“awful ferry company”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Brittany Ferries

Ranked #1 of 22 Tours in Plymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Sail with Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth, Poole or Plymouth direct to France and Spain. Our routes take you closer to popular holiday destinations, saving miles of driving, fuel costs, tolls and overnight stops. Choose either superb comfort of a cruise ferry, no-frills economie service or speed across The Channel on our fast craft.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Ammanford, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“awful ferry company”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I travelled on the ferry from Plymouth, the cars were parked so close to each other the only way I could get out of the car, was to climb over to the passenger seat, and at 66yrs of age not a good idea. so now Eurotunnel for me.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank kenward71
BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear ‘brynAmmanfordWales’

I am really sorry to hear of your experience. There should always be room when the vehicle is parked for the driver to exit with a reasonable degree of dignity. Please can you contact me directly at jane.aldridge@brittanyferries.com so that I can look into this matter further.

Thank you for travelling with Brittany Ferries and for taking the time to post your review.

Kind regards
Jane

Customer Services

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Travelled Portsmouth to st Malo on the overnight crossing, took a commodore cabin well worth it. Staff were excellent and whole experience good. We ate in the proper sit down French restaurant rather than self service restaurant, mistake. Buffet starters were ok but main course choice limited and whilst food was ok what we ended up paying was not good for what we had. Having said that it was clear on the menu so no grumbles. When I do this again and we will we will either bring our own food or try the self service area, it's better value, all in all though a great experience well done brittany ferries

2 Thank Badgersteve
Widnes, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“The best route to southern Spain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We sailed on the Cap Finistere from Portsmouth, staying in one of the commodore class suites. A really enjoyable experience. The room was excellent for our needs, given just 24 hours on board and the food more than adequate with a good selection of wine. This is an excellent way to drive / sail to southern spain, one we will be repeating for the future. We also linked into a good Novotel just North of Madrid which made the journey times very acceptable.
All in all a very good solution for our needs.

1 Thank John P
London, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Well, at least the Bretagne has more comfortable beds...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We did a mini-cruise from Portsmouth to St Malo last week on the Bretagne.Check in was quick, but boarding took a long time with the car - I guess the guys doing the loading knew what they were doing! We had a 4 berth outside cabin, which seemed slightly larger than the equivalent one on the Pont Avon last year. The beds were actually better this time around - I was quite surprised! Whilst the Bretagne is a smaller boat, there was plenty of room even though it was quite busy. Unfortunately, the food isn't the best (as I mentioned last year) but there were more choices. Breakfast was still a disappointment - oh well...

Coming back, check-in was quicker, even though most returnees and their cars were early due to the appalling weather! It was a bit bumpy on the way home and NOT helped by the one car on the car deck - one below us - whose owner couldn't/didn't disable the alarm, despite repeated reminders by the staff...Needless to say, every bump/sway was met with the loud alarm sounding...

I opted for the continental option for breakfast on the way home though, apparently, you can't have the cheese unless you are having the bread - so no cheese and croissants, then.But, said croissants were nice and fresh and the chocolate versions were very good!!

That said, I think we'd use Brittany Ferries again as their website often has some good offers.

Bristol, United Kingdom
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“A pretty slick operator.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Brittany Ferries know what they're doing and are generally pretty efficient. We travelled on the overnight crossing from Portsmouth to St Malo. We enjoyed a good meal in the evening and were lucky to have a calm crossing. I suspect that first timers travelling on the overnight boat could find it overwhelming and more staff available to explain how to find cabins would help. There are usually quite a few lost souls wandering around and the boat "maps" are not that clear.

There are signs of cost cutting including coffe bein gpoured by the cup at breakfast rather than a jug of coffee being left at the table. This is irksome as the coffee gets poured just as you head to the buffet so is cold by the time you get back to your table with your food. Then the staff who are supposed to be wandering around with refills seem to disappear.

Overall it remains the best way to travel if you're heading for the western side of France. However, there is almost no competition so value for money is debateable.

Visited March 2013
BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear ‘Anne001_12’,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your crossing from Portsmouth to St Malo and had a good meal onboard.

It may be of interest to you to know that we are in the process of producing new ship guides for our fleet, including one for the Bretagne that will be available shortly, which will show individual cabins to help customers in locating their onboard accommodation.

I have taken note of your comments regarding the coffee and I will forward this to our Onboard Services department.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon

Kind regards