“Ok place to stay - depends on your room” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Plymouth

Holiday Inn Plymouth
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
chch nz
“Ok place to stay - depends on your room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed two nights here. Hotel reception is bright and breezy and welcoming. I had booked and paid through an online travel company so they were expecting me.
Room was large especially compared to London but no fridge? and coffee/tea was on a side table under the window... The lack of a fridge was the strange bit. I looked every where for it. oh well.... Bathroom was clean and tidy but a bit dated.

A pleasant stay. Restaurant was great with wonderful, chatty staff. Good food.
Would I stay again?? Probably but I'll ask for a room with a fridge first

Room Tip: Check on the fridge
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear nzmikey,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel now several times, and would always choose to stay here when in Plymouth. Our rooms were upgraded on arrival (because IHG member), and we have great views over the city and Hoe. The pool had been upgraded since our last visit and was excellent, although the times are restricted for children. Our rooms were clean and well presented and the beds very comfortable. The dining room was on the top floor and as such you can eat with fantastic views over the Hoe. The dinner on our first night was very good and the buffet breakfast was very tasty, plenty of choice and hot. My only criticism (very minor) was the breakfast menu still offered pancakes which is an all time favourite for us, we asked for them and were told they had not been available for 2 years. Fair enough, but perhaps change the menu. All the staff were very friendly as I have come to expect with this hotel. Will definitely come again when in Plymouth.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, and overlooking the hoe for the best views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gm_hiplymouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time & trouble to write a review of your experiences at the Holiday Inn Plymouth on this occasion

I was pleased to read you have already joined the IHG Rewards Club & would recommend all our guests take advantage of this fantastic loyalty program

I was also delighted to read your positive comments regarding the hotel & especially the team, and will ensure your feed back is shared. I can also confirm pancakes will indeed be back on the menu shortly!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future

Kind regards

Phil Roberts
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

High Quality hotel, great rooms, view from restaurant amazing. Both the breakfast and dinner were good quality and reasonably priced.
Staff friendly and helpful. Two minutes from the Hoe and 10 minutes walk from either the Centre or the Barbican.
We will definitely stay again.
Downside: indoor car park is minuscule, better binging your mini than your roller! Carpark 3 gbp a day and charge for wifi. Apart from that, we had a great weekend

Room Tip: Ground floor apparently noisy at weekends. Go for an upper floor with a view over the Hoe or Barbica...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed here overnight for an event we were attending in Plymouth. Room was huge (2 double beds) with a view towards The Hoe (but sadly also over the aircon units outside - slightly noisy but not a major problem.). Arrived late, but bar was still open and serving food. Breakfast in the top floor restaurant gave us views over the sea and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed for one night and found the hotel to be okay, it seemed tired and in need on some TLC, but it was clean and functional. The location was excellent with Plymouth's delights being a short walk away. I don't think I'd return for a romantic break but it was okay for business

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
West Sussex, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

The way I see it, if you are in Plymouth then there are two reasons to choose to stay at the Holiday Inn: The first (and most eminently sensible one) is the hotel’s proximity to the Barbican, with its wide variety of pubs, bars, restaurants and other methods of distraction all equally useful to the holiday maker and, in my case, weary business traveller. Of these various forms of entertainment I’ll commend three in particular to you: The Dolphin, a decent old-fashioned, no-frills pub keeps an excellent cellar; the Refectory Bar at the Plymouth Gin Distillery provides an extensive selection of cocktails in mellow yet elegant surroundings (and is informal enough not to be intimidating to a cocktail bar virgin such as myself); the Eastern Eye Indian restaurant was noteworthy enough for me to write a separate review and provides some wonderful food.

The second reason for staying at the Holiday Inn is nostalgia: If you want to remind yourself what hotels were like back in the 1980s then do stay here...

The building itself is a tower block overlooking (some might say dominating) the Hoe, built in an architectural style harking back to a time when town planners seemed intent on ruining Plymouth, finishing the job, if you will, started by the Luftwaffe back in the nineteen-forties. There is a small car park in the basement of the building, with tiny parking bays and incredibly tight corners, the navigation of which was a challenge in the Mondeo estate that my colleagues and I had brought with us.

It’s once you get to reception that you start to encounter the Crossroads Motel-style decor that seems to be Holiday Inn’s “house-style”. I don’t even know if that is a real expression, but the bland interior was soporific rather than welcoming...

To be fair, there isn’t actually anything wrong with the Holiday Inn – it is generally clean (the notable exception being the long dark strand of hair on the desk in my room which I know absolutely nothing of the provenance of if Mrs Cheapbutdemanding happens to be reading this...) even if it is old fashioned.

So how does this “old-stylee” manifest itself? Again, no idea if “old-stylee” is a real saying; I’m just free-styling here (I really am just babbling now, perhaps better for you to move on to a more sensible review). In my room on the sixth floor the most ready example is all the beige that is in evidence in the decor. The Artex-stippled ceilings are an interesting sojourn back to the seventies and I was simply stunned to find that Wi-Fi is a chargeable extra. I’ve been lucky enough to stay in three star hotels in far less-developed nations where wireless internet is standard, so to find it is not so in the South West of England stretches credibility somewhat. The bathroom was a bit on the petite side and painted surfaces were thick with coat after coat of emulsion. Perhaps it is time for a bit of proper renovation and to get all this stuff stripped out and replaced with fresh material. Age basically hung very heavily on the room.

There was a nod to the Twenty-First Century with a choice of hard or soft pillows (neither of which I liked and opted for the thin pillow underneath, but that is more my problem than the hotel’s) and a reasonably sized flat-screen telly. I had a good book on the go and didn’t really bother with TV (Steven King’s masterpiece Under the Dome if you’re interested), but did a quick audit of the channels for the sake of a complete review and noted that there were all the freeview regulars. Parents of teenage boys and wives of middle-aged men will be relieved to learn that there are no “adult” channel,s meaning that masturbation enthusiasts will need to make alternative arrangements during their stay...

A late night in the Eastern Eye resulted in me waking at seven (ish), conducting my bleary-eyed ablutions and making my way up to the twelfth floor to see how breakfast looked. The restaurant itself does boast a potentially handsome view, looking out to the south on the Western Approaches of the English Channel and out on to Dartmoor in the east. Unfortunately, on the morning of my visit, all was gloomy and wet, but one wonders as to how glorious this must be on a cheerful spring morning.

I will try and avoid my usual tirade on the evils of the invariably erroneously named hot breakfast – the lukewarm array of overcooked fried eggs, the soggy bacon, the cheap nasty sausages... the list of offences against all that is good and decent about British cooking just goes on and on. The hot buffet spread at the Holiday Inn looked no better or worse than any other example you might see in a British hotel, and I was still sufficiently sustained by the previous night’s dinner to need no more than some muesli, yoghurt and a couple of slices of toast.

So, to summarise: The Plymouth Holiday Inn is actually okay, although an awful lot of effort must go into trying to maintain a silk-purse-like appearance on the sow’s ear of the aging infrastructure of the hotel. You’ll be comfortable enough but the place completely lacks any sort of wow-factor. As a place to sleep after a night in the Barbican though, it does tick all the required boxes.

Thank you for your attention. That is all. Please carry on.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Cheapbutdemanding,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Ben J
Gillingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

As a member of the IHG group club (recently joined), I booked this hotel for one night on business. I have previously stayed in the nearby Quality Inn.

The hotel is situated near the hoe, so if you are lucky enough to get a room overlooking this (I was not), then I am sure it is a lovely view. The hoe is visible from the restaurant/bar situated by the penthouse.

Check in was smooth. I drove my car into the underground car park and made my way to reception. The staff are friendly and helpful. However, on check-in, despite paying £89 for a double room, it transpires that breakfast was an additional (reduced rate) of £10. In addition, I had to pay £10 for internet (which I needed to for work), and £3 for parking (which it does say on their website). So, the bill at this point was already £102.

The hotel is clean, but a little dated. My room was nice enough, but nothing amazing. In addition to the above, I ate/drank in the restaurant, having the rump steak (which was very good), onion rings (extra), a large glass of house white and three pints of Stella. My total bill came to £150.55 (which I think was quite expensive). I stayed in the Holiday Inn in Newport the week before, and used the bar more, and the bill came out much cheaper.

I ate breakfast before I checked-out. It is a buffet style. The selection was good, although I found some of the items in my full english to be tepid. Other than that, it was enjoyable.

Positives
Sea front location (probably what you're paying for)
Restaurant - The Steak was very good, and so was the service.
Underground Parking (it was raining).
Staff - all polite, helpful and friendly.

Negatives
Price - expensive compared to some more modern Holiday Inn's.
Chargeable wi-fi
Chargeable parking.
Underground car park is very tight in terms of getting out of spaces.

Would I stay here again? Possibly, but I would probably consider other hotels first.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear CathyM_and_IanJ,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member. We appreciate your loyalty and your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. We are delighted to read your kind comments regarding our location, restaurant and our staff. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret you found our accommodation rates a bit steep. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have shared your comments with our management team for review.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Joel B