“I love it here!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“I love it here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've only stayed here twice, and whilst everything could be updated, it is all fine (just see to the grouting in the bathroom please?). The main thing is the staff are great, really helpful and friendly, and it has everything I need to work. Most hotels rooms are really small and the space in these is just right, including the bathroom, which isn't wedged in some corner you have to squeeze into. The location is brilliant and the pool and sauna very welcome after a long day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gm_hiplymouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your very positive review. We always aim to provide our guests with a great experience in a friendly and welcoming environment and your kind comments are greatly appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Plymouth.

George Arizmendi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Standing on Plymouth hoe with easy access on foot to the bars and restaurants of the barbican and also a quick walk to the main shopping drag and new Drake Circus shopping mall, the location could not be better. The car park is a bit of a challenge to negotiate. The rooms are a little tired and in need of a good clean. We were on 3 nights paying with rewards so were given a ground floor room, not too happy as the views from the higher floors are great, but what can you do? It was at least quiet. Air con is really just an air blower, no cooling effect at all. Bed not brilliant.

Room Tip: As high as possible and facing the sea
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gm_hiplymouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review. Whilst I was pleased to read your comments regarding the ideal location of our hotel, I was sorry to read that we did not deliver an experience commensurate with your expectations. Please accept my apologies for this. We have a planned maintenance programme in progress that will address the issues you have identified. I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family and I have stayed in this hotel every year for the last 6 years on our way to Cornwall for our holiday. I agree the hotel is dated in areas and could do with a make over but our stay has always been enjoyable. the location is superb, the family rooms we have are suitable for purpose, the views from the restaurant are superb and me and my family had never had any complaint about the food. We holiday in Cornwall every year and we will be back at this hotel next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank andrew d
gm_hiplymouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review and for your kind comments.

I am delighted that you have chosen to stay with us on your way to Cornwall for the last 6 years and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Buckfastleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I have only ever visted to use t gym and pool which as far as hotels go,this one is a nice size! It has a basic gym with free weights and some machines, a cardio area and a good size pool which looks onto Plymouth Hoe. T sauna and steam room have always been functional and the changing rooms are also clean and well looked after. There is a small decked area which is great in nice weather although t space could probably be utilised more effectively! Would be nice to see a bar there in t summer! As a non member I pay a reasonable £10 to use t facilities, towels are 50p. Staff are normally friendly and I've not encountered any problems. Centrally located and nice views.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review and your positive comments regarding our Leisure Club facilities. I will certainly pass them on to the Team.

Vaasa, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was traveling for business and had been booked in a family room by mistake. The hotel was fully booked so there was no way of switching to a standard room. The room was located right across the elevator and right above the parking garage, not the quietest location for a room but that probably rarely is the case with a family room. The first thing I saw when I walked in was a bunk bed, something I've only seen in hostels. Luckily enough the spacious room also contained a standard queen bed (and a crib). The flush on my toilet didn't really work, so if I would have been staying for longer than one night, I would have had a big issue with this. Wifi isn't included, something I was not expecting. The location however was splendid, it is right at the sea and only a short walk to all the restaurants at the harbour. The restaurant is in the penthouse of the hotel so it has a beautiful view (or so I've been told, it was rather foggy when I was visiting) and the breakfast is a proper English one, including (blood) pudding and all!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your review.
Please accept my apologies for the error in your bedroom allocation and the fact that we could not move you as we were fully booked. I have discussed this with our Reservations Team to ensure that it does not occur again. I have also asked our Maintenance Team to address the issue with the toilet flush.
I was pleased to read that you found the location excellent. It is unfortunate that during your stay the fog prevented you from enjoying the view from the Penthouse floor, it is great when the weather is clear. Thank you also for your comments regarding our breakfast standards.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Plymouth.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The main virtue of this hotel is its outstanding location and ease of accessing all the key tourist haunts of Plymouth. The executive room we had was spacious with fabulous views but the furniture was grubby and tatty. The bathroom was fine. The air conditioning worked but was so noisy that sleep was impossible with it on. Even when it was off you could still hear other units adjacent. Room cleaning was adequate but clearly with so many coach parties the staff were overstretched.

Breakfast was well run and much improved on my last stay. Despite large numbers there was very little waiting and the staff worked very hard to clear and provide tea and coffee quickly. The evening meals were normal Holiday Inn prices which means you could eat out in very high quality places such as the new Gary Rhodes restaurant or the River Cottage Canteen for the same prices.

The leisure facilities were well maintained, clean and the pool a reasonable temperature. Please note there is not always someone on duty so families need to be aware of this.

Reception were efficient but the male managers outside of the restaurant were very poor in their treatment of guests. Certainly not Holiday Inn standards. No welcome when you came in through reception and no good mornings etc when they passed you by. In contrast the lady staff were always full of smiles and a greeting. Indeed the cleaning staff were more engaging than some of the male duty managers. The location of the hotel is great for holidays ,business and pre and post ferry travel. Understandably a lot of coach companies use it so it ought to be a flagship holiday Inn but sadly it is jaded with jaded management that makes this the poorest Holiday Inn I have stayed in this year both in this country and abroad.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Mikem28,

Thank you for your candid review. We are delighted to read you enjoyed our location. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

stayed here whilst visiting family so only really slept here, well tried to, beds not very comfortable and there was building work going on outside at 8am on a Saturday and Sunday morning. I know this is not the hotels fault however they must have known about it as it looked like it had been going on a while and we should have been told.
car park was ridiculously small, with no room to actually move around it.
few staff I did meet were friendly

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear daftbat1987,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Your comments about the beds have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Janice A