“Where do the locals go for Ice Cream”

Prete's Ice Cream Parlour and Cafe
Cuisines: British
Reviewed September 10, 2012

If you’re visiting Plymouth try Prete’s on the Barbican, if you want the ponced up ice cream, there is a shop across the road, but if you want to know were the locals go then go to Prete’s on the Barbican. My parents took me and my sister there when I was a kids, I have taken my kids there, now in my 50’s when we see the grandchildren we take them there as well. I always have wafer & cream, the proper clotted cream stuff that Devon is known for, not out of a can, ok it looks old, but look to see people queuing on the side of the window. Papa Prete’s who use to be there when we were kids has now gone, but the family business is run now by his son.

21  Thank Wobbs

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I can't believe what I have just read by the last reviewer.
I bought an ice cream here about a month ago and binned it with in two licks. it's watery weak flavoured and the service is poor, I cracked a joke and got scowled at, "charming" I thought. I went over the road and got an ice cream from them, it was good and they have a 4 (Good) rating from the food standards agency
You can go on line now and locate every establishment and find out what each one has. I was rather shocked that Prete's only has a 1 ( significant improvement needed). some say this place is a real piece of the 60's, a Barbican Classic etc well that is so last century along with the food standards it seems !!!!!!!

2  Thank timbermam
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Well established and heavily used small cafe with an ice cream counter window on the side serving a steady stream of locals and tourists with simple tasty ice cream. No gimmicks or fancy flavours or presentation. Simply the real thing. Love it.

22  Thank Cr0wM
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We prefer it without. Great stuff. Nothing fancy. Too often there's a bit of a queue at the side window. All generations like it. Once even went in for a mug of tea and toast.

21  Thank Fran L
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Took the kids after fish and chips thoroughly enjoyed the ice cream

27  Thank Elizabeth L