“Great position and decent hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Plymouth

Holiday Inn Plymouth
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Huddersfield
“Great position and decent hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Just stayed here for two nights this weekend and was generally impressed. Nice spacious bedrooms but the bathroom hadn't been cleaned properly as the bath had several long black hairs in it which we had to clean prior to use. Breakfasts are good although buffet style which I generally don't like. Overall decent value but watch out for the hotel car parking charge which we were not informed of on arrival.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Jim W,

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I used the Holiday Inn Plymouth for a stopover between ferry and train last week. I chose this hotel after a very disappointing stay at the Copthorn, my usual choice in Plymouth. Well, I certainly was not disappointed this time. I treated myself to an executive room (advance booking £88). It was located on the 8th floor, with fantastic sea view over Plymouth Sound. The room was large and comfortable. The furniture was a bit “old school” and did not match the rest of the room, but bed and sofa were very good, and the TV set of very good size and thank God not attached high on the wall! TV choices were fine though I would have liked a better choice of International channels (I do like my TV Monde). The air-conditioning unit was an interesting one! Very old fashion, separate unit rather than integrated, and noisy as hell! This really needs updating, because I can imagine it unusable in the summer because of the noise.
I had dinner as room service. Service was excellent, the food fine, but what is that new trend of not offering starters on room service menus? The choice of sides dishes was rather small too, and no simple salad on offer.
I also chose to have breakfast as room service, delivered spot on the required time! Well done! But the offering was rather poor for £14. You cannot choose your type of eggs (scrambled only), and only with bacon, sausages (poor/low cost option!). No tomato, hash brown. I had asked for croissant, and got 3 small one, the cheese was grated cheap stuff… Overall, not very good value.
Will I stay again? Probably as this was a much nicer hotel than the other offerings in Plymouth.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank leolon
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

We always stay at the Holiday Inn in Plymouth when visiting our son and are always very pleased. Very comfortable rooms, great location, great breakfast with wonderful views and a good gym! Also, very helpful reception staff. Looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

First of all before getting into my review of the most recent stay I would like to apologise to the hotel as I have stayed here nuymerous (at least 20-25 times) over the last few years on business and have not left positive reviews despite having had a few enjoyable stays. On previous occasions I have been welcomed on arrival with registration form pre-printed with my name and address pre-printed, and with IHG reward number on with points registered, and generally a nicer room for being a IHG guest. On the last 2 occasions however was told that as the system had changed this was no longer possible and in any case as the bill was going back to my company I wouldnt qualify anyway. When I explained that this has always happened previously (hence why I have thousands of points) the reply I received was "ah well" and that was that! Rooms nice enough and clean as always. Breakfast was very disapponting, took a few minutes to explain that I didnt need a breakfast voucher, hash browns were squashed mush and no others came out), eggs were heard, beans were tepid at best, the bowls of jam (sure they used to be individual pots) had allsorts of crumbs and bits of butter in. Over-eager staff determined to take your plates away before finishing was quite annoying also. Shame about last couple of visits as always found this hotel to be really good and location is fab. Would like to mention Darren behing reception, great lad really friendly yet professional and also the 2 lads behind the sports bar, great banter with them. Will I visit again ? Hmm not sure but for the first time in 3 years I will consider other options where previously selecting this hotel was automatic

1 Thank BIGGINS1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear BIGGINS1,

I appreciate that you took the time to review our property and thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Member. It is pleasing to know that you found the room you were given to be modern. However, I regret that your breakfast experience was not up to par. We will work on improving this and appreciate your comments as this is our best means of doing so.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon and make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G
Dorchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn for two nights covering a big family funeral in Plymouth. From the moment of our arrival up to check-out, I was given nothing short of exceptional attention. The courteous staff, excellent food and room comfort all combined to make for a memorable stay. I rarely have the need to stay in UK hotels, but this week's experience has broken the "spell"

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-view - the views, however high up you are, are exceptional
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Bristol UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed here before, nice position, as a Platinum Elite Member I was upgraded without asking by a very efficient receptionist. Exec room on 8th floor overlooking the Hoe. Free Chocs, water and biscuits too! Didn't eat in the restaurant for dinner. Breakfast was good, usual HI buffet although I do think they could have a look at their bacon and sausages, not as good as some HI's quality-wise. Overall though a nice Hotel. However, when I checked out and paid for my newspaper (again some CP's/HI's don't charge if you're Platinum) I was charged 5p on top of the actual newspaper cost. Now this is a particular bugbear of mine. It really does annoy me, it's not the actual cost - 5p - but the principle. Why do some Hotels do this? Petty and unnecessary. Management, if you are reading this review scrap this now.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Hoe and the higher up the better
Gosport, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Have known about this hotel for years having been based here in thee 70's. Fabulous location but seems to be populated by the noisiest guests who love banging doors until the early hours and have no consideration for other guests. Should not have to put up with this for the money paid to stay here. Also not that happy with having to pay for the wifi when most hotels have it as complimentary. If it wasn't for the noisy guests then this hotel would still have scored 5 stars but I am regretting staying here and wishing I stayed at another hotel somebody recommended.

Room Tip: If you don't like being kept awake at night by other guests don't stay here
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Mark G,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I am happy to read you found our location convenient. However, we understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the level of noise encountered and hotel policy less than satisfactory. We have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Again, we appreciate your valuable feedback.

Zelyn N