“A favourite place to walk”

Saltram (National Trust)
Ranked #16 of 187 things to do in Plymouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Saltram House is a George II era mansion located in Plympton, Plymouth, England. The house that can be seen today is the work of Robert Adam, who altered the original Tudor house on two occasions. Wikipedia Saltram park offers a great place for walking, jogging, cycling and picnics. The park is open from dawn to dusk. Car park fees payable to non-National Trust members. Enjoy the Park Cafe, Shop and visit the House, Garden with Orangery, Castle Folly and Chapel Tea Room. There is a display of Arts and Crafts by local artists in the Gallery. Become a member and support the National Trust in the conservation work carried out to preserve our heritage for future generations and enjoy these facilities free all year. See our web pages for special events and opening time
Reviewed February 4, 2014

There is a good walk, pleasant gardens and an adequate cafe.

I find the road noise unwelcome

That said I generally go there once or twice a week

All reviews
in 21 reviews
"dog walkers"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Best thing about this place is the parkland.

The garden is nice and the gardeners work hard, but it isn't a particularly imaginative garden like some of the others.

The restaurant is extortionately expensive and has limited seating.

The house itself used to be good- but it was changed by one of the visitor experience managers and now it seems very disjointed.

NT so is always a safe bet on a rainy day but other local NT properties are much better.

1  Thank TravellingFreakShow
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Visited end of October on a fair to middling weather day but still plenty of visitors, albeit it seemed that most cars in the car park belonged to people taking their kids (half term) and dogs around the free parkland area. Far fewer people actually within the property and grounds (primarily due to the £10.70 each admission, no doubt), but still not deserted. Wasn't as bowled over by this house as some of the others in Devon that we've been to (Killerton, Buckland Abbey, Greenway for example). And, whilst the gardens were eminently pleasant, they didn't have the jaw drop effect that you get elsewhere....somewhat smaller and less spectacular...but still very nice and certainly manageable in terms of being able to get round the whole estate without feeling you've missed most it. Certainly well kept and indeed if I had a garden like that I'd thought I'd made it in life.

The house was certainly big enough, with enough rooms for the average Joe! but somehow there wasn't the same magic or drama or variety of amazing things to see that you get elsewhere...but, again, it was OK and if I was a bit more intelligent and learned I'd have probably appreciated it's finer points better.

However!!! What does tend to niggle me (and it could just be me...but I doubt it) is every time you enter a room the room guide seems to want to pounce on you and educate you with their own plethora of knowledge about this or that aspect of the room, irrespective of whether you want to hear it. They seem to seek immediate eye contact with you and want you to feign utter ignorance and admiration and be thoroughly intrigued by this or that piece of furniture or a particular inscription that they can (and do) impart vast information about. I'm sorry if this is harsh as I gather they're generally unpaid volunteers...but I have to say I don't want to be assailed and smothered by facts and figures by the guide in every room.

And one lady room guide in particular really did touch a nerve when my wife was pointing out to me, quietly... and personally...to me!!!...on our own!!!.... a display about the "Whiteway Dolls House". And in doing so she inadvertently stuck an "S" on the end of "Whiteway" and said "Whiteways". It transpired that this particular guide must have the radar hearing of a bat for she obviously overheard my wife and, having detected the extraneous "S", came over and, somewhat condescendingly and in a rather posh voice, corrected my wife and said " It's Whiteway!"...no "S" on the end!". I must tell you, dear lady, it's not good practice, not good...don't do that, PLEASE! Neither of us was rude in return as I'm sure she didn't realise just how self important and like a school mistress she sounded...but we didn't appreciate that one little bit.

To be honest I now wait for a group of visitors to engage the attention of room guides in order that I can slip by un-noticed and un-molested.

Didn't try the cafe, so it could have been spectacular for all I know.

And the lady on the reception desk was most welcoming (as they always are, in my experience) and pointed us in the right direction at the start of the tour...thanks for that. (If I was paying for two tickets to get in I'd have wanted someone to be uncommonly polite to me...it's not cheap, is it?)

So, apart from that one particular lady with amazing hearing and a slightly less than polite inclination to talk down to visitors, we thought it was OK....albeit I wouldn't have been overly pleased to have paid £21.40 for the two of us...if we'd not had a card I'd have felt cheated on this occasion. Sorry Saltram....you're OK but not out of this world.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I live quite near to this National Trust property and have visited many times. It is set in its own parkland, and as usual for the NT, it is very well kept. The house and grounds are open from Easter until about September. Easy to get to by car, but there is no direct bus route. Parking is free, and dogs are allowed in the parkland but must be on a lead in certain parts. Joshua Reynolds, the English artist was a frequent visitor to Saltram as he was a friend of the Parkers, the owners in the 18th century. Lots of interesting items in the house. During the summer different functions are held in the grounds, eg. jazz in the park, craft exhibitions etc. Well worth a visit.