“Don't bother”

Toby Carvery
Ranked #269 of 722 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Roborough. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Plymouth’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
“Don't bother”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I went there this evening with my husband and daughter to be told there would be a 20 minute wait with only turkey being available! Now considering its a Sunday and most people like a roast on a Sunday, how poor to only have 1 meat available when they are supposed to have 4. It's not the first time we've encountered problems, but we certainly won't be rushing back in a hurry.

• Visited May 2013

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“very good as usual”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

i relly like lord loises and excelllent as you can have as much as you want. in general most of the staff are polite but one very rude girl waitress. always good value food and coke always nice, excellent price big seating area. high chairs outdoor seating and toilets all avilable and spotlessly clean, i will always return to there.

Visited April 2013
Oxford
“In need of refurbishment.”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Arrived at 5.30 pm hoping the food would be freshly cooked. Very disappointed as the roast potatoes tasted as if they had been kept warm since lunchtime. Meat was carved so thinly it disintergrated as it was placed on our plates. However, the Yorkshire puddings were delicious. The drinks waiter was so rushed off his feet the drinks arrived after we had started eating. The seats were grubby and the whole place needs smartening up. If you want to fill yourself up with the help yourself veg and not pay a fortune, then fine, but don't go there if you want to impress someone!

• Visited March 2013
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your time or money”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Having just started to eat normal foods after a recent jaw injury I was looking forward to a carvery with members of my family one of whom suggested the George. On arrival we noticed the place looked dirty, there were bits of food and tissue on the floor, may uncleared tables and no one to serve us. After waiting for a few minutes at the entrance to the restaurant we ventured to the bar to order drinks, I asked if they had any pure fruit juice which I was assured they had but was then given a fruit drink containing both water and added sugar which I had clearly stared I did not want. The lady serving was very pleasant but didn't seem to understand anything about the drinks she was serving, she struggled to find items on the till and had to wander off to re-stock other items .

We were told to wait by another table where someone would guide us to our table. Another lady showed us our table and left us to peruse the menu. We all decided to have the carvery as it looked like good value for money and we could pick and choose the items we wanted.

I went to the carvery first and opted for a selection of vegetables and a small piece of beef which I planned to take home for my cat. All the veg looked over-cooked and pretty unappetising but I thought I would give it a go anyway. The gravy didn't look great either so rather than covering my food I placed a few drips of gravy on the side of my plate so I could finger test it, all 3 gravies on offer were disgusting so I took some horseradish instead to liven up the plate.

The food was cold from the start, tasteless, over-cooked and everything seemed to be covered in some sort of oily glaze (I have seen this used at other carveries and it is supposed to make the food look more attractive on the hotplates but it does nothing for either the taste or the health value of the food). Some of the potatoes were hard in the middle and you could tell that they were old potatoes. I ate very little of what was on my plate.

My Mum and Great Uncle were also extremely disappointed in their meals and hardly touched their plates either. When the lady came to clear the table she asked if the food was OK, my Uncle said "Have you tried cutting through the potatoes or Yorkshire puddings?", the lady grabbed a knife, leaned across the table and started to cut through the food, one potato cut easily but the second did not, she then tried the Yorkshire pudding which she also failed to cut through, she made a joke and then removed the plates offering little apology for the awful food or offering any discount on the bill.

I asked if I could have a piece of tin foil to wrap the beef in to take home of my cat but was told this was not allowed due to health and safety although the lady was unable to tell me which bit of health and safety legislation was being referred to. I was always under the impression that when you paid for food it was yours, all the good restaurants that I frequent are more than happy to let me take items home rather than simply returning them to the kitchen where they will be binned.

I decided to order a cup of tea and asked for either Earl Grey or peppermint but was told they only had normal tea, I decided to enquire as to whether the tea was fairtrade but was just met with a look of disbelief, I decided not to waste any more time trying to order tea.

Thankfully I wasn't paying the bill otherwise I would have kicked up more of a fuss but my Uncle just wanted to pay and go stating that he would not like to eat there again.

The staff were pleasant but obviously had no staff training and were probably all on minimum wage, the only winners here are the owners of the chain.

To summarise this place not recommended at all, it is the worst kind of chain pub/restaurant imaginable.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sam_Remmer
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great value Carvery”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Went to the Toby Carvery yesterday (Wednesday 10th), was greeted by a friendly table host, who took us to a nice corner table with plenty of space. Luckily were not put on a two person table cramped in between two families (hopefully nobody has to sit there). Was very busy, but the waiter still managed to get to us reasonably quickly. Ordered quickly and was ready to go up and queue for the Carvery- this queue went quickly despite being quite long. The meats looked very delicious especially the turkey. Home made Yorkshire puddings were gorgeous, as well as amazing carrots and lovely selection of potatoes, veg and cauliflower cheese. They had mash!!!! Yummy! Love the fact it's bottomless Pepsi! And also the king size seems a great deal at 7.50, however the normal size was ample for me and great value. Would definitely return.

• Visited April 2013