“Fantastic, a magical experience.”
Review of Burgh Island

and up
South Devon Coast and Country luxury private guided tour from Devon
Ranked #21 of 170 things to do in Plymouth
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fantastic, a magical experience.”
Reviewed March 12, 2004

I visited Burgh Island for a weekend in February and was very excited at the prospect of staying at the hotel as I had visited the island before but had only been able to admire the Hotel from afar. I was not disappointed; they boast of an authentic period feel and that was certainly delivered in every detail. I was swept up in the magic of the island and of the Hotel, I felt privledged and spoilt, it was fantastic. I have stayed at plusher, smarter hotels but nothing compares.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Torquay, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Lovely place, shame about the people”
Reviewed March 7, 2004

Burgh Island is probably one of the most beautiful places in South Devon. This idyllic location is unfortunately in the process of being destroyed by the recent purchasers who appear to be solely motivated by greed. Apart from the 'alledged' addictions of said owners, and the brutal regime they impose upon the staff and local residents - their wanton commercialisation of the beautiful island is leading to its rapid decline. Pay the island a visit - it may be your last chance to see an English paradise before it is ruined forever. PS - Don't stay at the hotel - extortionate prices and grossly over-rated!

26 Thank themanwithnoshoes
Exeter
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Something very special”
Reviewed January 15, 2004

My partner took me to Burgh Island for my birthday in November and I loved every minute of it. The whole experience of getting there before the tide gets in and Trevor meeting us to take us over in the 4x4 was exciting. We stayed above the Pilchard Inn in the Artist's Studio. It was an amazing room with views of the sea each side of the building.
The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and couldn't be faulted.
The only thing I would say is that the couple of broken panes of glass I saw could have been replaced for the price you pay for a night. It is a special experience that will stay wil you for life. Oh and one more thing they have a health club that can be used across in Bigbury on Sea so take your swimming cossie!

4 Thank emma_72
A TripAdvisor Member
“A Magical Step Back in Time!!!”
Reviewed July 15, 2003

In May 2003 we celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary by staying at Burgh Island Hotel for 2 nights. The entire stay was a sheer delight!
The hotel does not profess to be full of mod cons, and does not profess to be perfect......rather it is originally unspoilt and authentic ART DECO! This is not just in one room, but around every corner and every angle. I felt as if I had stepped out of Doctor Who's time machine - it is so utterley authentic and amazing!!! eg. rooms have NOT been partitioned to get more guests in - they are the original full size rooms and suites. I suppose this is why the tarriff is on the high side - so you get what you pay for! When you look around the place and realise the high ongoing maintenance costs of such a special old building then you can understand why the tarriff has to be as it is.
The staff were extremely helpful, and particularly the waiter "Gary" not only did his job, but he did it with Style and Charisma!!! Now I don't suppose many "modern" hotels can do that. So you must go here if you seek out an authenic Art Deco experience while the place is OPEN for business and was only made possible by the painstaking restoration by Tony Porter when he purchased the near derelict hotel in 1985, although it was more recently sold on to the present owners - Tony Orchard and Deborah Clark. I am keen to go back, but just have to save up the pennies!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Extortionate, far from luxurious... don`t waste your money!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2003

This hotel proports to be the "luxurious getaway from everyday life". You would certainly need to get away from this hotel after the shock of being shown to your room!! When every room costs over £300 per night, you certainly expect the highest quality available. Infact, had we not have been there to celebrate a 40th Birthday, I`d have checked out upon arrival. Our so called Suite can only be described as shocking..., broken window, filthy carpets and curtains, peeling enamel substandard bath, cracked wall tiles...... the list is endless - apparently ours was one of the rooms which is yet to be re-furbished, but is still full price!! It would have been so bad, except our party of 6 had spent the best part of £4,000 (for two nights)!!!

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member