“Very good in parts, but quite bad in others...!”

Plymouth Arts Centre
Ranked #2 of 22 Museums in Plymouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Plymouth Arts Centre is a nationally acclaimed centre for contemporary art, independent cinema, and creative learning. We commission work by national and international artists, working with them to develop a unique, challenging and varied programme of exhibitions. Our cinema is independent, so we hand-pick all of our films, from the best of arthouse cinema from around the world to those blockbusters that you wouldn’t want to watch anywhere else. We stream live theatre from NT Live and RSC Live. We have Bringing in Baby and Demntia Friendly screenings. In the summer we go on tour for our annual Open Air Cinema screenings around iconic Plymouth locations like Royal William Yard, Tinside Lido and Mount Edgcumbe. Learning is at the heart of all of our activities. Plymouth Arts Centre is a creative place to socialise, and we want to enable as many people as possible to experience art, and feel inspired, confident and thrilled by what they encounter. We run regular Creative Play workshops for toddlers and their parent, and Family Art Workshops. We believe that culture changes the world for the better.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I wanted to give this 4 stars, my boyfriend wanted to give it 3 and he persuaded me!! The Arts Centre is a beautiful building - inside and out. It doesn't feel like you are in Plymouth - in a good way! We paid £24 each for a cinema ticket and 3 course meal. We paid extra for drinks, and my bf paid extra to upgrade to a large meal, which was £9 extra in total!
We were advised to arrive at 6:15pm for the meal as the film started at 8pm. However, service was slow, and despite our repeated requests, we did not finish our meal until 8:15pm and missed the start of the film, which was very disappointing. There were only 3 other occupied tables in the restaurant, and with 3 waitresses, we can't understand the lack of speed!
Starter was great, the bf's main was great. My salad came, but with balsamic dressing instead of the mint dressing advertised on the menu. I'm not a fan of balsamic, but ate it anyway, as we were aware of how late we were running... Our desserts finally arrived at 8:10pm (yes the film had already started). The bf was given coconut ice-cream instead of vanilla, and I was given apple chutney instead of the tomato chutney I ordered. I left my chutney as I hate apple, and didn't order a new one, as I wanted to watch the film, and the bf ate the ice-cream despite not being too keen on it! One other poor couple only just received their main as we were leaving to watch the film - they must've missed half of it, even though they had arrived at the same time as us! The restaurant really, really should sort this, as it was a big pain, and the bf said to me that he wouldn't come back. I think I would be tempted to go back, but just to watch a film perhaps, as a result of the bad restaurant service! It's a shame as they have a great vegetarian and gluten free selection - they just need to get these small but very significant things right!!
The film was great - a Norwegian one. The cinema was comfortable and warm.

5  Thank rebeccatee

Reviewed September 29, 2012

...this super little venue manages to screen some movies shortly after they go on general release, others are distinctly more 'arty', as you would expect. Drinks can be taken into the cinema.

4  Thank plymouth
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Came in because of the Tripadvisor 'shopping' category listing. Have come here over the years for films, occasional exhibitions and twice to eat. But there seems to be no shop. The receptionist was quite embarassed, exposing that there has been no shop for years, that even the selection of magazines has been substantially reduced. I saw a few items, cards etc on a couple of shelves, but that's it. I wouldn't recommend anyone to come here looking to buy anything. You may wish to come for coffee of a light meal or still use the quite comfortable little cinema for out of the ordinary films - but there is ( sadly) no shop! In Plymouth, Waterstones have some arty books, the University Bookseller on North Hill have some interesting stuff, I have not seen any performance art related (or any other items) on sale at the Theatre Royal or the Barbican Theatre. There are occasional gift shops with unexpected cards but little else within the art category.

5  Thank Cr0wM
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The old veggie place has gone and all posh now ... It is not cheap and the meal deal less good value than it used to be .. but times change and It does have a light and airy modern shabby chic atmosphere now. I have not eaten there recently - just coffee. I used to eat there all the time as my friends are veggie. I do have coffee there quite often as its so pleasant for groups to chat.

A good variety of films and they have current films too so if the times suit its a nice change from VUE the staff vary but an amazingly knowledgeable chap was the usher today, he knew so much about movies was awesome.

The coffee in cafe excellent as are the brownies but I would not buy one as they sit right on the counter uncovered literally under your nose when you order. I went with a chef who was horrified... a glass dome would make all the difference

7  Thank mcmummy
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We arrived for an early supper and then on to the cinema. What a lovely evening! We were the first to take a table as we were so early but staff were very welcoming and explained the specials. We started with a selection of delicious warm breads and olives, followed by a beautiful baked fish dish. Very tasty food - my only negative was that it was served on a wooden platter which was unsuccessful in containing all the juices and I just don't like it! However getting past that small matter, we then strolled downstairs to the cinema. Others were carrying their drinks in with them - how very civilised and we will next time. Comfy seats and so much nicer than queuing with the crowds at the local Vue. Great value for money both food and cinema.

6  Thank SnorklerOnTour