“Good choice, really charming”
Review of Old Pier House

Old Pier House
Old Pier House
Ranked #38 of 78 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“Good choice, really charming”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We enjoyed our stay there very much. The host, a lady, was really lovely and helpful. For breakfast we were offered a good choice. The room was clean and comfortable, with a wash basin. Shared bathroom, but that was really ok.
The B&B is situated close to the sea front but you have to walk about 10-15 minutes to reach the city center (bus station). The rail station is about 1.4 miles away, but there are buses to the city centre (Royal Parade).
So we can recommend the B&B.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Was greeted by Wendy who was incredibly friendly and welcoming after I arrived at 10 o'clock at night. The guest house was clean had everything I required. The bed was not the most comfortable I've ever slept in but it was adequate. The breakfast was great-it had everything that you would expect and delivered to a good standard. All in all I thought that for the price it could not be faulted.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Wolverhampton
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I booked a single room, it was typical of a B and B, but had the advantage of having a bit more space around the bed. I was able to connect to the internet, very useful because I had a Skype interview to conduct. Breakfast was freshly cooked and managed very quickly. I would advise a new shower dial, it was difficult to know which side was hot and cold and some darker curtains and blinds.

Room Tip: Take an eye mask.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Brest, France
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I spent a week in Wendy's guest house at the end of July and it has proved a very enjoyable one. Wendy is a wonderful hostess, attentive, providing helpful advice on where to go to get the most of this lovely part of England. I highly recommend her place to those who look for friendly hospitality and relaxed atmosphere. Thanks a million to her for the long and interesting conversations we have had together.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Lovely comfortable room, superb breakfast, welcoming and very helpful host, easy to park and so close to the ferry terminal, the Hoe and the Sea front. Quiet location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We were told by the owner of The old pier house that we should arrive in the afternoon around four to be able to check in. However after trying to negotiate the terrible traffic we arrived an hour late very tired and hungry only to find that the free parking promised did not exist. After being forced to pay and park across the road from the B&B we were greeted by the rather angry owner who informed us upon reaching us that we were late and she wanted to go out for a drink with her friends! Not exactly a warm welcome, however she soon became friendly and chatty again and led us to our room, which we were confused to find had no en suite. Having paid for one we asked the owner whether maybe she had taken us to the wrong room. Her reply was brisk as she told us that this room didnt have an en suite (a fact we had already worked out) and that all the other rooms were full. So we settled into our room only to find a cat cuddled up in the blankets on my friend's bed, I myself do not mind cats however my friend does not react so well to them. Aside from the cat the room was fine until the next morning when the builders across the road started. To add insult to injury the cat was sat on a chair at the breakfast table the next morning. The only thing about this place that was faultless was the food however not even that could tempt me to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the house are quieter and do not count on getting an en suite.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jess J
London
Reviewed January 11, 2012

- all very good really and I would have given it five stars except that I'm not fond of cats

This is an excellent value traditional B&B and I would definitely stay here again. Good and clean with tea making facilities in the room. Personable welcome and the flexibility to offer something healthier (delicious fresh fruit smoothie) than the standard cooked breakfast.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business