“Cancellation feedback”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Tors Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lynmouth
Tors Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
Hertfordshire
“Cancellation feedback”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I had booked four days dinner, bed and breakfast for my husband and me. However, when we arrived, it was clear that the hotel was unsuitable for my husband who has terminal cancer and is very frail. Along with a deterioration in his health since i booked, I realised that the 'short distance to the lift' was not quite so and as we use a wheelchair (He can use a stick for short distances) the hotel was not going to be suitable.(The decor i.e. thick rugs and distances - large distances from a to b.). The hotel was incredibly understanding and despite it being clear in the confirmation about paying a cancellation fee, they did not charge me anything. This was so understanding and much appreciated. Coupled with this, they identified an alternative with a suitable, ground floor room. Unbelievable customer service!

Room Tip: Cannot complete the ratings as no experience.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our hotel. We are very sorry that you could not stay with us as planned but I am very pleased that our staff found suitable accommodation for you.

Again many thanks for your review

Ronald Marks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Devon-England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

A sincere thank you to all the wonderful staff that made our recent visit such a delight. From the moment I booked this hotel until we left the service provided was excellent. Having experienced first hand the service and hospitality I am surprised at some of the trivia that people write. What difference does it make in respect of the colour of the toilet paper that featured in a review of this hotel, personally we thought that the small bin on the breakfast table was an excellent idea as it enabled you to dispose of wrappers and other sundry items thus giving the occupant an uncluttered table.
The location of this Devon Delight, set as it is into the hill side above Lynmouth, provides an ideal setting which in turn gives the resident some panoramic and exceptional views which can be enjoyed from sea facing rooms and the dinning room alike. This hotel punches above its weight, guests need to be aware that it is currently a 3 star hotel which provides a 5 star service I am confident that under the stewardship of Mr. Marks the General Manager this will change as he makes the necessary modifications that will ultimately result in more stars being awarded. The woodland walk, pathway down from the hotel to the town, whilst difficult and as advised not suitable for push chairs was managed by a 76 year old without undue difficulty. I think it is difficult to mention individual members of staff as without exception all went the extra mile to ensure that the guest had a pleasant stay, that said I must say that the receptionist Kinga warrants a special mention as she was always cheerful and extremely helpful. I must also say what a delightful couple of waitress's served us in the dinning room. We had two excellent evening meals cooked by Andy Collier and his team in the kitchen, the scallops my wife ordered were cooked to perfection, difficult as they are so often overcooked, his slow cooked belly of pork and lamb are to die for! Without doubt well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
1 Thank DevonshireWrinkle
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind comments about the food, hotel and service.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to enjoy another stay with us at Millers at the Tors.

port douglas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am sitting in the lounge of this hotel and I am quite baffled about some previous comments made about the food and chill factor in this hotel. I have just finished dinner which was quite delightful (as was the beautifully presented G & T) and whilst it is a cold night, I have just had to take my jumper off because the hotel is so warm (and that is not bad given I am from tropical Australia where the average temperature is 28 degrees and it does not take much for me to feel the cold).

This is an old worldly resort full of old worldly character and charm. The views are second to none, the service brilliant and the rooms are just fine. Remember this is a three star resort (with a five star service), so do not expect five star rooms. Very comfortable though. As for the artwork it would not be my cup of tea but certainly adds to the ambience and will certainly keep you interested.

I would have no hesitation in staying again.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a sea view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review and for your great comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to ensure all guests enjoy their stay and it is great to hear that the service and food were to your expectation.

Barnstaple, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We don't live very far from Lynmouth but upon reaching my room at The Tors Hotel, Lynmouth my first reaction was to say " why travel miles when you have this on your doorstep" ? A Lovely hotel in a stunning position & the staff were all so very friendly & helpful, they always had time to stop & talk as well as being obliging. It was a very cold weekend when we were there & we saw mentioned that people had complained that they were cold in their rooms but we certainly didn't find that, in fact quite the opposite. The food was superb & plenty of it & the public rooms furnishings were amazing. The views were superb & of course the walks in the area are as good as anywhere. We walked up to Watersmeet, a stunning location, then on up to Rockford, as good a walk as you will find anywhere in the country, coming back down to Lynmouth via The Two Moors way, makes you ready to relax on the deck in front of this superb hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 207 & if I ever go back I would ask for that room again, plenty of room &...
1 Thank Dwalker24
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your great comments on the food, staff and style of the Tors. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Once again thanks,

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

As a Classic Motorcycle club we book the whole hotel every year @ the opening of the season.
The management & staff are just lovely & make us most welcome. The food this year was absolutely superb as was everything else about this rather special place.

Room Tip: 117 is a sea view corner double. Great views of Harbour & the Sea.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brian G
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review! It is always a pleasure to greet the AJS motorbike group and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm going to split the review into positives and negatives as there is quite a bit to cover and I want to be as fair as I possibly can.

Positives

Staff. Staff staff staff. From check in all the way through the staff were brilliant. Friendly, helpful, patient - I do hope the Manager is aware of how wonderful the staff are with their residents.

Views. The views really are tremendous and I will remember them for a long time. Whether high noon or nearing midnight, the vista was just super.

Beds. I found the bed to be incredibly comfortable and I slept like a log. The linen seemed fresh and I had no complaint about the quality of the night's sleep.

Downstairs Areas - As one would expect from the Miller Antique's family, downstairs is crammed with all sorts of interesting objects. I wanted to purchase all the Beardsley prints in the downstairs Ladies loo immediately. Fun to look around. Pleasant groupings of chairs for groups to lounge or lunch at.

Outside Veranda - A recent upgrade, the veranda is lovely. Too cold for us to use, sadly, but will be a boon in warmer times.

Upper Car Park - Brilliant for those with any issue with steps, whether mobility or pushchair related. Looks hideous but very handy.

Breakfast - The setting for breakfast was, however, lovely (negative issues listed below). The table was well laid and the view, as I've mentioned, wonderful. By sitting in the lounge we were able to have our dog with us which was an absolute bonus. The staff were super.

Dog friendly but nothing particularly welcoming considering a charge is made. No dish or rug for example.

Negatives

Decor - We estimated that our room was probably last fully decorated in around 1992. There was chintzy fabric, rufffles, coronet bed canopies, floral wallpaper borders and all this felt very painfully juxtaposed against some stylish photos of movie stars. The hairdryer was a particular joy - I've uploaded a picture.

Cleanliness - Grubby paintwork, grubby door, the top of the bathroom heater covered in dust, mold on the window frame. When we awoke the windows were awash in condensation so in some ways the mold being under control was even somewhat impressive.

Bathroom - The showerhead is placed at collar bone level on me and I'm 6' tall. Useless and frustrating. No holder for (the peach) toilet paper which is just shocking. Hot and cold taps were the wrong way around. The curtains in the toilet did not hang properly nor meet in the middle.

Wifi - I realise it is hard to network a hotel. I don't even object to there only being wifi in the bar area downstairs at a tourist hotel. However I do object to the signal being so low one of our our ipads couldn't connect at all, and the other was left flailing to catch it, lose it, catch it. What's even more frustrating was that there was another business hub available showing as full strength! Really not good enough at all. Either make sure it works or don't offer it.

Food - We were asked if we would like to stay for dinner on the first night at £35 a head. We decided to utilise breakfast in order to see what the food standards might be like. Thank goodness we did. I was surprised at the mediocrity of the menu listing. No reference to a vegetarian offer at all, if that applies to you. Standard Full English or two fish options. I have attached a photo of my incredibly attractive plate of fish and a poached egg. I have stayed at some wonderful, much smaller, hotels that have made a real joy out of breakfast, stressing local produce and providing various options. None of that here. A real missed opportunity. On the basis of breakfast we steered well clear of other offerings from the restaurant. Coffee could do with being left on the table.

Bizarrely, on our second morning there we found a wheelie-bin on our table. What on earth? It was an advertising gimmick for a bin company. Either rude to guests or misjudged humour, I really couldn't tell.

Balcony - Room had a balcony but could only fit one chair on it and heaven help you if you scooted back by accident as the feet would have been straight over the edge. You'd have been safe due to railings, but heart failure a possible risk!

Heating - Areas of the downstairs rooms were freezing and our room struggled at times. A portable radiator had been provided to help.

Niggles - Two people in a twin room yet only one set of toiletries. Two bottles of water left in the room, but not replenished throughout the stay. TV reception very poor and fuzzy. No digital reception.

Essentially, what I found so very frustrating was that this has the potential to be a truly remarkable, experience hotel, a 'cant' miss' hotel. At the moment this potential is being woefully underused and this is a desperate shame.

I will just end by saying: the staff? The staff are great.

Room Tip: It's an upgrade for a sea view of £30 a night per room. If you like a view, it's a spectact...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kttravel08
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review and for your kind words. We do strive to ensure all guests enjoy their stay with us. Your comments have been noted and passed to the relevant departments.

Again thank you for your review.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay. A nice hotel with very friendly staff in a superb location. Quirky in nature and with bags of character I can imagine that this would be idyllic in the summer. However during our stay the weather was very cold, hardly the fault of the hotel, but the single glazing In the bedrooms meant that whilst we weren't cold we weren't as warm as we might have been even with the radiator on maximum. In the morning the windows were streaming with condensation. The rooms are of a decent size, the bathroom perhaps a little small but clean nonetheless albeit rather dated. We also found the public areas, particularly the bar to be chilly evidenced by the fact that we didn't see anybody use this area during our stay. The reception area was however warmer albeit the log fire wasn't even in use. The hotel is slightly better than average but certainly not 'VERY good' and hence the 3 star rating. The footpath down to the village is not suitable for the elderly or infirm so if you meet either of these criteria you would need to use your car. Would we stay again? Yes, for sure but at at warmer time of year. The restaurant food was good but we did think the wines to be pricey.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeterRUk
Ronald M, General Manager at Tors Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for you review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed our 'quirky' hotel and the fabulous views and food at Millers at the Tors.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon,

Ronald Marks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#1 of 9 in Lynton
Chough's Nest Hotel
Chough's Nest Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton

Been to Tors Hotel? Share your experiences!