“Clean with large rooms, but disappointing”

Roman House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plymouth
Roman House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #54 of 79 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have just spent 3 nights at the Roman House B&B as a party of myself and my husband, my sister, my daughter and her boyfriend. The rooms are indeed large and the house was spotless, but having read the previous reviews, we were disappointed. For example, I feel it is very unfair to offer a double room which doesn't even have a double bed. The bed was probably big enough for 2 slight teenagers, but a pair of pillows extended over the edge of the bed by 3 or 4 inches each side, so could hardly be described as a double. Mike did put another single in for us to make us more comfortable, but this was also a small single. The boiler in the house is only adequate for a normal family home, not a B&B business, so the hot water soon ran out when we were all trying to have showers to go out to a party. The breakfast was very nice, but I wouldn't describe it as huge (two thin slices of bacon, half a tomato, a spoonful of beans and one egg, with toast). The biggest problems with the breakfast was that it was served so early (between 7 and 8 on weekdays and up to 8.30 at weekends) and we were asked to stagger the meals so that they didn't have to cook them all at once. I didn't expect there to be a problem with cooking 5 small breakfasts in one go! On our last morning, my sister was served her breakfast 25 minutes after my husband was served his. Another big disappointment is that, on the website, it says that tea and coffee facilities are provided in the rooms, but in fact, they do not provide coffee. Not everybody likes tea. I know you get what you pay for, and this was very reasonably priced. However, I feel a bit of money spent on things like a double bed, electric showers and COFFEE would go a long way.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We came to Plymouth overnight for a family wedding at The Dockyard which was only a five minute taxi ride away. We had a lovely warm welcome from Mike who was very helpful. The rooms were very large and most comfortable, and breakfast was cooked just right, very filling with plenty on offer. The secure parking was a bonus. If we come to Plymouth again we would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Lovely warm welcome, A thoughtful host and hostess who made the stay very easy and as convenient as possible.
Good breakfast and lovely rooms. If I come to Plymouth again will defintely stay again

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Ania & Mike (& Kit) very welcoming guests and the cooked breakfasts were just right. Room spacious, comfortable, quiet and large, with wifi on offer for internet access. Found the B&B a little hard to find in the dark on my arrival as down a back driveway so get directions if arriving at night! Marjohn campus a reasonably easy bus ride away or a 45 min brisk walk (albeit along busy road).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I spent 7 nights spread over 3 weeks with Mike and Ania whilst on business at the nearby Land Registry HQ. As an alternative to dreary "Travel Inns" Roman House was perfect. You'll get a warm welcome, good company, a fab breakfast and a spacious, quiet room with TV and tea making facilities plus en-suite overlooking a green oasis. Oh and secure off road parking.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Many thanks to Mike and Ania for a lovely stay.
Location is ideal to travel to the town centre.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here for four nights whilst flat hunting for my daughter. Mike & Ania were the perfect hosts and made us feel very welcome. They put a single bed into the ensuite double room to enable us to have a bed each, allowed us the use of their wifi internet for our laptop, would always give us milk for a cup of tea on request and laid out the dining table for one evening when we had a Chinese takeaway. The room was huge and the shower lovely and hot every time we used it. The double bed seemed small but was very comfortable and I agree with a previous comment that a lock or bolt for the bedroom door would be good. Car parking was off road and very secure. Thank you both for a wonderful introduction to Plymouth.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family