“Great Family Day Out”

National Marine Aquarium
Ranked #23 of 187 things to do in Plymouth
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Brilliant day out but it was very busy well it was the summer holidays and we picked a day when the weather outside was rather wet so many people were doing the same as us dodging the rain at this totally enclosed attraction. would advise if you want to beat the queues book online as they have a prebooked priority entrance. we were amazed by aquariums and the easy access plus non flash photography was allowed. We found the whole experience enjoyable and amazing and brilliant how they explain and carry out their conservation work. This attraction sadly does not have its own parking but there is plenty of fee paid parking at the Barbican run by the City Council. Although there was a couple of Disabled bays behind the Aquarium where the bus park is.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,999)
All reviews
"school holidays"
"great place to visit"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Actually was here for a conference- the whole upstairs is full of adaptable space, with great views. Got the chance to look around the aquarium for free.

What is admirable is the entirely conservation led approach adopted by the NMA. What you'll see is a carefully balanced mix of marine life to reflect the current ocean situation- and what might happen to these species in the future which I though was really interesting.

Theres some big wow factors none the less. It's great for kids it would seem- and on the big tank wall they regularly were holding workshops and kid's sessions. It's also as far as I know the largest of it's kind in the UK. What I'm trying to say really is: don't expect a sea life centre or similar; it's more compact then is marketed, but that doesn't take anything away from it, it's well worth a visit I think. Fantastic.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Slightly biased as a marine biology student, but I really like this place. In September I got a day pass and was told I could use this as free entry for 12 months, which I was extremely pleased with! I've definitely used my free visits, and can happily spend hours in here.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have visited the National Marine Aquarium several times but enjoy it just as much every time. The tanks are huge as are some of the fish on show. The sharks are particularly impressive. Staff are on hand to answer questions ans a nice feature are the little talks given in front of various of the main exhibits. Expensive but you won't regret it.