Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Review Highlights
Trouble free trips

Have used the ferry four times in the last 2 years. The overnight crossing is always fine, but a... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Steve M
Easy boarding for bikes

Our first time in board with bikes and we found the process very easy. Our cabin was very comfy... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
ZWalton
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom

2,691 results
All reviews pont aven st malo self service restaurant mini cruise commodore cabin overnight crossing car deck return journey berth cabin inside cabin main restaurant both ways plymouth roscoff club voyage reclining seats ferry company a la carte restaurant
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a nice trip to Cherbourg with Brittany Ferries. It was easy to book from the website. Actually was a good deal - £23 return for 2 people - one of those summer deals. Everything was very well organized, the staff was very friendly, the ship was very clean – Normandy Express. The only thing I have to point here was the delay - both ways. On the website it says - we were supposed to arrive @ 1pm French time, but we were there 30 mins later. Same on the way back - 7pm uk time, but we were @ Portsmouth 30 min later. I understand there are possible delays, but both ways - it`s not acceptable. The bad thing was we had half an hour less @ La Cite de la Mer. If this is a practice please put the correct time for arriving and departing on the website, so people can do their plans better.

BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear ‘Desislava A’,

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Cherbourg onboard Normandie Express.

Please accept my apologies for the delay that you experienced, I can understand your disappointment especially as you were on a day trip and this meant that you had half an hour less in La Cité de la Mer. Despite this I am pleased to read that you found that everything was very well organized, the staff were very friendly, and the ship was very clean.

Thank you for taking to write your review and letting us know your feedback.

Kind regards
Jane

Customer Services
Brittany Ferries

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We returned from Santander on this boat and were very disappointed after a very pleasant trip out a few day previously aboard the Pont Aven.A significant part of the deck space seemed to be taken up by the dog area which had a definate whiff about it .Our cabin was fine but we were very disappointed by the standard of food in the main restaurant which was not cheap but of a mediocre standard.

2  Thank Malcolm F
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The cabins are always clean, and the staff efficient, if somewhat unsmiley. The loading of the boat took two hours and seem very haphazard, although I hope it isn't really. We travelled on the Cap Finistere there and back so enjoyed the buffet. They seem to have cut back on what is available, but as it was always a very generous buffet anyway, we didn't mind,

The wine selection is good in the restaurant Although I have to say that the champagne is lousy, so don't bother. The first time we took a BF ship there was a wonderful Moët and Chandon available so we mistakenly thought that it would always be there! Ho hum......

Anyway, the boat was late leaving, for which there was no explanation, and therefor arrived late. Unloading was relatively quick and driving through Portsmouth was fine.

One thing I always find fascinating: why is there so little I want to actually buy in the shop? We used to travel with P and O until they cancelled the route, and we swapped to BF. BF makes a point of selling French brands which don't seem to appeal very much to British buyers. I would guess that 70% of their customers are British so why not sell stuff that the Brits actually want to buy instead of French brands I've never heard of? Im sure P and O made a fortune just out of selling me handbags! It seem rather odd to deliberately turn down such a great retail opportunity. On the plus side, the free wifi is really useful and much appreciated.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

As a family we have enjoyed trips on BF from Poole and Portsmouth to/from St Malo, Caen and Cherbourg. For us it is the default channel crossing as the overnight sailings we normally take are an ideal break after driving 460 miles to/from Scotland and the 420 mile drive we have to/from the Dordoyne on the other side.

The staff are always brilliant and the cabins can never be faulted. They are always very clean and well presented. The facilities on-board are first rate and the food good and reasonably priced for what you get.

However, there is one minor niggle that stops this being a 5 star review. On all our previous BF crossings we've booked Commodore Cabins and have assumed that as we've been parked up on the lower car deck (giving very quick disembarkation) that this is a perk of Commodore. However, on Bretagne on Monday night we were again in a Commodore cabin but parked away in deck 5. As you have to wait until all the lower decks are emptied it was a good 45 minutes after the first cars got off before we did. In the last 12 months I've changed my car from a Discovery to an Audi but they were both sub 1.83m cars so it isn't a change in height that has driven the change.

This is something that I think BF should look at. It wouldn't cost much, if anything, to give priority to Commodore cabins in much the same way as airlines do with Business and First Class. On the return from Caen we have a standard cabin but I hope we don't end up on an upper car deck as getting off quickly is very welcome when you have a further 460 miles to drive.

BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear ‘DiscoGaza’,

I am pleased to hear your positive comments regarding the standard of our cabins and our facilities onboard. It is especially nice to read of your appreciation of the crew and I am sure that they will be delighted as well.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the deck where your car was parked on your most recent crossing. We have previously trialled priority boarding for Commodore customers but operationally it was very difficult due to customers arriving at different times – some early, some late. In addition, some Commodore customers travel in high vehicles, some require assistance, some need to be parked next to a lift, others with pets, some with a trailer and others in a mobile home. Vehicles obviously have height restrictions but vehicles can also be loaded on certain decks because of their approximate weight. We tend to require more weight on the lowest deck.

We appreciate the time you have taken to post your review and I would also like to take the opportunity to thank you for your continued custom with us.

Kind regards
Jane

Customer Services
Brittany Ferries

Reviewed July 2, 2013

on driving on to the Pont Aven the crew member that parked us ,in my opinion parked us to close to the starboard side, 8m caravan was only a fag packet away from the iron work of the ship. However next day when we came to drive off the Ferry the same crew member took great care to make sure we moved away with out having a problem, very helpful. Will be on Pont Aven again in October. Roll on.