“Stayed here overnight whilst working, suited me!”
Review of Ashgrove House

Ashgrove House
Ranked #69 of 78 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Stayed here overnight whilst working, suited me!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Overnight stop paid for by the company, howany cities can you stay in for £35 near to it's major attraction, with breakfast included! Breakfast was ok, room a little tired but fine, and a lovely welcome with plenty of conversation throughout. If work takes me there in the future, will rebook.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I want to begin by saying I think the owners have done this place and injustice. It is a lovely building in a great location! When we arrived the woman who answered did not introduce herself. She did not show us to our room instead just gave us the key and left us to it. Did not tell us anything about the facilities or breakfast. All the while their dog was jumping around us, good job we like dogs because nothing was done to calm it. Basically the initial impression/customer service was poor. When we got to the room it didn't improve. Stains on the ceiling/walls, old shampoo etc wrappers in the shower and overall unclean and dated. The breakfast was ok but nothing more than that. The toast was too burnt for my liking as well as being cold. A few little tweaks here and there would make a huge difference to this place, mainly giving it a good clean!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank PipLaRouge

Travelers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We both enjoyed a relaxing 4-night stay in this traditional B&B-style guest house. Proprietors were very pleasant. Room was immaculately clean and of a decent size. Breakfast was good, with a decent variety on offer. Ideal situation for all the tourist areas of Plymouth, especially The Hoe.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed for 3 days and could not have been made more welcome.The landlady could not have been better. A real homely place that is really friendly. Food was good and I really enjoyed my stay. I will be going back this time with my children.

• Stayed August 2013
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of days last week as it was conveniently located to the Hoe where the National Firework Championships were being held, we were visiting Plymouth to see them. That's the only positive thing I can say about this B&B really.

When we arrived Teresa asked us if we were in the right place as she couldn't find my booking. She looked again and did find it but for the wrong days. She did give us a room but not after complaining that she now wouldn't have a room for her work man, I hasten to add that I booked months in advance.

The room also left a lot to be desired I'm afraid. The shower was terribly moldy and you certainly didn't feel clean after showering in it. Something that could probably be easily fixed.

The bed was awful, far to soft, when one of us sat on the bed the other one almost bounced off and as I've recently had back surgery, this was not good. Investing in some good quality beds and mattresses wouldn't go a miss here.

Breakfast, well, where was it?. My husband doesn't eat egg or beans so when his plate arrived it looked very bare. Normally you would get extra sausage and bacon or something to fill up your plate, but no, not here. And the toast, well all the guests were complaining that it was like cardboard, thin, cold and hard.

The worst part of our trip was that Teresa tried to charge me twice for the room. I paid cash on arrival but she didn't make a note of this, so this morning in the post I received a letter from her asking me to pay as my card wasn't working. Thank god it wasn't or I would have been charged a second time and I don't fancy my chances of getting my money back from this less than dynamic woman.

I didn't see Teresa smile once while we were there, it certainly was not an inviting place and actually made us feel quite uncomfortable. As we left we spoke to other guests outside and they had all the same complaints that we did.

I certainly would not recommend this B&B to anyone else, there are far nicer to be had.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oceanhorse
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed at Ashgrove House for a long weekend with my wife and overall, we were pleased with this lovely B&B. The rooms were comfortable and pleasant although the housekeeping could have been better. The room wasn't dirty, the bathroom was clean but it was a little dusty. Having said that, I would still recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed March 30, 2013

It is a lovely B&B, located walking distance from the Hoe. All of the rooms are clean and comfortable. the staff are all very welcoming and the food is exceptional! We all will return soon and would recomend to anyone waiting a fair priced B&B in Plymouth!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family