“Very pleasant stay”

The Grosvenor Plymouth
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

This is a very clean hotel close to the centre of Plymouth. This is Ideally placed for the theatre and Plymouth Hoe. Service was very friendly and efficient. Rooms are all en suite and well laid out if small. Breakfast was well presented and any request was dealt with quickly.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Cuill1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed February 11, 2014

After booking tickets at the nearby Plymouth Pavilions we set about looking for a hotel to stay that was within walking distance of the Pavilions and other areas and we couldn't have picked a better hotel. This hotel really does stand up to the great reviews it receives here.

The hotel is conveniently located between the city centre, the hoe and the barbican areas of Plymouth. As stated on the website there is a small amount of onsite parking which was easy for us to use but at the height of summer I can imagine that spaces will be less readily available. There is on street parking available but we did not have the need to use.

We booked for two nights and upon reaching the hotel were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who provided details of the local area including a map to assist in our explorations.
The rooms are spread over several floors and there is no lift unfortunately, we were on the top floor so we certainly got good exercise in climbing up and down the stairs each day.

Throughout the hotel was spotless, our room was well apportioned with a good size ensuite which included a bath. We certainly had more than enough room to swing a cat. The bed was comfortable and we got two great night’s sleep.

There is a small well stocked bar which we made use of on a few occasions. There is no full restaurant facility on site, however they take great lengths to inform guests that should you wish to eat at the hotel the encourage you to bring takeaways back for your own consumption in either the lounge or privacy of your own room. Breakfast is included in the room tariff and is not your standard buffet. Tea, coffee, cereals are available as required and once sat down a friendly member of staff comes along to take your breakfast order which seems to be any combination of cooked breakfast you could wish for. It arrived quickly, hot and delicious, especially the sausages!

Whilst we were here we experienced the most incredible wind, the likes of which I have never seen before and that was certainly an experience in itself! But the gem of the weekend was staying at such as pleasant hotel where you can clearly see that the owners and staff take such pride in providing a good service. The hotel is currently expanding into the building next door to provide additional rooms and facilities and is being done in such a way that the only disruption you would know about is the scaffolding outside. This can only be the start of bigger and better things to come for them. I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are slightly less agile ask for a room on a lower floor as there are no lifts.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

on arrival we were very disappointed to see the whole building was covered in scaffolding, but fortunately, the inside wasnt a disappointment. the room was much smaller than we had expected, but as we were only staying one night we werent too bothered until we found a mug that had been left unwashed and found the previous occupants socks in a drawer! my husband switched on the heater in the bathroom and got an electric shock from it, it blew an orange flame/spark across the bathroom and blew the fuses in the hotel, the owner came and profusely apologised and moved us to another room.....in that room the hairdryer was missing a switch and the kettle had a lid that was also broken, the owner assured us that he had just had the place PAT tested. i personally would have asked for the place to be checked again after that happened. he offered us drinks from the bar and said we werent to be charged for our stay or for any drinks we had. the only thing that vexed me about this whole episode, the owner seemed to think that the free stay was the answer. he called me only after i called him to demand some answers, but he seemed to be at a loss as to what to do next. he seems to trust his staff too much and as its his hotel hes the one were the buck stops, my husband could have been seriously injured or worse and i feel we were brushed off with feeble excuses and lame answers, so be aware of your surroundings if youre staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank justustwo1965
Paul B, Owner at The Grosvenor Plymouth, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
In light of numerous communications between us via phone and email I am obviously disappointed to read your review.

Your review is a prime example of why hoteliers, B&B and guesthouse owners get frustrated by this site. I am all for constructive criticism, but time and time again negative reviews omit crucial information and subsequently become exaggerated to make for a better read – and we are left with reputations tarnished.

Ok, the facts of your stay. I will totally acknowledge that a couple of uncharacteristic cleaning mistakes let us down. An unchecked drawer which contained a sock, and a cup that was washed, but not thoroughly enough as a feint ring remained. Then during the evening as you prepared for your evening out the fan heater in your room blew a fuse. At the time it blew it was working perfectly fine – it had to have been to have actually blown. To receive an electric shock your husband would have to be in contact with the elements of the unit as the string pull cord is non conductive. Am not suggesting this didn’t happen but in all our communication this is unusually the first mention of this serious incident?

After the fuse blew I was with you both in your room within minutes. I couldn’t have been more apologetic about the heater and was highly embarrassed that we had let ourselves down regarding the cleaning - all of which I took full responsibility for. We chatted for about 20 minutes, I offered to help find you alternative accommodation, or to move you to another room. You chose the latter. As a gesture of goodwill I also waived all costs at the hotel of both your accommodation and gave you both a free bar. You were very accepting of this and took full advantage later that evening. We left on very good terms even including a laugh and a joke when I lightheartedly suggested it was like an episode of Faulty Towers. In the morning I specifically phoned the hotel to make sure that our General Manager Jo checked everything was fine when you left the hotel. She told me later that day that all was well and you had even mentioned about returning.

Now it is inevitable that mistakes will happen from time to time, but I genuinely felt that when you checked out we couldn’t have done anymore to hopefully rectify the situation - and you certainly gave us the impression that we had. It wasn’t ‘the answer’ to give you a free stay, it was just a polite gesture as our way of saying sorry for a substandard visit.

For the record, straight after the incident all power was removed to the unit and the following day it was removed by a qualified electrician. At this point I presumed the issue to be closed.

3 days later you rang me to ask what was happening with the situation - it was like we’d never spoken about it before? I explained that we’d had the unit removed and with no request for further information had presumed the matter to be closed. It was now you mentioned that the lid on your kettle didn’t flip up and that hairdryer heat switch was missing. Both items were working fine, but they should have been picked up. Mentioning them at the time would have seemed the obvious thing to do where they could have been exchanged for new in seconds. You then proceeded to suggest to me that I train to become PAT tested and do the electrical checks myself rather than use a professional company (think we’ll agree to disagree on that one) and then informed me that you would be going to Health & Safety about the hotel and that you wanted an incident report sent to you regarding the heater.

So without hesitation I paid for an independent electrician, who wrote a report on the condition of the unit and also confirmed to me that the unit would have to have been working in order for the fuse to have blown, indicating that there wasn’t anything we could have done to prevent this. I forwarded this report and have not heard from you since, until now, via the review.

Apologies to those who are still reading this long response! I just wanted people to make there own conclusions from this review. We really do care about our guests and that they have a good experience. We did let ourselves down with a few incidents here, but I genuinely feel that we dealt with it in a generous and professional way. To suggest I brushed the guests off with feeble excuses and lame answers is a complete untruth. There were no excuses, I took it all on the chin - as I should. I did and always will take full responsibility for all mistakes that occur in the hotel and that is something that will never change for as long as I own it.

Paul Bennett - Owner
Barnstaple, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Friendly helpful staff - happy for our son a UNI student to join us for breakfast for a extra charge which was reasonable
Comfy bed - good sized room
Small bathroom
Good location walking distance to city centre , cinema , theatre and hoe

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Clare M
South West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Was trying to find a bargain in Plymouth for a few nights (so it serves me right) and found this hotel. It looked lovely on the internet and I'm usually really good at weeding out photoshopped pics but wow - they get 10/10 for building a great website! It's a bit like a really nice hostel with an open plan reception/tiny bar with wine served by the miniature bottle ... you get the picture. The room was small and the en-suite tiny (if you were on the toilet you could've cleaned your teeth at the same time) with no extras like water and a volume restricted tiny TV.
If you just need a bed and don't like spending ANY time in the room it would be acceptable for one night. Youngsters (under 20) would enjoy it more.

Room Tip: Genuinely, none of them. None have views, they're all gloomy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SouthWestLizzie
Kidwelly, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I'm just back from the weekend staying here. On arrival we were greeted by friendly welcoming staff. We were shown to our room and were amazed. It was bigger than we expected and spotlessly clean. Beds were comfortable and there was plenty of extra bed clothes if needed. Breakfast was plentiful and fresh. Again staff were very helpful and nothing was too much bother. I would stay here again and again. Bar prices were cheaper than in the city. The location is brilliant with a 2 min walk up to the Hoe. This is a fantastic hotel and would recommend staying here over and over.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
truro
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This is just as another Trip Advisor member describes it 'A Gem on the Hoe". You can't fault this hotel. Friendly, welcoming staff, spotless rooms and an amazing breakfast. I have stayed here several times now and once even brought a group of 20 with me on one occasion. All of them enjoyed the experience and raved about the service and facilities provided - for such a great price. I need somewhere to impress them and this did the job. The location is superb - a ten minute walk to everything. It's great for families and boasts a fantastic family suite with plenty of room for all. From what I have read in the local newspaper, it seems to be going from strength to strength, winner of best Hotel 2013 - great to see a local south west business thriving - well deserved as you can tell that the staff all work hard for it. Congratulations to you all and I look forward to visiting again soon.

Room Tip: If you have a baby or children, like we do, the family suite is fantastic…...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family