All reviews the penthouse holiday inn the marco pierre white restaurant the club lounge top floor executive room car park shower screen chocolate bar larger car reception bar massive room tiny bathroom sauna and steam room duty manager pleasant hotel good size
Selected filters
Reviewed November 24, 2017 via mobile

Arrived at Crown Plaza to check in today, I soon noticed the difference in the way me and my partner were spoken to and aided in contrast to other customers. My partner signed a form and we had a room card thrust in our direction without any introduction or assistance given. The staff members we spoke to seemed completely unapproachable, unless of course they were down wind of the smell of your cash.

Got to our room, which can best be described as a well painted premier Inn room with a fancy floor light and a dated tiny/basic/tired bathroom. Quilt covers were put on inside out, glasses in the bathroom were filthy, towel rail was bent and loose to the wall, badly fitted trim everywhere, water and streak marks on mirrors and windows, extractor fan didn't work, dust on most surfaces. Went down to reception to ask how best to pay for room service, felt strongly that I was spoken down to.

Room service arrived, we had steak frites and Goan curry with beer battered onion rings. Cost was £37.50 inc £6 tray service, food was ok but not great.

We spent £190 odd on two nights, I'm sure it's lovely once you spent 2/3x as much, otherwise it just isn't worth it. Stick to a travel lodge if you're on a budget, don't pay for Crown Plazas name. In true British spirit, I'd go downstairs and complain if i didn't have to deal with the staff again. Hopefully housekeeping may clean our room properly before tomorrow night.

3  Thank davidbF2828WS
operations763, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2017

Dear David B,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Plymouth, a recent addition to the Crowne Plaza family and winner of Best Accommodation at the Plymouth City & Waterfront Awards 2017 which was held in October.

It is important that our guests provide feedback on their time with us, highlighting areas in which we excel and those which require attention, allowing us to review and refine our services to ultimately exceed expectations at all times.

I am disappointed to read your stay was not as you would have expected and contrary to many of our guests experiences. I would ask that you contact a member of our team prior to departure to discuss your concerns to allow us investigate and rectify whilst you are still our guest.

Reviewed November 24, 2017

As others observe, the hotel has undergone a major refurbishment following its transformation to a Crowne Plaza. Although modernisation was overdue, not all is for the better. The traditional Holiday Inn model of 2 double beds to each room has largely gone and as far as I can see some rooms have become much smaller. Our first room was a family room which was enormous but had only one armchair. However the bathroom was tiny. The door was like a kissing gate and you couldn’t get 2 people in at the same time. When I voiced my concerns the hotel did upgrade me to an executive room without charge (for which I was grateful) and which had a walk-in shower but was still not generous in size. Unfortunately the room did not have a single drawer. Apart from a wardrobe with a shelf over the hanging space, there was nowhere to put one’s clothes; alright for a one night stay but hopeless for longer. There were no hooks on the main door or in the bathroom and just one 24 inch towel rail to hang 4 towels. The wash basin is the modern shallow sloping type which is like shaving in a birdbath. There were plenty of lights in the room except for the compartment which housed the tea and coffee-making facilities and the mini-bar which was in almost complete darkness. As I have frequently commented, don’t people who design hotels ever stay in them?
The dining room on the penthouse floor has undergone a complete turnaround. What used to be the breakfast area facing the Hoe and Plymouth Sound is now the bar. Breakfast and dinner is at the side of the hotel and the lovely view is no more. I understand this makes it more attractive as an evening venue as it is now a Marco-Pierre White but to me it is a great pity. Breakfast is much as it always was but you can now squeeze your own orange juice. You can also order individually cooked items such as eggs, haddock and kippers. Memo for chefs: apple and melon alone do not constitute a fruit salad.
However it would be churlish to end this review without a tribute to the staff, many of whom remain from the old Holiday Inn. A special mention for Sharon in the breakfast room who puts the super into supervisor. They are not responsible for any of the shortcomings I have identified.

3  Thank Archbolder

Dear Archbolder,

I note your various comments regarding the refurbishment and acknowledge changes are not always to everyone's persona taste, though we continually review comments from our guests and make changes where required.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed November 24, 2017

Pleasant hotel, good seating area, breakfast in penthouse with great views over Plymouth hoe. Room in need of refurbishment bathroom completely worn out. Gym good. Parking £5/day. Close to city centre. Plymouth has lots of open spaces. We enjoyed our visit. Would go again.

Room tip: third floor was okay

Dear F J,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stays with us at the Crowne Plaza Plymouth, a recent addition to the Crowne Plaza family and winner of Best Accommodation at the Plymouth City & Waterfront Awards 2017 which was held in October.

I am delighted to read you found your time with us overall to be pleasant with our views over the Hoe being a highlight in addition to our breakfast offering. I note you comments regarding the room requiring a refurb and would be grateful if you could provide further details as the hotel was completely refurbished in the first half of the year prior to conversion to converting to a Crowne Plaza, though some works are ongoing in our bathrooms.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back on future visits to the area.

Reviewed November 23, 2017

my experience left me embarrassed and unsure what to do.
I asked her to take my order but she refused :stated she was too busy!

surely the whole point of a hotel bar is service , I left the hotel, humiliated and my confidence of being in an hotel as a female on my own diminished.
This is not the way to encourage customers. It is difficult enough to be on your own without this type of servitude

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank alanparr37

Dear alanparr37,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent visit to our Drakes Restaurant and Bar at the Crowne Plaza Plymouth, a recent addition to the Crowne Plaza family and winner of Best Accommodation at the Plymouth City & Waterfront Awards 2017 which was held in October.

I am disappointed to read you found your experience to be below your expectations and ours. I would be grateful to understand further detail regarding this incident if you could provide these direct to me on the information below to ensure I can investigate the matter appropriately.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Reviewed November 22, 2017

Very Clean and comfortable, wonderful ambience and the staff were amazingly friendly and helpful.

The Penthouse bar has fantastic views and lovely cocktails! We stayed twice once on the way to France and once on the way back.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
operations763, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2017

Dear suszannahs,

I am delighted to read you found your time with us to be so pleasant with many highlights including our cleanliness, friendly team and our Marco Pierre White bar.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back on future visits to the area.