“Lovely Welcome”

Edgcumbe Guest House
Ranked #2 of 78 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 25, 2012

From the outside it isn't the most attractive, but all very clean and tidy inside. We had a very small room - only there for one night so not the end of the world. The electric loo system is fine, but it kept cutting in all night, which was annoying. (We did advise the landlady.) En suite bathroom is miniscule, almost a cupboard, which is acceptable but not ideal. This was Room 2, so suggest if you plan to stay for more than one night you check which room you have. I think there are eight rooms.
Location is lovely, right on the Hoe, very close to the sea. Just around the corner is a proper fish and chip shop with a few tables - very budget-friendly and tasty and with great service.
Landlady and her mother are very friendly and welcoming and helpful. Parking is a little tricky - we were lucky as we arrived very early and bagged the only off-road space, but there is free on-road parking from 4.00pm.
Breakfast was excellent - all pretty good value, but I would have been happier with a £10 discount for tiny room and bathroom! (£70 per night)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SusieSu15

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed one night to catch ferry next day to Santander. Ferry is very close. Great guesthouse and Carla is very warm and welcoming. We went for the four poster room and it is lovely. Very handy for the sea and restaurants. Great location. Breakfast was lovely. Child friendly. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for room 7. Double aspect.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

As soon as we arrived, we were warmly welcomed by Carla, she made our stay comfortable, nothing was too much trouble.
Our room was clean, and well looked after, a real bargain for the price. The room included Tea/coffee making facilities as well as a selection of hot chocolate, biscuits and mineral water.
The guest house is ideally placed, it is in a quiet location, and yet is close to all amenities. It is very close to Plymouth Hoe, the sea, and the town centre is just a 10-15 minute walk away.
Breakfast was cooked to order, and was delicious.
We look forward to returning some time in the near future, and I would have no hesitation in recommending this guest house. It certainly represents great value for money.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed for one night at Edgcumbe, as we came up to watch a show at the near-by pavilions. We did experience some area's to improve on though, in the room in which we stayed in.

GOOD

Breakfast
Breakfast was superb, cooked to order so was hot, and used quality ingredients, and was a good portion size. Good service skills as we were offered extra toast and tea/coffee during our meal.

Very accomodating.
Carla arranged our room to be ready for our arrival off the train in early afternoon which is an earlier time than check-in at hotels, allowing us to freshen up before spending the afternoon roaming the plymouth shops. This pleased us a lot.

Carla too allowed us to leave our luggage on the premises after check-out as our train was in the mid afternoon, so we could collect it at a later time so that we didn't have to wheel it around plymouth all day.

Communications
Good communication before arrival to confirm booking and check our arrival time.

Location
Not too far way from town. Carla quickly on hand to provide a comprehensive map of the local area too. Close (10-15 mins walk) to town centre.

Good range of tea, coffee, hot-choc and of course the best bit... free biscuits. Everyone loves a free biscuit.

NOT SO GOOD

The room was a little small, but i'm sure that there are much more spacious rooms on the premises.I'm aware that the room we had booked (Room 2), was not the best the premises has to offer, but as it was only for a single night it didn't really matter. If however you are staying for longer i would suggest a larger room.

Bathroom
The toilet is an electric pumped toilet, which has restrictions but was fine. What wasn't so nice was the rotten egg smell, that surfaced every time it drained away. not sure if this is a permanent problem due to the type of toilet or just a drainage problem that needs fixing.

The shower cubicle had black mould growing on the silicone seals, just a mould spray and a scrub or better, re-siliconing could easily rectify this.

The room aboves water drainage (pipes located outside wall of room) could be heard quite loudly in this room at night-time.

When we arrived back from our show, and took the cushions off the bed the bed sheet had what looked like coffee or red-wine stains on it. we had not used these facilities so i guess the stains were not spotted when the bedding was changed before we arrived.

Decor is a personal preference, and you cannot please all the people all the time. But i do feel that our room although was tasteful, is just slightly out-dated. But that is personal preference. Others may love it.

IN CONCLUSION
Edgecumbe Guest House has a lot of promise and carla is a good hostess. I feel a little spruce up around the edges could take this to a 5 star revue... In all fairness i'm sure that if i voiced my concerns to carla at the time she would have swiftly re-located us to a different room.

Room Tip: Steer away from room 2
1  Thank Dean B
calmer50, Owner at Edgcumbe Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

“TAKING THE BISCUIT?!”
I was somewhat surprised and disappointed to read your “revue”/review.
Firstly, as the notices in all bedrooms states, "if you like what we do tell others, if you think something is not quite right, please tell me now so that I can put things right straight away." Nothing was mentioned at the time of your stay. Indeed you were so pleased that I went to extreme lengths to prepare your room early to allow you to check in at mid-day and also for me to wait in for you to return at 2.45p.m. to pick up your luggage on the day of departure.
You yourselves chose the smallest room available presumably because it comes at a very competitive price and as you stated, it was only for the one night. It is described as a ‘cosy room’ yet does have a full sized double bed with ample floor space all around the bed and is easily within English Tourist Board recommendations. The room was redecorated in neutral colours to the highest standards complete with new carpet only 18 months ago. All the bedding, curtains and soft furnishings are less than 2 months old. I have questioned my staff and the laundry and checked my linen cupboard, none of the bed linen is, or has been stained, so this remark is questionable.
The rotten egg smell was from outside drains in the street which have since been pumped clear following a complaint I made to Plymouth City Council.
The shower cubicle is steam cleaned on a weekly basis. There is a tiny speck of black staining which will not come off even after using a commercial strength mould spray, brushes, a steam cleaner, bleach etc. The silicone will be replaced at the end of the season but it is not possible to do so when the room is in constant use. However, I can assure you and other guests that a stringent cleaning programme is adhered to both daily and weekly.
On a positive note, I’m pleased that you recognised that I went out of my way to accommodate you, that you appreciated the quality breakfast and that my communication and service skills were at an acceptable standard for a friendly, family run guest house. Oh, pleased to hear you liked the free biscuits – yes, a freebie.
Constructive, factual feedback is always greatly appreciated. This allows me and my staff to improve on any areas which may enhance the guests’ experience. However, I do feel you have been particularly harsh and unfair. You only have to read other reviews to get a truer picture of Edgcumbe Guest House.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Plymouth.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was our first visit and we will definitely be returning. The location is excellent, the hospitality is unbeatable. We were made very welcome from the time we arrived, and would recommend a stay here. Unbeatable value for money. Thank you Carla.

Room Tip: Top floor suite.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
carlton_dog, Owner at Edgcumbe Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Thank you for your kind words. Once again, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found everything to be in order. I work extremely hard to ensure guests enjoy their stay and am pleased that you, like the vast majority of guests, enjoy their stay at Edgcumbe Guest House. I hope I have the pleasure of accommodating you again.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I cannot believe that Carla's guest house is rated No.27!! She should be No.1.

Carla runs an extremely warm and friendly guest house in a great location - and her breakfasts are outstanding. We have been coming here every year for the fireworks and this year we have extended our stay because we always have such a good time here.

I can thoroughly recommend this guest house and hope that you give it a go - you will certainly not regret it.

We shall be back again and again......and again!

Keep up the good work, Carla.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 1 or Room 4 and you'll have a great view - on top of all the other attributes menti...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you Doug. I'm thrilled to hear how highly you rate Edgcumbe Guest House. I go to great lengths to strive to offer guests the best possible experience. Reviews like yours make me realise that my efforts are worthwhile! I look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have been staying at Edgcumbe Guest House since university and stay every time I am back in Devon as it holds so many happy memories. The location is unbeatable, right on the sea front (the front facing rooms; 1, 4 and the top flat I believe, have the best views across the Hoe and the sea front) being only a 15 minute walk in to the City Centre (lovely walk over the Plymouth Hoe) and 15 minutes walk to the must see Barbican (another scenic walk around the seafront).

The proprietor Carla always provides us with a warm welcome, the Guest House used to be her parents' so a real family business which adds to its charm.

We like to stay in Room 4 (one of the largest with huge windows overlooking the sea front and a large double shower in the en-suite) and in Room 7 (with the huge, comfortable four poster bed and spacious bathroom). Fluffy bathrobes and towels, good quality toiletries, high thread count clean linen, high-powered hair dryer, nice selection of tea & coffee, mineral water and biscuits are all provided.

The breakfast is a main event here! Such a selection; fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurts, juices, selection of preserves and teas and coffee. The Full English is a must, quality products cooked to order and to perfection which certainly sets you up for the day.

The rooms are always spotless with the cleaners servicing the rooms daily, replenishing all products.

Often at breakfast you will chat to fellow guests who have also been returning to Edgcumbe Guest House for years for the same reasons as myself; the welcome, the comfort, the location and that breakfast!

Room Tip: As mentioned the front facing rooms; 1, 4 and the top flat I believe, have the best views across the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmyWant

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm delighted to hear that you always enjoy your stays here. I look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future!