“A hidden gem”
Review of Tors Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lynmouth
Tors Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
Hereford, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

With it's quirky and fascinating antiques and interior, it's sunny terrace with the best views in Lynmouth, Tors Hotel is a hidden gem. The staff were extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The children were made to feel welcome and the stay was rounded off by an excellent meal and great service. It's well worth the trip up the woodland path for it's food alone. It was a great start to our family holiday - will visit again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your email and for your great comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and that the food, views and antiques were to your liking. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ronald Marks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Appleby-in-Westmorland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

A well established hotel that is in need of updating in the bedrooms but the opportunity to find nooks and crannies in which to relax or have a meal more than makes up for this. Having a G&T out side on the terrace looking at the sunset over the harbour is a real treat.
The cooked breakfasts were of a good standard but were let down by poor preserves. What on earth the plastic mini bins on the tables were suppose to contribute to the experience I do not know.
However I would not rule the hotel out if I was visiting the area again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us

I look forward to welcoming you back soon for some more 'Martin Miller' Gin and Tonics in the sun!

Codsall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The best of these established hotels is their prime position. The Tors has it all. Good views and a lovely sun terrace where you can sit an enjoy the last of the day's sunny rays. I am 70 this year and found the woodland path to the village quite acceptable (I do not usually walk well). I am an antique lover so enjoyed the decor which is so in keeping with a classy traditional hotel. You can park at the back and they have a lift, so do not worry if you are not terribly mobile.
The food was good; the bedrooms clean and the staff are excellent.
The best of this hotel is its good ambience. Well run and the emphasis on pleasing.

Room Tip: sea view is nice but not necessary as the terrace has good seating
1 Thank Jo N
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your great comments. I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed the food, staff and the beautiful position of Millers at the Tors.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

It had been many year's since my wife and I stayed at the Tors, long before Martin Miller took over. We always found it to be a very good hotel, even way back. On arrival Kinga on reception offered a choice of two rooms, we took the seaview, bit of a no brainer really. The room was a Countesbury and was well appointed. The hotel's public rooms could be likened to Miss Haversham meets the Antiques Road Show meets the Saatchi Gallery, set dressed to make them appear slung together, very relaxing and candle lit at night. The food was very good, a breakfast as large as you wish and excellent quality three course dinner at £30 per head.
Lynmouth itself has to be one of the most scenic and romanitc places in Britain with many walks from the hotel to suit all. All the staff were fabulous. We found none of the problems encountered by others.There is plenty of parking if you include the upper level car park further up Countesbury Hill, giving direct access to the hotel's third floor.

3 Thank johnmelhuish
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the food and views were to your liking.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Weekend break What can i say we arrived Friday afternoon and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist !!! we were shown straight to our room which had a great view of the coastline and was clean and tidy. The Staff were Fantastic !!!!!! The Hotel was Great hotel !!!!! The Food was great !!!! and a lovely location thankyou !!! What more can i say

1 Thank paul b
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest, many thanks for you kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the location and food at Millers at the Tors.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to enjoy another stay with us.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Tired room: fixtures not fixed and a shower that has less water than the drought of 76 , building exterior was in need of love even after the so called refurb. Reception and Bar area had money, bling and poor taste thrown at them in equal quantities.

4 Thank Robert T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the style of the hotel, but we hope that individual tastes would not put you off returning in the future.

Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This hotel is in a great spot on the cliff over looking Lynmouth and the sea. There is a very small car park but it was not an issue for us during our stay but in busier times it culled be a problem if you had to park in the public car park and walk back up to the hotel.
We had a nice room with wonderful sea views. The bedroom and en suite were a little tired but it was spotlessly clean and there were beautiful new white fluffy towels. The walls, however, are paper thin and we were kept awake by the tv next door on the first night and the endless creaky floorboards above and next door in the mornings as people start moving around. i don't think I could have stayed more than 2 nights, we were so tired by the time we left.
We went to celebrate our recent engagement.
We stayed on a special offer for 2 nights with dinner on the first night. The dinner was quite expensive so I had high expectations. We were not disappointed, the food was excellent but unfortunately later in the evening, I felt very unwell which i can't pin directly down to the meal but I hadn't eaten anything else all day and the feeling of sickness etc stayed with me for the duration of my stay. I'm sure it was food poisoning and the hotel did look Ito it and have since called me but have basically said that as everyone else seemed to be ok it can't have been the food.

The breakfasts were excellent, not that I could really eat much of mine and the dining room has some tables looking out over the sea.
It was unfortunate that I was unwell so early during our stay as it did spoil things but I don't think I would stay here again as the hotel is too old, creaky and there are not enough places to sit and have a drink in the evenings as the set up is quite quirky. On a nice day there are plenty of chairs and tables outside but we had bad weather so couldn't do this.
On the special offer deal it was good value for money but I would have been very disappointed if I had paid full price.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
2 Thank AnnaD66
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

To address your comments;

We do have an overflow car park situated to the rear of the hotel for busier times.

Regarding the food, we had eight other guests in on the same evening who ate the same meal, on checking with them they had suffered no ill effects. The fish was also fresh in that day and therefore we feel that no responsibility can be placed on our hotel.

I would love to welcome you back to the hotel as we strive to ensure all guests enjoy their stay. If you would like to contact me directly on 01598 753 236 I would be happy to offer you a reduction in price for your stay.

Ronald Marks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#1 of 9 in Lynton
Chough's Nest Hotel
Chough's Nest Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton

Been to Tors Hotel? Share your experiences!