“Marcella and Pete”

Ranked #22 of 24 Lynton B&B and Inns
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Marcella and Pete”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We're just back from a short break to Lynton, where we stayed at Waterloo House. Well I must say we couldn't have had a warmer welcome from both Penny and Paul. We were accompanied by our cocker spaniel, the main reason we chose Waterloo House as they are advertised as being dog friendly. We stayed in the suite, which had everything we needed from an excellent selection of hot drinks to a bookcase containing books to suit every taste. Every morning after wolfing down our excellent breakfasts, cooked to perfection by Paul, Penny would advise us where to go walking and recommend places to visit. We most definitely will be back to Lynton as it is a beautiful place and so dog friendly with plenty to do for those who enjoy the outdoor life, and we look forward to staying in Waterloo House. Thanks again Penny and Paul

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul O, Owner at Waterloo House, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you Marcella and Pete for this review. New Website coming soon so keep checking
for Spring Summer special offers. Exceptional deals next Autumn and Winter. Penny and I would like to see you again.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
south wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

What a truly lovely place. Penny and Paul could not have made us anymore welcome. Everything was perfect. we especialyy enjoyed having a chat and a glass of wine with them both at the end of the evening to celebrate Penny's birthday. Would highly reccomend a visit and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The suite at the top of the house was lovely
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul O, Owner at Waterloo House, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
This excellent review is very much appreciated.
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had a really nice weekend at Waterloo House. We were greeted with a warm and friendly welcome from Penny. Our room was spacious, and the bed was really comfortable. It was lovely and had everything we needed, and the fresh milk in the fridge was appreciated.

Dinner at Waterloo House was very nice and Paul had obviously sourced the best local ingredients and clearly gone to a lot of effort. Breakfast was also lovely. Waterloo House is a very quaint, traditional Guest House which is exactly as they advertise and why we chose to stay there.

Penny and Paul were very kind, and went out of there way to ensure we had an enjoyable and relaxing stay. They even let us use there parking space all weekend.

The location is also great, with beautiful walks just a stones throw away. We will definitely be visiting again thanks to Penny's recommendations of local places to see.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul O, Owner at Waterloo House, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for a great review. It is very satisfying to be appreciated
Ferndown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a great stay with Paul & Penny an experience we have no hesitation in recommending to others
Their hospitality was first rate & the quality of the food was excellent both breakfast and evening meals
Pennys enthusiasm for the local area with all its rugged beauty and charm is matched by Pauls love of fine dining which is expressed in the meals served
All in all we left feeling that we had made some friends and we will return to stay with them again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul O, Owner at Waterloo House, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Penny and Paul at Waterloo House are very grateful to Tony and Lynn for this excellent review.
Gorran Haven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Waterloo House is exactly as promoted. Warm, welcoming, clean,comfortable, traditional and client friendly. Penny and Paul are excellent hosts anxious that their guests' stay is as enjoyable as possible. Paul's first rate cooking made our 3 day Christmas break something special. We chose the suite situated at the top of this Georgian house and even though the weather was decidedly wet and windy we were very cosy. The "L shaped" open plan of the suite worked well with the TV ,coffee table, book case and two very comfy,snoozy armchairs as you enter. A firm but comfy bed gave us three very good nights sleep,there was plenty of drawer space and a wardrobe and the fridge contained fresh milk. There was also a large dressing area off which was a generous sized shower room plenty of power and heat in the shower. In the suite there were sockets sufficient to charge mobile phones, cameras and ipads. No wifi but then we knew that before we came.
This is a new venture for Penny and Paul and we wish them every success, they deserve it. We love Lynton and Lynmouth and now we have discovered Waterloo House we will be visiting more regularly

Paul O, Owner at Waterloo House, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Our first Christmas package at Waterloo House was a success thanks to our guests Pat and Trevor and Anne and Dave. Penny and I are grateful for the friendly ambience they created for themselves and for us too. It was a pleasure to ensure our guests had a relaxed Christmas with food they enjoyed. We cannot ask for more except to get even better.
Epsom, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

My partner and I booked a three night stay through Groupon and having read the previous reviews were looking forward to our stay. However we ended up leaving a night early due to the despicable rudeness of one of the owners. On their website it says that Waterloo House is for people who “seek old fashioned service so rarely found today” I don’t know what they see as old fashioned but it is miles from what I imagine it to be.

The room’s décor was okay and the house wasn’t too bad. Unfortunately though the heating would only come on for an hour and half all day, which after it went off made the room extremely cold to the point that we were both wearing four layers and still feeling frozen. On the first night we stayed we got back from our meal around 7:30 to a freezing room and no heating. I went down to tell the owners that it wasn’t on. I wasn’t even acknowledged presence and I was turned away bluntly being told “it’s about to go on”. It did go on just after 8 but just as the room started to warm the heating went off again and soon the room turned back to freezing forcing my partner and I into layers of clothes and sheets.

The next night the same thing happened so we decided that I should go down to let him know that we were both uncomfortably cold. I was greeted with a rude “what do you want?!” I apologised for disturbing him and said that as soon as the heating goes off the room is very cold. He replied telling me “that’s right that’s when the heating goes off” and “I can’t just afford to put the heating on all day”. He then turned his back and walked down the stairs leaving me stunned at his abruptness. The fact that it was cold was bad enough but had he have been polite and shown some consideration I would probably not be writing this review. I did not expect him to put the heating on all day but maybe a reply such as - sorry about that, I can’t turn the heating back on but I can get some extra blankets if you are feeling cold would have been suffice (still would have been disappointed but not angry)

My partner and I decided that we would not stay the third night. Firstly because of the owners discourtesy and secondly because of the temperature of the room. I wanted to tell the owner why we were leaving and to let him know that I had been offended by how he was the previous night. When he saw that we were leaving he looked like Christmas had come early. I said that I had been offended by how he had been towards us, to which he replied, “Your room is worth £255 and you have only paid £120. I only get £77 because of Groupon. David Cameron has cut my pension, time’s are hard, that’s just life.” Further to this he said that if we wanted luxury, we should have stayed at Claridges, or The Ritz and that he had stayed in places where they didn’t put the heating on, and how you have to just get into bed to keep warm. As well as this we were told that WE were rude for going down to breakfast at 9:15 on the first morning of our stay (the guestbook stated that breakfast we were able to eat at 9:15 latest as well as another member of staff telling us so) and that he had cooked us breakfast the following morning and he was disgusted that we hadn’t come down for it.

We were both totally shocked by what the owner had said. Regardless of how much we had paid for the room, to treat your customers with such distain is an absolute outrage. Regardless what we paid we should be treated the same as any other customer. Secondly, we never said once that we were expecting luxury. All I said was that we were both extremely cold in our room. Thirdly, it is not our problem or indeed fault that Groupon have taken a cut, and that his pension has decreased. We have paid our hard earned money to enjoy a relaxing and comfortable break, and don’t expect to be treated so badly and to stay in a freezing cold room. The 8-9:15 breakfast isn’t ideal, and a more accommodating Guest house would offer it for a few more hours. However, I accept that if that is how they want to do it then that is their perogative. It is our own choice if we want to go down for it or not! You would have thought that most places would wait until their guests had come down before cooking breakfast?
We have both never experienced such poor hospitality.

I am stunned by how we were treated. Reading back my review it looks like an exaggeration, but I insure you that I have given an honest, accurate account of our experience. It is a shame that we had to cut our trip a night short, as Lynton and the surrounding areas are truly beautiful parts of the earth.

7 Thank ThomasLancefield
Paul O, Owner at Waterloo House, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
I offer the same contempt as I did in my previous response to the same people making the same ridiculous review a few short weeks ago. They have responded to two more very good reviews. Sensible people will make up their own minds. Shame on Trip Advisor for falling for such contemptible reviews clearly designed for mischief.
United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Booked suite room, expecting a suite. Do a couple chairs shoved into the corner count as that?

Bed really uncomfortable (I've stayed at many BnB's and never experience anything like it), bad furnishings, horrible thin little curtains letting through cold air. No phone in room, or Wifi! (Are we in the 18th century?!)

Breakfast is from 8 - 9-15 A.M. Being a 9-5 worker. I was really looking forward to awaking without an alarm, which I was unable to do. I had no choice in what breakfast I could eat. It's just given to you. It was a bog-standard English breakfast - the bacon tasted cheap and hard. Definitely not worth the early alarm for! They tried to con me into eating at the 'restaurant'

I absolutely LOVED the area, so it was a massive shame I chose to stay here in Waterloo House. The people who own Waterloo House are new to the area, as I was told by some regulars. A lovely local I met in a cafe, gave me a tip of staying at 'The Rising Sun' in the future. If you just turn up there and ask for a room, they charge 44 pounds, and apparently it's the best in town. It is also opposite the sea.

I am returning to the area to stay at 'The Rising Sun', but I wish to never set eyes on 'Waterloo House' ever again. A massive shame.

Room Tip: Basically, don't stay here if you want a decent room.
6 Thank speakthetruth_10
Paul O, Owner at Waterloo House, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
This vindictive review says more about the authors than Waterloo House.
Common sense and decency suggests checking al other Trip Adviser reviews for a balanced assessment. We have moved on, and welcome current and forthcoming guests that may wish to enjoy our AA award winning dining experience, and who prefer making up their own minds rather than being influence by one review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynton
The Bath Hotel
#1 of 9 in Lynton
Chough's Nest Hotel
Chough's Nest Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton

Been to Waterloo House? Share your experiences!