“Clean and Comfortable Hotel”

Copthorne Hotel Plymouth
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I was a bit worried having booked this hotel as it had some pretty awful reviews which i did not read till after I had booked. However, I am glad I did not read them first or I might not have booked and would have missed out on a lovely 4 night treat. The bed was very comfortable with extra pillows if needed. Large flat screen TV. Room and especially the bathroom were absolutely spotless with a bath as well as a good working shower. Curtains fitted properly so shutting out the light in the mornings. Service was also very good with polite, helpful staff. The railway station is just 5 minutes walk and a further 5 minutes takes you into the heart of Plymouth. I would thoroughly recommend a stay here. Sadly, I left my umbrella - probably becaue it was tucked into a corner of the room as I had no need to use it!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
2  Thank Jan T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stayed here July 16-19, 2014, just as the city was preparing for the Commonwealth games. The location next to the train station, games ticket office, and university, was fabulous. Our room was small on a hallway that was being recarpeted. There was a carpet glue smell throughout our stay. No air-conditioning which I guess is normally OK in Glasgow, but it was VERY hot while we were there. The window opened but the street noise was loud. Toilet was difficult to flush. The bed and pillows were comfortable. There was no in-room safe, although I read online that the rooms had safes. The breakfast and other restaurant meals were at best uneven. The bathroom was clean except for the window curtains which were very gray and dingy. No free wifi.

Room Tip: We were in room 102 which was on the quiet side of the hotel away from the train station. Still, a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Not much I need to add to the previous comments on this hotel. Staff good and very good location (between railway and city centre) but definitely not a 4 star establishment, rooms and premises comparable to an old Travelodge. No problems with breakfast, but car park is overpriced, £7.50 a night.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Robin C
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed 5 nights. I paid up front or I would have left after 2 nights. The hotel is tired looking and unwelcoming. The decor is very dated. Just a bit naff really. The reception staff were really good - helpful, efficient and friendly. Our room was ok but a bit gloomy. The very worst aspect of the stay was the breakfasts. They were so dreadful that it was almost funny. We began to look forward to going down to breakfast to see if it could be any worse than the day before. It usually was. Of the five mornings we had breakfast only one time did our table have a full setting. We had cutlery missing, cups missing, milk missing. We were entirely forgotten about one morning when no one took our order on the day when breakfast was not a buffet. Then there was the buffet - there was always something missing which arrived eventually when the rest of the food was cold. The eggs weren't cooked - virtually raw. One morning I asked for 2 poached eggs. When they arrived one was like a plastic frisbee - completely hard. I cut into the other and it exploded in a shower of water and uncooked egg. What was amazing was that we had an evening meal in the restaurant on our first night and the choices and quality of the food was excellent so clearly someone employed there could cook really well. All in all, I'd stay somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GraemeHind
CopthornePlymouth_UK, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Mr Hind,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here at the Copthorne Hotel in Plymouth. Whilst it is never good to hear negative feedback, it is most valued as we use these comments as a tool towards improving our service standards across the hotel.

Your comments regarding the breakfast experience for your stay are most concerning and this is something I will be addressing with the team. We aim to provide an efficient, friendly service at all times, in all areas and I can appreciate that you felt this was not the case during your stay.

The hotel has taken some measures to improve the breakfast service and offerings and hope to see benefits very soon.

You will see from previous responses that the hotel is due an injection of capital in order to improve the product and this has already started with new carpets, curtains and televisions in bedrooms. These improvements will continue in to 2015.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the Front office staff, I will ensure these are also passed on.

I do hope you decide to return to the Copthorne hotel in future so that we may restore your faith in us.

Kind regards,

Michael Wood

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Quite a drab looking building but situated well in the immediate City Centre. Very convenient for all the amenities of theatre, cinema, bars and major stores etc., £136.00 for a double without breakfast was quite expensive for an establishment without any great attraction. The bedroom & bathroom were clean as one would expect. No views to be had other than multi storey car parks. Car parking is an extra charge. At this room rate you could find somewhere less expensive and more appealing.

Room Tip: Room 119 was an upgrade superior. The standard rooms may not be too excitable.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Only stayed here because it was the last room available in town. No atmosphere and dated rooms, that were not properly cleaned, finding sweet wrappers and hairgrips under the bed. There was no lift to the car-park which meant lugging heavy bags up two flights of stairs and having to pay extra for the "privilege" of parking!! As it had started to rain we decided to eat-in. Another mistake. Food was ordinary and we waited for ages for our food. On the plus side the waitress gave us a free glass of wine to apologise for the delay. Only thing I can say is the hotel is close to the University, the shops and the museum. Avoid unless desperate.

Room Tip: No airconditioning, so try for a lower floor in summer.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Great location but I feel the hotel is in much need of modernisation ,our room was very hot and the fan was working overtime to cool us down.
The bar and restaurant have a very dated feel about them.
It was very noisy both nights outside the hotel which kept us awake.
Great staff who worked hard to compensate for the hotels short comings

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family