“Romantic Suprise”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Romantic Suprise”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Just got back from a weekend my boyfriend booked for us here. It was a total surprise to arrive to such a pretty place. All I knew was I was being taken to North Devon for the weekend. On arrival it was dark but from our room 9 window on the ground floor I could see the sea very close up from both the bathroom window and the bedroom one which added to the sense of mystery. It felt like being in a lighthouse! Really special view. Even had a little garden outside the window.

The boyfriend had bought some roses and Champagne with him and they didn't mind at all and when we asked for some flute glasses they also bought an ice bucket on a stand with the napkin in the side to the room! and a vase for the roses! Nothing was too much trouble all the time we were there.

We ate in the restaurant that night and the meal was first class. We sat by the window looking at the boats bobbing up and down in the harbour.

In the morning we ate a full english breakfast that was not greasy at all, infact a bit of fried bread would have helped get the bit of a guilty feeling and would not have gone amiss. It was all piping hot. James served us both the evening before and for this breakfast and he was a charming young guy (looked and acted a bit like Jimmy Carr).

The first day we went on the cliff railway up to Lynmouth and it was lovely to look around so many little shops and have a cream tea. We did start to walk up to the valley of the rocks but I didn't like the way we went because it had a quite narrow (for my liking) tarmac path around the top and the drop was so close with me not liking heights I had to turn back but the boyfriend carried on and I made my way back down to Lynmouth stopping at times to absorb all that was happening in the beautiful scene here and there. From high up it looked like a model village. Lots happening.

I particularly loved the little white bridge over to the hotel and the hills/cliffs around the town. Someone told us the Swiss like it there, they call it Little Swtizerland. Good to watch the surfers too, like lots of little tadpoles in the sea. We were changed to an upstairs room the second night so we got to see another view towards The Manor House and up the Gordge. The rooms and shower rooms were very clean with plenty of tea and coffee supplies. When, not if I go again I would ask for a room with a bath, just because I prefer baths but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if one was not available... I would just love to visit it again at any time of year, the summer it may be very busy!.

Thankyou everyone at The Rock Hotel, we had a lovely time.

Room Tip: The room on the ground floor was near the loos but we didn't notice anything upsetting about thi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Great location but our food was not. From the outside of the property and the prices of it's menu we expected a little bit more than just frozen grub. Both myself and my partner ordered burgers, I had the chicken and my boyfriend had beef, although both meals came with bacon and cheese neither had any flavour, which tells us only cheap produce had been used. The side salad was fine but the chips were totally standard, we paid £8.95 so was expecting hand made chips and burgers, smokey bacon and decent flavored cheese. Just disappointing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We had 2 rooms for one night (a single and double), both rooms were fantastic couldnt ask for better. Both were spotlessly clean and well equiped. We had 2 dogs with us who were accommodated with no fuss at all. They were able to join us for our evening meal and for breakfast (we were reserved a table in the bar rather than the restaurant, but it was equally as pleasant). The food was excellent and great value too, all piping hot and delicious. But the best thing about this hotel has to be the staff they were the friendliest and most helpful I have ever come accross. Nothing was too much trouble.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone without hesitation. Anyone looking to book this hotel should ignore any negative reviews and go for it. We will definitely be back, hopefuly for longer!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
PotomacMD
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Nice small hotel of 8 rooms in a tiny harbor village. Picturesque setting. Big room and bath. Food was good, generous breakfast and well prepared dinner, and staff, so very nice.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonnaPotomacMD
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The Rock House is a small hotel set right on the harbour in Lynmouth. The booking was made over the phone, and was done quickly, efficiently and with a friendly chat!

On arrival (in the middle of a rainstorm!) we were immediately greeted, swiftly booked in, and were offered help with the cases if we wanted it - nice to see from a small establishment. We were taken on a tour of the important places (bar and restaurant!) and then shown to our room.

The room was very comfortable with a double view - one window looking up the Lyn Gorge, the other looking over the river and town. Tea and coffee were in abundance on the "breakfast" tray and we were told that if we needed any more to just let them know. Although we were only staying two nights, there was enough wardrobe space for a weeks worth of stuff and more! The bathroom was clean and well appointed with a power shower, and large pump bottles of soap and shampoo were provided along with the fluffy towels.

We ate in the bar on the first night (Sunday) as the restaurant was fully booked, however the menu is exactly the same in both rooms. The food was very good, and I can highly recommend the Leek and Potato soup, so much so that I had it both nights! The bar has a decent selection of beers, with two guest ales, Guinness, and two lagers including San Miguel which I hadn't had for years ... very nice. They also had three or four malt whisky's so Sue was happy! Service in both the bar and restaurant was very good with the meals arriving piping hot, well cooked and well presented.

Breakfast was the usual "full English", (there was also a vegetarian full English) which was once again served quickly, was well cooked and was nicely hot, no evidence of the food having been kept warm in the kitchen! We were kept well stocked with tea, coffee and toast , with the toast nicely browned not white and anaemic as it sometimes arrives! Set us up for the day nicely.

I can't really find any down side to report, however we were only there two nights, but on the evidence of this short stay, I'd guess that there would be very little to complain about and anything that was wrong would be put right very quickly.

We found the hotel through the Tourist Board website, although it was listed under guest accommodation rather than a hotel, probably due to it's size of just 8? rooms, we Google mapped it and liked the location and were not disappointed.

All in all we recommend this hotel if ever you're looking to stay in the area.

David

Room Tip: The website has slideshows of the rooms all of which have a view of some sort - sea, river/town or v...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JustDavid55
Blackthorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed at The Rock for a long week-end at the end of July, we took our small dog with us and stayed in a designated room on the ground floor (perfect). The owners and staff made us feel very welcome and were very approachable and friendly. We would recommend The Rock and would not hesitate in rebooking in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Room adjacent to public lavatories and subject to doors banging, hand dryer noise and loud chats in corridor outside room. Decoration very poor and shower grouting mouldy in places. Staff friendly and food good. Would stop for food but never stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't book on ground floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kerrygold3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton
Kentisbury Grange
Kentisbury Grange
#1 of 1 in Kentisbury

Been to Rock House Hotel? Share your experiences!