Caledonia Guest House
  • Pool
Ibis Plymouth(Plymouth)
$85
ibis
Future Inn Plymouth(Plymouth)(Great Value!)
$153
$150
$145
$71
Travelodge
All reviewsb bowners were extremely helpfulminute walk to townevery morningspotlessly clean roomfriendly couplereal bonusnice guesthousewonderful hostsfull english breakfastcar parknight stayplymouth hoebreakfast was excellenttwo nightssea frontfree parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at this guest house for a long weekend and 3 nights all in all it was very cosy and relaxing the breakfast was very good and it was a very clean property......But unfortunately on my last night there I was unable to gain access to the property it seemed the front door was locked on the inside which meant I could not gain access and luckily I have friends in Plymouth who let me sleep on there settee but I was now out of pocket of 10 pounds for 2 taxis 1 to get to my friends house at 1230am and 1 to return in the morning for my breakfast and when I told the landlord that I would like a refund 1 for not being able to sleep at the property that night and also the taxi fares he was not very interested in reimbursing me......So for that reason alone I would not stay there again.......Shame on you Caladonia guest house.......

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
David M, Owner at Caledonia Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

We would like to state that there is nothing wrong with our front door. We cannot lock the door from the inside.We mentioned to this guest on arriving in the morning that our night worker had gained access at 6a.m..The guest was verbally abusive and we guess due to his intoxicated state he was unable to put the key in the lock. The guest never even mentioned anything about a refund, we just apologised because there was nothing we could do.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed there for three nights. The place is very nice and clean, and feels very welcoming, and the owners were working hard to ensure everything was perfect.

Our room was large, and the bed was firm and comfortable. We didn't have any issue regarding noise coming from the outside: the neighbourhood was quiet, and the other guests weren't noisy at all.

The breakfast was nice, and as mentioned in their website: http://www.thecaledonia.co.uk/breakfast.html, there were plenty of options. I always went for the Full Breakfast, but my girlfriend tried some of the other options, finding them always delicious.

As for the location, the Guest House is about 15 minutes away from the train station if you go walking, and I would say that less than 5 minutes away from The Hoe and the historical centre in Plymouth.

We found quite handy that they had a number of leaflets for other businesses in the area: bike rental, ferries or Tea Gardens, and the owners were also available to answer our questions to the best of their knowledge.

They were also very kind, and let us keep our luggage in there after we checked out, since we had some spare hours until we took the train back home.

All in all, a very nice experience!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
David M, Owner at Caledonia Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

We were glad you enjoyed your stay and everything was to your liking. We also like to accommodate our guests with storing luggage while they get a later train/coach after check out. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was booked at the very last minute so i didn't have a great deal of choice for b&b's so imagine my delight when i arrived at the Caledonia to find a fab guest house run by a lovely couple who made me so very welcome when i arrived!. I had booked a single en-suite room but was upgraded free of charge to a double en-suite which was much appreciated!. The room was spotless and had everything i could want. The mattress was extremely comfortable and the bedding was crisp and white. I was in Plymouth visiting relatives and when we requested if their car could be parked in one of the Caledonia's parking spaces for a couple of hours there was no hesitation in them agreeing to this request.I had a five night stay at this lovely guest house which is in a perfect location for everything. Well done to you both you are doing a great job!!!.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and everything was fine in your room. Our FREE car park can be utilised by guests after check out providing it does not interfere with incoming guests.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. Location is excellent. The owners were extremely helpful, letting us have a key early due to our arrival being quicker than we thought. Breakfast was excellent in quantity and quality.The only down side was the noise level coming from adjacent rooms. On one side was a snoring gent and on the other was someone who did not know how to closer drawers or doors without slamming them! I know that was not the fault of the owners but does highlight how thin the walls were. The other downside was probably the size of the room. The term compact and bijoux springs to mind. Yes I do know it is a B & B but this was the smallest room I have had to use in an establishment such as this. Overall I would recommend The Caledonia to family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We can only apologise for other guests not being very considerate or thoughtful. Our rooms were designed size wise before we took over ownership but we will try and address if practical the sound proofing.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Caledonia is in a good location, very clean and professionally run with friendly hosts. Less than 5 minutes from the hoe, and in easy reach of the city attractions.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple