“Very disappointing”
Review of Ashgrove House

Ashgrove House
Ranked #68 of 79 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of days last week as it was conveniently located to the Hoe where the National Firework Championships were being held, we were visiting Plymouth to see them. That's the only positive thing I can say about this B&B really.

When we arrived Teresa asked us if we were in the right place as she couldn't find my booking. She looked again and did find it but for the wrong days. She did give us a room but not after complaining that she now wouldn't have a room for her work man, I hasten to add that I booked months in advance.

The room also left a lot to be desired I'm afraid. The shower was terribly moldy and you certainly didn't feel clean after showering in it. Something that could probably be easily fixed.

The bed was awful, far to soft, when one of us sat on the bed the other one almost bounced off and as I've recently had back surgery, this was not good. Investing in some good quality beds and mattresses wouldn't go a miss here.

Breakfast, well, where was it?. My husband doesn't eat egg or beans so when his plate arrived it looked very bare. Normally you would get extra sausage and bacon or something to fill up your plate, but no, not here. And the toast, well all the guests were complaining that it was like cardboard, thin, cold and hard.

The worst part of our trip was that Teresa tried to charge me twice for the room. I paid cash on arrival but she didn't make a note of this, so this morning in the post I received a letter from her asking me to pay as my card wasn't working. Thank god it wasn't or I would have been charged a second time and I don't fancy my chances of getting my money back from this less than dynamic woman.

I didn't see Teresa smile once while we were there, it certainly was not an inviting place and actually made us feel quite uncomfortable. As we left we spoke to other guests outside and they had all the same complaints that we did.

I certainly would not recommend this B&B to anyone else, there are far nicer to be had.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oceanhorse

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed at Ashgrove House for a long weekend with my wife and overall, we were pleased with this lovely B&B. The rooms were comfortable and pleasant although the housekeeping could have been better. The room wasn't dirty, the bathroom was clean but it was a little dusty. Having said that, I would still recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2013

It is a lovely B&B, located walking distance from the Hoe. All of the rooms are clean and comfortable. the staff are all very welcoming and the food is exceptional! We all will return soon and would recomend to anyone waiting a fair priced B&B in Plymouth!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Lovely B&B! Very friendly welcome. The proprietor couldn't have been more accommodating. Rooms were clean, tidy and kept to a high standard. The B&B was in a fantastic location! Couldn't get closer to the hoe! I Stayed for my Graduation with my partner, father and grandparents and everyone was very happy with the stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 56Gary
Reviewed September 16, 2012

A nice clean, comfortable B&B. The proprietor could not be more helpful and will meet your needs as much as she can. The B&B is conveniently situated for the Hoe and Barbican as well as the city centre.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Lovely old Victorian house, with very high ceilings. Tastefully decorated downstairs in traditional style. Very well located and reasonably priced. A friendly welcome, clean en-suite room with all facilities, and a good breakfast. Comfortable bed and a quiet night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank PSG40
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Firstly i would like to point out how clean the owner keeps this historic sweet building, i own a cleaning business and travel around the country on many different contracts, taking upto Three people with me and can sometimes be in a different Bed and Breakfast for Four days, so picking the correct all round package, not only to keep myself happy but also my staff, i rang the Ashgrove as my regular, was full, from the first words spoken teresa could not of being more than helpful, a breakfast to died for, set me and my crew well and good for the day, i would truly recommend this place whether an hungry building firm or a clean freak, Happy staying.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business