“Something has changed for the worse.”

Chambers Restaurant & The Notte Bar
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Either the management or the chef. We used to come every couple of months or so but had not been since late last summer. It used to be friendly efficient bustling with a good medium sized menu, efficiently served, well cooked and good value without any silly pretensions or claims. We were so disappointed last week to find that despite retaining the upstairs dining room and still having plenty of customers, the food is not so good, the combinations less satisfying, the vegetables either over or under cooked and the meats we had were in one case a bit bristly and another stone cold on the plate awash with a bland sauce. Chambers was a good default comfortable safe bet but we can no longer regard or recommend it as that. Maybe we went in on an exceptional bad fay but some of the other reviews suggest otherwise. Historically we feel loyal and will probably give it one last chance.

2  Thank ChasC_12

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Visited this restaurant for a family celebration. We were having a 90th birthday party. Clearly the restaurant could not cope. Had to wait ages for the waitress to take the order. The food when it came was disappointing- possibly due to the very large menu. Unripe and hard melon was served, the main course eventually came out 2 hours after the time we had booked the table. The main courses were terrible. Tasteless fish, hard steak, and indiscernible duo duck dish covered is some gunk that was supposedly a sauce. It was tough and horrible. Due to the lousy service we had to leave quickly as we had a taxi booked. One family member suffered with stomach problems following the meal. I will never visit this restaurant again.

6  Thank JayRCornwall
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We have been to Chambers before and had had a good meal. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to expectations this time. My husband and I had moules to start with, which were delicious. Our main course was monkfish medallions, king prawns and scallops with mashed potato and a variety of vegetables. Unfortunately, the fish was so overcooked, my husband left half of his food. We advised the waitress of this and she told the chef. We then had a sorbet between us for dessert and also a bottle of wine. Although this is not a top of the range restaurant, neither is it cheap at nearly £24 per person for 2 courses, wine separate. When receiving the bill, we noticed that the cost of the dessert had not been charged for, we presume as a way of compensation for the main course, although nothing was mentioned by the waitress. I suppose one disappointed visit should not influence us in the future but we will think twice.

6  Thank Susan C
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I am not sure if the chef was having a bad night because I ate in this restaurant 8 weeks ago on a Groupon deal and the food was fine.I therefore fully intended to go the whole three course £27.95 experience.it was nearly an hour before our order was taken and a furthur 30 minutes before the food arrived-I did'nt mind this until my starter of rubberised pidgeon breast on a pile of tasteless green rice pudding arrived ! I sent this back and held out for a decent main course-rib eye steak,pepper sauce and crushed potatoe-I have no idea why they asked me twice how I wanted it cooked it was so thin it was always going to come out like a piece of braised steak with a fairly tasty but almost certainly commercialy prepared pepper sauce.Crushed potatoe amounted to some lumpy mash and the final insult was a half a tomatoe and two soggy onion rings-I paid up twenty pounds for this not at all tempted by the puddings.
My friend had a burnt pastry top to her beef wellington and another had hot balsamic glaze on her duck-very overpowering as well as lazy.Others in the group said their food was delicious so perhaps I was just unlucky however at this price luck should not come into it

7  Thank plymouthontour2
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We had a Groupon voucher which we were allowed to use a week after it had run out. The restaurant is not much to look at from outside and is upstairs on the main road and cosy inside. The tables are quite close together and I had a table leg in the way which made it quite uncomfortable while eating my meal. However, the service was excellent and the staff very friendly. I enjoyed the food which was very tasty and well presented. I would definitely go back again.

1  Thank Anon402