Plymouth Gin before - and none of us were complaining about the opportunity!)

The tour ends with a voucher for either a G&T or soft-drink in the very pleasant upstairs bar/lounge (or for us drivers, a miniature Gin to take away), together with a £1 off a shop-purchase - so net cost of the tour is almost zero and it's definitely worth that!

So I THINK that Tue & Thu are currently the best days to visit to see more "action", and do consider whether to undertake more than just the basic tour (if/when such things are available and/or advertised by them on their website!).

10  Thank MKTripper
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Of 20 on the tour only 2 of us owned up to drinking Plymouth. It wasn't the longest most in depth tour, but you do get free tastings and either a drink in the cocktail bar or minature to take away. And I learnt that fine gin, like fine scotch, needs a drop of water to appreciate it's taste, and not some nasty supermarket home-brand tonic. I tried this theory back home with the other premuim gins we have and it's true. Cin cin!

11  Thank tilly69Macclesfield
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We did the "Master Tour" with a very knowledgable guide (Ed). For £40 a head, you get a history of the distillery, and of Gin itself; a tasting of 5 different styles of Gin (aong with a very helpful introduction to the botanicals used), and then you get to actually distill your own Gin! Each person takes home a 200ml bottle of their very own creation. A very good value afternoon (2 1/2 hours) - but you need to book in advance.

11  Thank AndyTheHat
Reviewed May 4, 2010

When I did this your, I had never tried Gin, so I was a complete novice when I did the tour. I mainly did the tour after seeing it on Oz & James drink Britiain TV Programme, so thought I would give it a whirl.

The old distillery has been there since it all began, and the tour is very imormative to how the process is taken place, and what makes them different to all the other brands that are out there. During the your you do get to smell some of the ingrediants, and have a couple of tasters which is good.

At the end of the your there is a free drink to have, and if you were like me you had to drive later that day, they gave you a small free bottle of either Gin or Sloe Gin to take away with you which was great as you already had a small taster during the tour, and you had to think about being over the limit!!

A great tour, and since I have been there I am addicted to Gin now - you have been warned!!!!

8  Thank gezzer30