“Friendly welcome”
Review of Rusty Anchor

Rusty Anchor
Ranked #30 of 79 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We only stayed one night but were made very welcome.
The location was great and we had a lovely walk into the city ( not far) while enjoying the sea views.
Breakfast set us up for the day and we enjoyed the homemade bread.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 16, 2013

On it's website this guesthouse claims to provide luxury b&b with stunning views - this was NOT what my husband & I experienced.
Our "en suite" double room was so small and crammed that we had difficulty negotiating around the double bed. There was a shower cubicle ( one stepped directly out onto the bedroom carpet when exiting ) and a wash hand basin in the room, but the W.C. was a shared facility located on a landing just outside of our door.( this was not I was expecting having paid for en suite ) The complimentary toiletries consisted of one bar of used soap while our "stunning view" was of the flat roof of an extension and the car park of the apartments opposite.
Breakfast was freshly prepared and nicely cooked but fundamentally it was still the basic bog-standard British b&b fare ( rasher of bacon, sausage, mushroom, tomato,baked beans and egg ) and no amount of "sourcing locally" is going alter that ( I've had just as good, if not better, in 'Wetherspoons')
I,m sorry Jan, you are a nice friendly lady and your guest house is clean and welcoming but if you think you are providing luxury you are delusional !

Room Tip: Do not accept room No1. unless offered at a greatly reduced rate !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a great holiday in Plymouth -no thanks to rusty anchor. Small room with less than private shower cubicle nest to bed and basin in room separate toilet, one chair, no table, View from side of bay window down the road to sea wall showing a fraction of Plymouth sound. Acceptable but not substantial breakfast but no proper nights sleep due to a chains-smoking workman oick from Milton Keynes noisily dressing at 2 or 3 in the morning to go and smoke in the street. Jan not there and deaf lady left in charge unable to cope. Lack of sugar and drinking water and only UHT milk in the room.Not worth £70 a night even with one night free. The room was clean.

Room Tip: look before you pay
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas F
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband, two sons aged 14 and 9,and myself had a lovely single night stay at this b and b.
Situated on the West Hoe, we had a easy walk into town and stroll along the seafront, wonderful views. On arrival we had a warm welcome from Jan, who showed us to our room on the top floor of this Victorian terraced house. So good to have a separate room (linked by double doors) for the boys, which has comfy bunk beds ( big enough for my 6ft 14yr old!) a sofa and tv. Two happy boys. Plenty of storage space too. Our room had a comfy double bed, and nice ensuite shower room. Both rooms have roman blinds and curtains, so keeps the light out if children need. Also in childrens room there was a cot bed, and folding bed if needed. We all slept well, and enjoyed our cooked breakfast, plenty of tea,coffee, toast, juice and cereal. Our 9 yr old was even invited back for seconds if he wished after an hours break! Overall Jan was a lovely host in this simple , laid back b and b. We hope to return!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I have just left and have to say Jan is brilliant. As soon as I walked through the door yesterday, nothing was too much trouble!

The room was clean and supplied with everything expected.

This is most defiantly somewhere to stay for a comfty night sleep!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Due to a last minute change of plan when returning my son to university I had to contact my husband to find overnight B & B for me.On telephoning the B & B was he was offered a single room for £40.00 but declined. Going on to a laterooms website spotted single room for £32.00, went to book and found it was the same B & B, he paid online and I arrived 1 hour later only to be told the room had been taken by a gentlemen who had walking in off the street. However there was another room available slightly more expensive,I made it clear that I was not happy but at that time of night had little choice. Apart from 1 other couple, all the other rooms were empty and I never saw the mystery man either at breakfast or around the B & B. The extra charge was dropped after a discussion after breakfast, fearing a bad report on trip advisor. I will be returning to Plymouth over the course of the next 3 years but will not be staying here again, neither would I recommend it. This not the way to encourage business.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2012

On a miserable wet afternoon in August I was greeted in a warm friendly manner by Jan. I was upgraded after booking myself in for a single room to a twin single room at no extra cost which was much appreciated. The breakfast was excellent and the hospitality second too none, much recommended would definatley use again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo