“Great value gourmet cruise to St Malo: 4-6/11/13”
Review of Brittany Ferries

More attraction details
Owner description: Sail with Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth, Poole or Plymouth direct to France and Spain. Our routes take you closer to popular holiday destinations, saving miles of driving, fuel costs, tolls and overnight stops. Choose either superb comfort of a cruise ferry, no-frills economie service or speed across The Channel on our fast craft.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Have just returned from this 2 night getaway to St Malo to celebrate my birthday having previously enjoyed a similar trip to the same destination in February. This time however, we decided to sample Brittany Ferries' gourmet cruise offering, which in addition to two nights accommodation on the ship, gives you a 4 course meal in the main restaurant onboard, as well as a great 3 course lunch in the Café l'Ouest, a 15 minute walk from the port
I have to say that the overall package is very hard to fault. We decided to book the gourmet cruise on the recommendation of other passengers we had spoken to on our previous trip and we weren't disappointed. In my opinion £115 per person represents outstanding value for 2 nights in an upgraded club cabin with a TV, window and tea/coffee facilities when you would struggle to get one night in a decent hotel in the UK for a similar price without food. The meal onboard was superb; with huge choice and great service it puts plenty of more expensive restaurants to shame and its quality alone made the trip worthwhile. Lunch in Café l'Ouest was also very pleasant served by friendly staff: making an effort to speak a little French to the locals seems to go a long way!

We travelled on a different ship this time, the Bretagne having previously sampled the Pont Aven. I understand the Bretagne is much older and was certainly smaller than its more modern fleetmate, but myself and my partner actually much preferred it. The slightly smaller size seemed to give the ship more atmosphere, (in our opinion) with a nicer restaurant and better show bar at the rear and just seemed more comfortable overall proving that newer doesn't necessarily mean better. It definitely didn't feel like an old ship and also seemed to handle a force 8 gale pretty well which is always a plus at this time of year!

So overall then a very enjoyable and good value couple of nights away on a clean ship in pleasant surroundings with great food. Its definitely worthwhile upgrading your cabin if you can as we found it to be much nicer having a window and a TV available; inside cabins we have had in the past have been slightly claustrophobic, although fine for just one night. The ship felt more like a mini cruise ship than a cross channel ferry and for the money its hard to fault the overall experience. St Malo too, is a very pleasant town although it would be even better in warm dry weather!

To be recommended...

1  Thank Graham1984_11
Write a ReviewReviews (2,424)
All reviews
in 32 reviews
"loading and unloading"
in 32 reviews

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was recently returning from Spain to the UK and was booked on the Santander - Portsmouth crossing. This was cancelled due to a problem with the boat and Brittany Ferries could not accommodate me on another crossing until 15 days later! Therefore the only alternative was for me to drive from mid Spain to northern France to get on a crossing from Caen (an additional 600 miles and 9 hours drive). This in itself, of course, caused me quite a lot of distress as it cut my trip short. Brittany Ferries agreed to pay the cost of the petrol but, despite a number of complaints from myself, will not reimburse the cost of the extra toll roads that I incurred during my extra journey through France (£80) leaving me significantly out of pocket! Surely any reputable company would provide some kind of compensation, however small, for my distress and inconvenience but Brittany Ferries not only won't do this - they won't even cover my out of pocket expenses for the massive extra journey! I'm thoroughly disgusted. I recommend that you think very carefully about travelling with them as, if something goes wrong, they do not seem to care enough to ensure their customers' are taken care of.

4  Thank Chapman81
BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear ‘Chapman81’,

I am very sorry for the disruption caused to your travel plans and I understand how inconvenient this must have been for you. Unfortunately, following an unexpected technical fault we had to cancel your crossing for the ship to go into dry dock for repair.

Problems such as these are thankfully very rare, but when they occur we do our best to help those customers affected. On this occasion this has meant advising customers of the options available to them and refunding according to the customer’s choice. As you chose to travel through France and return via Caen with us we have refunded the difference in the crossings and provided you with a contribution to your onward travel costs, to assist you in getting to Caen.

I would be grateful if you could get in touch with me directly via my email jane.aldridge@brittanyferries.com so that I can ensure that you have been given the appropriate refunds and contributions. I will also be able to provide you with a letter to send to your insurers with detailed information regarding the situation to help assist with a claim.

Once again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment caused.

Kind regards

Customer Services

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I travelled on the 22:45 Portsmouth to Caen crossing and then the on Tuesday 29 October 2013 and 23:00 Caen to Portsmouth crossing on Saturday 2 November 2013. The Cabin I had on the outward crossing was great with tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer and a TV. The Cabin steward was really helpful and welcoming as was the crew on Mont St Michel and in the Car Deck. The prices were just right and the cabin and en-suite were very clean. The breakfast which came to the cabin on the outward crossing was great. The self service breakfast was standard. Brittany Ferries gives fantastic customer service as soon as you board the Ship.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

It was our fist time using this route. We booked well in advance to ensure a decent price and as users of LD lines in the past, were very pleased with the initial standard of the boat Pont Avon for the outward leg to Santander. The food is basic and expensive but we were happy to pay as it was better than what we had experienced before using LD. A nice surprise was that we had free WiFi in certain zones for the whole crossing which was fairly good strength. When it came to sleeping in our two berth cabin, the room was small but clean, the beds were excruciatingly hard and you only get one pillow, hence not a good nights sleep even though the sea was pretty flat. Outside space the boat was good and we found a sunny place to dolphin and whale spot, of which we saw a few. Getting off at Santander was pretty easy and the sat nav did its job and got us out and on our way with no issues. The return journey from Bilbao on Cap Finistere was not as good. We had issues finding the port using sat nav and eventually arrived with minutes to spare. Once onboard our four berth cabin was more spacious, very clean but we had the same issues with the hard beds and lack of pillows. The choice of food was less, so unless you wanted to pay £30 per person for dinner, your only choice was a salad from the mini market. Also hot breakfast was £10 but didn't look that nice, so instead it was a pastry or roll from the shop. The WiFi was not as good either, although it was available the signal/speed was very weak making it frustrating. Not much outside space in this boat either and most of which is taken up by smokers. A smoke free outside zone might be worth a thought on both boats. This boat also seem to have TVs on in the WiFi zones and main seating areas, which is fine if you are a fan of daytime TV but as I am not I found it annoying and intrusive. Entertainment on both boats was good, if you like that sought of thing. Brittany Ferries really need to brush up on a few points to make this a wholly pleasurable experience but for me, I will be sticking to the Pont Avon in the future.

BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear ‘eejayflipper’,

It is good to hear that you were pleased with the standard onboard Pont-Aven when you travelled to Santander.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the pillow provided; we do offer more pillows if you would like them, please just ask at the information desk onboard for another one.

It is disappointing to read that you were unhappy with the choice of food available on Cap Finistere. For your information we also have Le Cafe Salad Bar on the top deck which offers hot food such as pasta, pizza and burgers amongst other things. An English breakfast and continental breakfast are also available from here.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the entertainment onboard as well as making use of the complimentary WiFi.

Thank you for travelling with us and we appreciate the feedback that you have given us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again in the future.

Kind regards