“Needs renovation”

Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Plymouth
dubai
“Needs renovation”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a hotel that stopped in the 80's, everything looks really dated, and it is like visiting your grandmother's house. The bed has a whole in the middle.

Service was OK, except for Stephanie in the front desk who was quite unpleasant from the check in experience and other instances, not friendly and too arrogant for this industry.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed at the Copthorn Hotel for one night, between ferry and train. I regularly use this hotel, as it is located very close to the rail station. The staff is always very friendly, the room was clean, but unfortunately here ends the positive side.
The hotel is in need of an extensive refurbishment. The rooms are dated, tv sets have been unchanged for at least 16 years (I have been using the hotel that long!), the decor is even older, and it certainly is a poor 3-star. Used to be 4-star, a few years ago, this just shows the lack of interest the Millenium group has in this hotel.
And finally the food... Now I prefer room service so I cannot comment on restaurant choices, but the menu is very limited, no starters on offer, and bad pub grub for mains or "snacks". Really, even Premier Inn does better!
I can't help notice that the last 2 replies to reviews were word for word the same, so obviously the management is not interested in addressing the issues raised.
I think that I will now, sadly, switch to the Holiday Inn...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank leolon
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us here at the Copthorne hotel Plymouth. It is always great to receive feedback from regular guests like yourself.

I appreciate your comments regarding the decor of the hotel and as per my colleagues previous responses, we are aware that the hotel is in need of updating and plans are in the early stages. However, since your last stay with us, we have replaced our 7 year old TV's with new flat screen sets in each bedroom.

I understand that this is not the full development needed but it is a step in the right direction.

As a hotel, we pride ourselves on our friendly, accommodating service and welcome all feedback be it positive or negative in order to move forward.

I have noted your comments ref the hotel food offering and will pass this on to our Kitchen team for review. Our restaurant menus are changed seasonally and often offer a variety of dishes to cater for all needs. This may be something to look at with our room service menu.

I appreciate that you may have found the previous responses to reviews somewhat repetitive, however as a hotel as strive to maintain a professional approach and where possible stay within the guidlines given from Tripadvisor regarding responses.

I do hope that you do decide to return in the future so that we may restore your faith in the Copthorne hotel Plymouth and welcome you to contact myself directly to arrange your next stay.

Kind regards
Claire Webb
Revenue Manager
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We booked the hotel after reading on the website that it was modern.

When we checked in the room was old fashioned with a CRT TV, 22 year old hairdryer (electrical test sticker) and a less than double bed. The room was dusty and we had to use air-freshener to make it nicer.

I complained on twitter and got no response. The staff were too busy to complain to in person. I left my email address on the comment card should they wish to follow up my feedback. I don't hold my breath for an actual response.

The staff that we saw were lovely though!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if possible!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Reception Shift Leader at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest

May I firstly apologise that you have not had a pleasant stay and stay and the Hotel has not lived up to the expectations you had. May I also apologise that no one has responded to your complaint sooner.

The Copthorne Hotel Plymouth has been open for a number of years and some of our product is in need of modernisation. We are in the early stages of a planned refurbishment but would not expect work to commence until mid 2014. However we are currently making small changes to improve the hotel. Starting with the introduction of flat screen TV’s to all bedrooms.

I am glad that our staff made a positive impact on you and hope that you choose to return to us at some point in the future and allow us the chance to make your next stay more memorable.

Many Thanks,
Reception Shift Leader.

Travelers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

Limassol
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in this hotel as I wanted to be close to the city.
The rooms are old fashioned and smelly (carpets everywhere).
The service is really bad! We waited at the bar for 15minutes until someone comes to take our order.
During the 2nd night of my stay opposite my room there was a party, in the seminar room, and it was noisy until 01:00 o clock. Its also a non smoking hotel but you could smell the cigarettes from the party room (seminar room).
They charge 5£ per day for wifi and 1£ per 15minutes!!
The location is very good as it is closed to the city centre and the Plymouth University and the receptionist really polite. Other than that there is no reason to stay in this hotel since you can find cheaper hotels around the area!
Wont be visiting this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor rooms and NOT close to the reception as it is very noisy!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CopthornePlymouth_UK, Reception Shift Leader at Copthorne Hotel Plymouth, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Please accept our apologies that your recent stay with us has not been a pleasant one. As a busy 3 star hotel we pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of customer service and we are sorry this has not been the case for you. Your comments have been forwarded to the relevant teams and will be taken in board to improve future service.

As a hotel we are aware that we are in need of an injection of capital and we are in the early planning stages of refurbishment.

Should you ever find yourself in Plymouth again, please contact me directly to organise your return trip and allow me the opportunity to restore your faith in the Copthorne Plymouth.

Kind Regards,
Fleet, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked this hotel 2 months in advance as my husband and I were taking our Daughter back to university and wanted to be in the city. Two days before our stay I got a reminder of our reservation by e-mail. The afternoon before our stay we had a phone call to say the hotel was overbooked and we had been booked into a hotel which was not even in the city. We were very angry but needed a place to stay, so accepted this. They were going to e-mail all the details to us. We are still waiting. I contacted the new hotel and got all the details. I have since heard that the Copthorne frequently overbooks. I would not use them again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maureen M
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear of the inconvenience caused to you due to the system error resulting in your reservation being relocated to another hotel last week. It is not hotel policy to overbook and this was due to a techinal error for which we apologise.

I understand that the late notice of the relocation would have been stressful and appreciate that this would have impacted your plans. We did try to keep guests within the centre of Plymouth but unfortunatley, due to the University Graduations all hotels were already full by the time we were made aware of the system error.

I do hope that you decide to return to us in the future and would like to offer my personal assistance in arranging your next visit.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Kind regards
Claire Webb
Revenue Manager
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Ive stayed here a few times in the past. It's always been ok. Middle of the road 3 star hotel now a bit jaded but good value.
But dont be fooled by the cheap rate quoted. They charge extra for everything.
I was particularly incensed by their quoting £5/day for the use of wifi. That's a rate of £150/month to you and I. For each room.
I explained at reception that I thought this was counter productive as it would just send me to the nearest cafe/pub/restaurant where I would use their free internet and who would then get my custom. The receptionist agreed that it was a stupid policy. But could do nothing about it.
So, albeit with some inconvenience, I did as I said I would. We probably spent about £350 on food and drink outside the hotel in the time we were in Plymouth.
I'm sick of this attitude in UK. We travel extensively and find free wifi almost everywhere but here. Vietnam, for instance, was amazing; free, courteous service everywhere.
We'll not be staying with Copthorne/Millenium hotels again.

Oxford
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Once upon a time this was a 4 star hotel. It is not anymore. Extremely tired overall, room was hot, stuffy, with a smell of decay. It a real shame because when it was built (late 90s) it was a top place to stay. You pay extra for the car parking below the hotel but they don't seem to have a quota system so it is highly likely when you go to park, it will be full. Not much fun late at night. Will not stay there again.

1 Thank KebabOxford