“I love this place!”

Plymouth Arts Centre
Ranked #2 of 22 Museums in Plymouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Plymouth Arts Centre is a nationally acclaimed centre for contemporary art, independent cinema, and creative learning. We commission work by national and international artists, working with them to develop a unique, challenging and varied programme of exhibitions. Our cinema is independent, so we hand-pick all of our films, from the best of arthouse cinema from around the world to those blockbusters that you wouldn’t want to watch anywhere else. We stream live theatre from NT Live and RSC Live. We have Bringing in Baby and Demntia Friendly screenings. In the summer we go on tour for our annual Open Air Cinema screenings around iconic Plymouth locations like Royal William Yard, Tinside Lido and Mount Edgcumbe. Learning is at the heart of all of our activities. Plymouth Arts Centre is a creative place to socialise, and we want to enable as many people as possible to experience art, and feel inspired, confident and thrilled by what they encounter. We run regular Creative Play workshops for toddlers and their parent, and Family Art Workshops. We believe that culture changes the world for the better.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

First I love the quirky old building, it has character and great charm. Secondly it's fantastic to be able to see art / foreign films not available in the multiplexes, and in comfortable seats with good leg room - you can even take your drinks in with you if you so wish, and then there is the bar, relaxing sofas, the exhibitions, and really excellent restaurant upstairs where we have enjoyed many a meal. Pleas don't go and move to the characterless civic centre it just won't be the same!

3  Thank Veryan W
Kate F, Public Relations Manager at Plymouth Arts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

It's good to hear how much you love Plymouth Arts Centre - we think it's pretty special too! However, our current building does have its drawbacks - particularly the size and location. A move to a new building would give Plymouth world-class gallery space, two cinemas so that we can show both mainstream and 'art' films and more space for other activities as well as PAC Food. We will endeavour to keep all that makes us special, but at the same time, provide more art, film and food in Plymouth. Sign up on our website to receive our updates and let us have your views as our plans develop.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have rated this place five because I hope that Tripadvisor will move it to Attractions in the sense that it is mostly a cinema with small galleries and eating and drinking. As to a shop, all I have recently noticed, over several years is a small Ikea style shelving unit with a few magazines and arty nick nacks. Nothing interesting at all.

3  Thank Terry C
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The theatre is small and intimate so perfect for more art house films.
Decor is fresh and vibrant in an old stone building.
The Art Gallery has an engaging programme.
Restaurant and food upstairs worth a visit on it's own. As is the bar downstairs.
Friendly staff.
Great location.

3  Thank Catherinewoods0
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Actually the film was rather good too.(Late Quartet). Wife and I staying at the Royal William Apartments at Stonehouse for a long weekend. Came across the Arts Centre accidentally, ambling around the streets one Saturday afternoon. We booked the cinema/meal deal and we had a great night. You can take your wine into the small cinema, enjoy a film and then upstairs where there is a table with your name on it. We had delicious Risotto balls (Arancini?) with blue cheese and the freshest perfectly cooked whole Sole with lemon-caper butter sauce I've had in a long time. The service is friendly and efficient and as proof of how proud the kitchen is in their produce, a young chef came out with a cheese board and showed me what I had before me. A nice touch.

5  Thank Clive W
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I try very hard to like the Arts Centre. The film schedules are well selected and the little cinema is now more comfortable and accessible than before. I am coming to like the restaurant again. Not just the pre or or post film deals. The catering and the chef seem to be getting it together both as to quality and price. I don't really understand why the Arts Centre management and marketing folk don't use the reviewing media like Tripadvisor to show the public including existing past and potential new patrons what is actually going on. Peninsula Arts allied to the university have just put up a couple of dozen and more images of their events on their Tripadvisor listing including interior shots of the Jill Craigie cinema, the gallery at Drakes Circus and a lot of the outside events such as in St Andrews' Church. I know that Plymouth Arts Centre also does a good deal of it's work elsewhere in the city, away from the allow Street base. Can I please alert the Arts Centre management to these opportunities for giving local residents and visitors a better idea of what goes on, and also recommend the centre, particularly the films to Tripadvisor users who may only see this listing and reviews?

4  Thank DougalM_12
Kate F, Public Relations Manager at Plymouth Arts Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoy coming to Plymouth Arts Centre and note your positive reviews of the films and the food here. Thank you as well for your helpful advice on making the most of TripAdvisor, which I have responded to and just uploaded some more images. As with most charities and similar organisations, we are short of resources and staff and struggle as best we can. We are currently recruiting a Digital Marketing Assistant which should improve our digital communications but please do keep the feedback coming.