“Great pub, just stay clear of the mussels!”
Review of The Mussel Inn - CLOSED

The Mussel Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great pub, just stay clear of the mussels!”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The staff were lovely and although the pub did not look like very much inside, it was still very welcoming. My partner enjoyed his T-bone steak and chocolate brownie and I had the 1kg of mussels and the cheese board. Everything was great, including the Rioja. Unfortunately, I woke up in the middle of the night with stomach cramps and vomiting. I believe it was the mussels (although I have never had a bad reaction to shellfish before). I would still recommend the pub, just stay clear of the mussels.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Irene L

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Friendly, welcoming and excellent food”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Recently stayed in the area and had both lunchtime sandwiches and some evening meals here. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and eager to please. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. The Thursday night specail is extremely good value. Only negative we found was dogs were allowed inside including in the resturant area.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank leisure_traveller35
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“poor veggy choice”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were staying at the caravan site.Four of us came for a meal at 6pm,on a thursday,only to find them fully booked.We did manage to eat at the bar,the veggy choice was very poor, 2 choices only. I was very dissapointed.The desserts seemed to have been brought in nothing was stated as HOME MADE we asked for clotted cream instead of ice cream,but no such luck.So we didnt have a dessert.The waiters/waitresses seemed very disorganised .Bit of a letdown to end our holiday.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank sheilacn
devon england
“Saucy mussels, perhaps not !”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had looked forward to eating here as the reports were positive, one of my favourite dishes is mussels in a cream, wine and garlic sauce and for my husband a baguette with steak, onions and tomatoes. He declined the onions as he likes them very brown and crisp.
I asked that the garlic should be a gentle application in the sauce, as I enjoy being kissed by my husband ! But sadly the sauce had not even a hint of garlic, it was a cream watery tasteless liquid, the accompanying roll was very small, certainly not big enough to soak up any sauce had it been appetizing, I suspect the wine looked at the sauce and retreated, through lack of interest.
As to my husbands steak baguette, the steak was covered in a very salty sauce, NOT mentioned on the menu and lacking the tomatoes. Sauces should be offered at the table for personal preference, especially if one is careful about salt intake. With regard to the toasted baguette, again not mentioned on the menu, it arrived very hard and not a fresh baguette as expected.
The young waitress approached us and we mentioned the lack of tomatoes, she offered to rectify the matter but by this time my husband had lost interest in the meal and left the toasted baguette, for by now it had gone hard.
While I went to the loo my husband paid the bill, and I had the opportunity to speak with the kitchen staff, on returning to the bar, They explained that the sauce is always used, the rolls baked ( I did wonder whether they were stale or taken from a freezer, which would explain why they went very hard before completion of the meal ! ). It was obvious from their lack of interest, apart from telling me I should have complained ....... which is what I thought I was doing !
It is a pity that we had this experience, and we phoned on our return home to speak with the manager, who was sadly not available, I explained the problem to the helpful and friendly barmaid who advised that she would advise the manager of our disappointing lunch.
I do hope they make more of an effort, because poorly presented and tasteless food should not leave the kitchen. These comments are meant to be constructive criticism and hopefully help toward a better dining experience for others.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank gina s
“Cosy family food pub well worth a visit.”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Dog friendly and welcoming to families. A short walk from the caravan club site, and offering a food discount too. 3 good real ales and a good selection of well priced meals -I'd specially recommend the huge rack of ribs for just a tenner. Staff very helpful and cheerful.

• Visited August 2013